PDA

View Full Version : guys with employees during the drought

1MajorTom
09-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Lot of areas seem to have got hit hard with the drought this year. For those of you that have employees, what are you doing with your employees if you are not out there cutting on a normal cutting schedule? Keeping them busy at the shop or have you been forced to lay off? Just wondering, as we don't have employees but always interested to hear how employee situations are handled.

tslawncarellc
09-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Well luckily the rain from Katrina helped us out quite a bit but before that we were in somewhat of a slow time. I kept all four of my employees busy mowing what we could but also going around to our jobs cleaning up the landscape beds, trimming hedges, and getting the shop back in order. The key to keeping a good employee is to bite the dust during the dry times and keep them around- we never lay off.

DLCS
09-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I've often wondered the same thing. I'm pretty much solo but I do have a couple of parttimers that help me when needed but thye don't rely on me for their income. This drought we are in (escpecially back in July and August when no grass was growing) would have been tough if I had employees and being a mow only company. I always have work for myself but keeping employees busy when there is no work on their primary job could be rough.

Brianslawn
09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
every year we try to find more empoloyees during the spring, but they all quit or get fired by the time it starts getting hot and dry. so then we give up on hard working americans and go back to our base crew leaders for the rest of the year. next year we're not going to hire anyone that can speak english.

dvmcmrhp52
09-19-2005, 11:49 PM
They're kept busy doing other work, trimming,installs,firewood, etc.

DanG
09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
This year i've cut back to just one person and when I'm not doing lawn stuff i keep busy with working on the new house i bought. As far as my employee he's part time and he's averaging the same hours as he's been gitting the last couple of years.

Dan

MacPhersonlawn
09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
I have one full time employee and I have had to cut back his hours considerably since mid August. I know he is hurting for $ and is looking for a part time job to help. If he finds a full time one he might bolt, not because he wants to but just to pay the bills. He is a good worker and would be hard to replace. Not a good situation!