PDA

View Full Version : Typical flyer response, 1/100 or 1/1,000?

jim d.
09-19-2005, 03:37 PM
I've seen several times around here over the last couple of months mention of flyers generating responses of either 1 out of 100 flyers or 1 out of 1,000. Given that I'm about to start a flyer campaign, I'm very interested in knowing what to expect. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jcs Lawn and Landscape
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
i think its a 1 or 2 percent return so from 100 passed out either 1 or 2 it all depends on the market at your area

mak2
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I have been getting 1:100. My flyers are not that great and it is a bad time of year. I plan to work on that over the winter.

twindiddy
09-19-2005, 04:27 PM
i think that depends a lot on your area. somtimes we get 0%, sometimes around 5%. seems to come in spurts for us.

jim d.
09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
You know, that's really not bad. I helped a friend once pass out flyers door-to-door (we taped them up with masking tape) and we each got out about 100 an hour. That means a person could generate one new customer an hour, which seems pretty darn good to me...or am I missing something? It seems to me that if it were that easy everyone here would have all the business they want.

Precision
09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
any type of mass mailing, canvasing with no regard to demographic ie flyers generates between 1-3% response rate. Depending on what you are offering and what you hook is of that you will get between 33-80% close rate on your responses.

Obviously if you are flyering for snow plowing in August or Sod work in January your response rate will suffer accordingly.

In my distribution of just under 4000 flyers this spring I recieved about 25 immediate responses (within a week) and 20 that trickled in over the next 3 months. Of those I landed 23 account (if memory serves correct) So my close rate was at about .5% but something to think about is that if you are well signed on your vehicles and have other ads out each different type of add will increase the response of the others simply because the prospective clients see you a lot and assume you must be good / big.

mak2
09-19-2005, 06:11 PM
You know, that's really not bad. I helped a friend once pass out flyers door-to-door (we taped them up with masking tape) and we each got out about 100 an hour. That means a person could generate one new customer an hour, which seems pretty darn good to me...or am I missing something? It seems to me that if it were that easy everyone here would have all the business they want.
Dont get too stuck on the 1:100. Sometimes it is the theory of large numbers. You might put out 900 get no calls and get ten out of the next hundred. I am not real sure how many I had put out before I got the first call, but I do know I had several calls at once after I had put out hundreds. And the callls were from areas I had just put out flyers and area I had put them out long ago. I hope it really is that easy, But I am not stopping putting out flyers and door hangars till I am too busy to do it, Then I will make time and upgrade my accounts bobbygedd style. I know a friend of mine in insurance says that is why he is so successful. He sticks with the basics, still does flyers and canvasses areas and always asks for refferrals. He has more buisness than he can handle. A lot of guys get out of his buisness becasue they "cant" find customers, but they quit looking.

Brianslawn
09-19-2005, 07:44 PM
depends on the market. i used to get 10% when i first started. so many calls now from other forms of advertising and word of mouth that we hadnt done flyers in a few years

twindiddy
09-19-2005, 09:57 PM
like Precision said, it's all about the demographics. putting a flyer or doorhanger on a house that has a well manicured lawn isn't going to do you much good.