PDA

View Full Version : Whats Up With Kawasaki !

6'7 330
09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Five-month-old machine, and the Kawasaki engine has to undergo a value job; kind and considerate Kawasaki is trying to deny warranty coverage! Another Kawasaki blows at and sump, guess what? If you guessed trying to deny warranty again, you would be profoundly correct! They maintain this engine did not receive proper lubrication, at the darn sump! And we change out the oil and filter once a week on our machines.

Kawasaki’s are good, as long as nothing is malfunctions, if malfunctions do develop, it appears as if the warranty is worthless .Our dealer says, he going work on Kawasaki to cover the repairs. We shall see what comes of his efforts, either way Kawasaki’s actions, leaves bitter feelings for me,for Kawasaki as a company.

Lux Lawn
09-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Bill
That does seem kind of odd to me.What did the dealer say about it?Are they going to back you up.Sounds like the dealer should be the one replacing it and fighting with Kawasaki.

BENTLEY'S
09-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Don't feel bad. Kawasaki treats everyone that way. I don't know why they even bother to print out a waranty.

Bentley's

valleylawn79
09-19-2005, 06:36 PM
i agree, with as much money as we spend on these machines the dealers ought to be fighting for us. dam letting us-the consumer being in the middle all the time. i thought honda was the only quirky ones concerning warranties. thats ridiculous; i hope it works out in your favor 6' 7".

Lux Lawn
09-19-2005, 06:41 PM
the dealers ought to be fighting for us.
Very true Valleylawn.

The dealer here that I buy my mowers from would fight them...there is know doubt in my mind.

Lawn Masters
09-19-2005, 06:48 PM
I'd say Kawasaki needs to get their stuff in order, and start honoring the warranty on their products. if you maintain it properly, and it fails and is under warranty, THEY should cover it under warranty, and not dodge the issue.

6'7 330
09-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Here's one for you Larry, Kawasaki has been denying a lot of warranty work. My dealer said they denied another guy’s machine warranty coverage, for values they did not seat at the factory! I don’t know if this phenomenon is confined to Chicago or the Midwest, but my dealer said there has been a rash of it !I hope my dealer will cover us; we buy many machines from him. The repairs are scheduled to be completed tomorrow on the value job, we will see what the dealer does.

We switched brands to stay with this guy,he has taken care of us exceptionally in the past!There might be a another brand switch !

Ramairfreak98ss
09-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Well so far im happy with the Kohler i got..... makes me happy i decided the Kawasaki wasnt worth more money for whatever reason... I would have been happy with a Commercial briggs even.

MBDiagMan
09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Well, this is not exactly a reassuring thread. I read so much good about Kawasaki here on the forum that my newest mower has a liquid cooled Kawasaki.

I guess the key is to not need the warranty which is what you want from anything you buy.

BTW. You guys are a few months late with this thread. :rolleyes:

Good luck to all of us Kawasaki engine owners,
Doc

MBDiagMan
09-19-2005, 08:27 PM
I would recommend that all you guys go read the thread that is now on page 2 entitled: "oil filters???" In this thread there are several people talking about the various non mfg oil filters that will fit their engine.

Toward the end of the thread there is a poster named "Kawasakitech" that says something to the effect that he has their names and will use the information to prevent "warranty fraud." To me this sounds like he is looking for an excuse to deny a warranty claim.

This set me off pretty good! It is one thing to deny a claim due to customer abuse or even extreme negligence. It is quite another thing to go around looking for excuses to deny a claim.

If I could, I would take my new mower and find a factory guy that has such an attitude and put it where the sun don't shine.

Unbelievable.

I hope that these things are isolated incidents, although there seem to be too many of you having such experiences for that to likely be the case.

Have a great day,
Doc

ProLawns
09-19-2005, 08:52 PM
I had a 23hp Kawasaki go out at 1400 hours do to a crank bearing and oil seal problem. Dealer said others went out earlier than mine under warranty, of course mine was out or warranty. Cost me $1600 for a new engine. I maintain my equipment well, sometimes I wonder what's the point. Also Kawasaki states that a valve job is needed at 300 hours as part of standard maintenance. I guess that's their way of covering their rear for not knowing how to make decent valves. Wouldn't surprise me if they say a complete engine overhaul is needed at 300 hours as standard maintenance and of course warranty doesn't cover "standard maintenance" repairs. Are you listening Kawasakitech?

6'7 330
09-19-2005, 08:58 PM
. Are you listening Kawasakitech?

Kawaskitech ...can listen to this....There will never be another kawasakiiiiii,on any machine we buy.

topsites
09-19-2005, 09:06 PM
I love the sound of my Kohlers...

Once you start them and they run a steady rpm, they go:
KooOOoOoOoOOOoooooOoOOOOOOooooohhhler

Honda's are ok, they sound kinda quiet like:
Hoooooooooon-daaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

Of course, we all know the Harley by its sound:
Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley-Harley

Meanwhile, the briggs & stratton, they're like:
Brrrrrrrrrriiiiiigs

So, what's the sound of a Kawasaki?
Yup... You guessed it, it makes no sense.

6'7 330
09-19-2005, 09:09 PM
So, what's the sound of a Kawasaki?

Like the sound of an anchor...dropping in the water.

General Grounds
09-19-2005, 09:12 PM
:blob3: i will never buy another kawisaki product just for that reason, they never warranty scwat, my lazer hp, was blowing oil into the air filter since day 1 and they denied it, they swroe it was our fault and will do nothing for us, my dealer just gives me new air filters, hes tried everything at his cost. they suck.

ps. my kohlers rock

ProLawns
09-19-2005, 09:12 PM
But then on the other hand I had a Kawasaki 12.5 hp on a wb that lasted 14 years.

topsites
09-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Like the sound of an anchor...dropping in the water.

I am sorry you guys are having such trouble, I had considered Kawasaki for some time but opted for the standard Kohler due to price. Still, I was so impressed with Toro's proline that I figured more expensive MUST be better and the next one would've at least had the Kawa on the wish-list...
But after reading the bad luck stories, I'll stick to my Kohlers and am just glad I am not a part of this nightmare, not by choice but just plain dumb luck, and DO wish all of you the best of luck.

Mowingman
09-19-2005, 09:21 PM
We are a dealer for Kawasaki, and have had no warranty coverage problems with them YET. I have been told, that if you have a dispute over warranty, you need your dealer to get the Kawasaki Zone Rep.,(for your area) involved.
They apparantly have a lot of pull when warranty disputes arise.

hole in one lco
09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
you are not taking your mower to the kawasaki factory so how do they know its your fault. I think your dealer is feeding you this BS to get you . I buy all kaw products not one problem

65hoss
09-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Bill I am sending you an PM. I have the phone number to one of the main guys at Kawi america. He told me a few years ago to keep it and call him if I ever had a problem with any of his people or parts. I am sending you my cell phone number, I believe I have the number in my work truck tomorrow. You can call me tomorrow.

MBDiagMan
09-19-2005, 09:39 PM
hole in one and Mowingman,

I was wondering how long it would take for the calvary to arrive.

I feel quite sure that there have been problems experienced by owners of ALL small engine brands. I have read so much good about Kawasaki in the past that I was surprised by this thread. At the same time I know that all manufacturers have problems of some sort with some models.

Given that it is possible to have problems with any engine, the issue is whether or not the mfg. will stand behind their product.

I'm sure that we ALL hope, regardless of engine brand, that we will never have to find out whether the warranty will cover or not. The best warranty is one that is never needed.

Good luck to all,
Doc

Mowingman
09-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I really believe that some dealers do not fight hard enough for their customers when warranty disputes arise. That is all I am going to say.

milo
09-19-2005, 10:11 PM
i know that most people with a kawasaki liquid cooled engine had it replaced by like 1000 hours. and i was told only buy kawasaki vertical shaft engines... kohler horizontal engines are way better that the kawasaki's. i have a honda vertical 24hp engine and seems really good, and i just got a mower with a briggs&stratton engine vertical 20hp. vanguard..
so i am guessing most of the people on here with kawasaki engines are horizontal right???

Envy Lawn Service
09-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the Kawasaki warranty is worth about the same thing as a Yazoo/Kees - Husqvarna warranty. NOTHING.

I don't really know how Kawi does it these days, but in general some engine MFG's have local area reps. So when an engine comes in with more serious issues, the MFG will not certify warranty coverage for that item over the phone. So often the dealer has to wait around for the local area rep to come and inspect the engine for any possible 'user fault'. Based on what they see and the shop says, they are inclinded to certify coverage or void warranty.

But all too often these days, MFG's try their best to deny warranty coverage and save themselves the money for the current repair or for any future repair of that engine. Sadly, these companies do this, and do it just as often to us as the do homeowners, if not more. Why? Because more often than not... they get by with it.

People just take this lying down, more often than not. Homeowners often do not know better than what they are told. We on the other hand wage our livelyhoods on our equipment. If we are bickering about warranty coverage on something, the machine is sitting still not earning us any money, even if we run right out and buy a replacement. That machine still is not producing us any income. So what most do in a situation like this? Buy another new engine out of pocket and pay to have it installed because it's cheaper than the alternative of beating around the bush and fighting for warranty coverage.

All too often, the dealer is also just as stuck in the middle as we are. The dealer bought a piece of equipment in good faith that it was fit for re-sale and if for some reason it were not, the MFG would pick up the tab for any repairs. The owner has you telling them one thing, his tech telling him another, and the MFG telling him yet another. So here he is in a pinch. Eat it, fight it or wash his hands of it.

In any event, it SUCKS to hear this about Kawasaki warranty because I'm running their engines and they are still under warranty.

afftandem
09-19-2005, 10:55 PM
I had bought a stihl hedgetrimmer that didnt work right from the beginning... took it back to where I bought it... while looking at it the maintenace guy mentioned that stihl may give me slack on the waranty..... hadnt had it but for a week! Luckily he got it up and runnning and has been working fine since.

this is a common practice with all companies that sell this type of equipment. Its sorta like soc. sec.. even if you meet the requirements you still get automatically denied (this is standard) then u must get a lawyer, and it takes aprox. 1-2 yrs...

most people role over and die (otherwords, they just bi%ch alot but dont do anything).... keep good records, and file a small claims suit.. also contact the better buisness buero.. they'll send you reimbursement immediatly.. they wont fight you...

BUT MAINLY... BEWARE!!!!! whose to say the dealer isnt skrwing you!
they charge u for the work and then turn it in to kaw,koh,sthil,etc. and they get double pay.

also, i believe you would have a suit against your dealer.. not sure but you probably could hold him to the warranty, making it his job to sue kaw.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-19-2005, 11:11 PM
:blob3: i will never buy another kawisaki product just for that reason, they never warranty scwat, my lazer hp, was blowing oil into the air filter since day 1 and they denied it, they swroe it was our fault and will do nothing for us, my dealer just gives me new air filters, hes tried everything at his cost. they suck.

ps. my kohlers rock

What engine did your lazer have? I had a JD 717 with a 19 kaw. that did the same thing and never did get if fixed. Dealer finally put on new short block after fighting with Kaw. for over a year. Still did not fix the problem, just learned to live with it and still did not like it.

afftandem
09-19-2005, 11:20 PM
"just learned to live with it".... just role over and die!

If youre in the right. youre in the right... file a small claims against and they will fix it!... yeah.. it'll cost you about $40.. but once they see you mean business.. they will fix it.. they know about this.. this is standard practice.. business's have actually psycology on how the average customer will react.. the majority (VAST MAJORITY) do nuthn... and they know this!

And if you want your $40 back.. then deny their payment and get the judgement. Theyll have to pay court cost.. just depends on wether its worth showing up in court to get your 40bucks back...

THIS IS STANDARD PRACTICE!!!!! just part of the business

Envy Lawn Service
09-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Man... I'm surprised Deere hasn't dropped Kawi as an exclusive.
They sure have had a TON of problems with them on their mowers.

Before this thread I thought it was a "built to Deere specs" issue.
But obviously it is not.

Anyways, you guys who are blowing oil by and getting it in the filter...
Have you ever considered the 'short dipstick' possibility?
In other words you may be accidentially over-full with oil because of it?
This is VERY possible.

It wouldn't hurt to try running it just inside the safe range on the stick to see if you note improvement.

dishboy
09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
[QUOTE=afftandem]"just learned to live with it".... just role over and die!

If youre in the right. youre in the right... file a small claims against and they will fix it!... yeah.. it'll cost you about $40.. but once they see you mean business.. they will fix it.. they know about this.. this is standard practice.. business's have actually psycology on how the average customer will react.. the majority (VAST MAJORITY) do nuthn... and they know this!

And if you want your $40 back.. then deny their payment and get the judgement. Theyll have to pay court cost.. just depends on wether its worth showing up in court to get your 40bucks back...

THIS IS STANDARD PRACTICE!!!!! just part of the business[/QUOTE-]

Bingo, I doubt a local judge will think Kawasaki is clever in screwing a small guy out of a legitimate complaint.

Gene $immons
09-20-2005, 09:12 AM
I have had numerous problems with two Kawasaki 21" mowers that were bought last year, when they first swiched over to 4 stroke engines. They kept blowing the head gasket. The dealer said that there was hundreds of mowers all doing the same thing. I eventually had a Honda mounted on the deck of one of them. The other one is still running, but I expect it will also need to be replaced. No more buying the first year models for me.

6'7 330
09-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Bill I am sending you an PM. I have the phone number to one of the main guys at Kawi america. He told me a few years ago to keep it and call him if I ever had a problem with any of his people or parts. I am sending you my cell phone number, I believe I have the number in my work truck tomorrow. You can call me tomorrow.

Thank you much for the number, and the opportunity to talk to you Eric!

all ferris
09-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I have never had a problem with a kawasaki. However, I have had many problems with kohlers.

65hoss
09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Thank you much for the number, and the opportunity to talk to you Eric!
Good talking with you as well. There are many similarities in you and Jack when I was talking with you. The laugh is the same. We will talk again soon. :waving:

6'7 330
09-22-2005, 12:25 AM
The dealer ate the cost of the valve job,but no more kawasaki on our mowers!

GrassBustersLawn
09-22-2005, 12:39 AM
I have KAWISAKI on ALL my mowers. Bought them for REPUTATION for reliability.

Last year the 19hp on my 48" LazerZHP blew up at 1800 hours. An average life span, as I was told, and I had a NEW 21hp Kawi put in it.

This week my Toro Z-147 44" w/17hp Kawi. started making noises. I took it in & had mechanic at local shop listen to it. Within 2 seconds he said it was the flywheel rubbing & it was going to eat a hole thru & die shortly. HE HAS HAD 3 other KAWI's do the same thing in the last month!!!! This one has 650 hours on it, which as I'm concerned is WAY TOO SHORT of a LIFE SPAN for an engine! Of course, it is OUT OF WARANTY. But I'm pissed anyway!

He is ordering me a new 21hp to put in the Toro, which is going to cost me $1600 ballpark installed.

My mechanic says he has seen & heard this happening ALOT to 19hp & 23 hp Kawis.

Mike

Lawn Masters
09-22-2005, 12:46 AM
sounds to me like their quality control either is slipping, or is having some issues that they couldnt forsee.

stumper1620
09-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I have KAWISAKI on ALL my mowers. Bought them for REPUTATION for reliability.

Last year the 19hp on my 48" LazerZHP blew up at 1800 hours. An average life span, as I was told, and I had a NEW 21hp Kawi put in it.

This week my Toro Z-147 44" w/17hp Kawi. started making noises. I took it in & had mechanic at local shop listen to it. Within 2 seconds he said it was the flywheel rubbing & it was going to eat a hole thru & die shortly. HE HAS HAD 3 other KAWI's do the same thing in the last month!!!! This one has 650 hours on it, which as I'm concerned is WAY TOO SHORT of a LIFE SPAN for an engine! Of course, it is OUT OF WARANTY. But I'm pissed anyway!

He is ordering me a new 21hp to put in the Toro, which is going to cost me $1600 ballpark installed.

My mechanic says he has seen & heard this happening ALOT to 19hp & 23 hp Kawis.

Mike

Mike,
What kind of noise? I have the 23 HP on my JD, every once in a while I hear what sounds like a scrape/rattle from the flywheel cover area, is this the same? if so what is the defect? If I can head it off I will. I have about 3 months of warranty left on this motor and I know I will have to fight if it goes bad. More info please.