PDA

View Full Version : Zosia?

Bunton Guy
09-19-2005, 09:07 PM
What height are you guys cutting your zosia lawns at ? Im struggling to get it anywhere near 2"...right now at 2-1/4".

If you look from an angle against the stripes you can see ruts from the mowers (60" Z rider) Would cutting lower help keep these ruts out of the grass. These ruts are in the grass not in the soil. If anyone has walked across Zosia its like a thick THICK carpet...very annoying to work in!

ProLawns
09-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I had a customer request me to cut his zosia 2". I told him he would have to get someone with a reel mower to cut it that short. I still do his yard and he's happy with the height I cut it. When it starts to green up in the spring I cut it at 2.5" and the thicker it gets the higher I cut it up to 3.25". It's so thick that even at 3.25" it looks like it's been cut shorter. These numbers are on the height adjustment on my Z. I've never actually measured to see if their accurate.

topsites
09-19-2005, 10:18 PM
ALL my base are belong to 3"

No exceptions.

ProLawns
09-19-2005, 10:22 PM
ALL my base are belong to 3"

Say what??????

ScCo
09-19-2005, 10:55 PM
zoysia is probably the nicest turf we have around here...or tifsport bermuda possibly.

I find both turf types fairly easy to deal with providing that you have a machine with ample hp/deck size.

we cut our zoysia properties between 1.5 and 2" tall using our walker 26hp EFI/48" machines. with the density of zoysia, collection of the clippings is in my opinion the best way to go as the clippings sit on top of the uncut turf if not collected, and it takes a whale of a machine to mulch zoysia at anything faster than a crawl.

TClawn
09-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I agree with ScCO. bagging is really the best option. you can mulch it, but I don't recomend it if you want to go faster than 4mph. if you discharge zoysia, it looks like a hay field, if you mulch it, it looks ok, but you have to go super slow. I mow all my zoysia lawns at 3" by the exmark height adjustment.