PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this situation

sheshovel
09-19-2005, 05:41 PM
OK guys this is a wash-out from a clogged up rain gutter that happened when this place was being rented out.He has existing railroad ties 2 courses along the lawn there and this corner your looking at is the corner foundation of his deck.
He wants some type of retaining wall...But just in the corner not along the whole thing.
The water was going where the renter poured that cement and also under the deck and erroding behind the foundation corner.
On the other side of the RR ties it goes very steep down the hill.
How would you fix this?The rain gutter situation is fixed so water won't be pouring in the corner like it was.

olderthandirt
09-19-2005, 06:27 PM
French drain on the top tied into the down spout tile, and a small semi circle retaining wall below back filled to existing grade. Then use the area between the wall and the porch as a small bed or focal point

treedoc1
09-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Is the pier stable? If so I prefer a rebar reinforced poured footer using the pier as the corner of an L-shaped wall. A mortared wall with weepholes alongside the deck to keep the earth off the wood, and the other right angle mortared wall with weepholes to retain the earth from tumbling on down the slope. You could incorporate the pier into the wall by veneering with the same material.

A less intensive alternative would be to use the SRW route with grid and gravel back fill, again building an L-shaped wall with the pier as an outside corner.

*******Pier
*******______________________________ Line of wooden deck
################
#
#
#
#
# Retaining Wall
#
#
#

sheshovel
09-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Yes the pier is stable.The customer suggested a poured footing and a retaining wall also,but he does not want to go near as far as what you have shown above,just wants to do the corner and knock out out the "renters pour" there cuz it's so ugly.
Olderthan,that is exactly what I suggested be done.
I am fishing for different methods..

olderthandirt
09-20-2005, 02:23 AM
tear out the old concrete and do a water feature in that corner with a small retaining wall surrounding it to hide the under cut porch