PDA

View Full Version : why not mid mounts

D&R
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
All I want to know is this........

Why do the out front mowers get tractor tread or V groove drive tires and mid mounts get stupid a$$ turf savers? I am sick and tired of getting stuck and sliding around. Unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't switch I'll be ordering some ASAP!

Doug

Envy Lawn Service
09-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I'd like to know the same thing!
A few midmounts come stock with them also, but very few.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a set myself. Carlisle/Titan AT101's.
But I have to somehow locate the rims I want to mount them on first.

Brianslawn
09-19-2005, 11:56 PM
all my walkers have turf tires. i can out mow all other brand mowers around here on hills with just those turf tires. if youre sliding then buy different tires to put on or if you want to mow steep hills then buy a walker.

D&R
09-20-2005, 06:26 PM
all my walkers have turf tires. i can out mow all other brand mowers around here on hills with just those turf tires. if youre sliding then buy different tires to put on or if you want to mow steep hills then buy a walker.

Brian - thanks for your response. However, no where did I mention steep hills or the want to buy a new mower, only tires.

The problem that I am encountering with my eXmark is when the tanks get low I lose a lot of centered weight over the tires and I start sliding and spinning. It doesn't matter if I am on a hill or flat ground. When I make my "Y" turn I spin unless I go super slow. When I am going down the slightest decline, try to slow down and turn the inside wheel slides and leaves a skid mark. All of this is magnafied when the tanks are low or empty. I think it has everything to do with the tires. Anyone else?

Doug

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 06:41 PM
too much power going to the wheels and not enough weight on them it sounds like, might also consider adding weights some how near the wheels on the bottom of the mower or whatever that liquid is you put in the tires for weight. you can usually find an assortment of mower tires at tire shops and farm stores. the problem youre having sounds like weight distribution with the design of the mower. if the knobby or v grove tires dont work... add the weights. also with the v tires, be careful when the yard is a little soft from recent rain. otherwise itll look like a 4x4 race when youre done.

hope this post helped you better than my last one. good luck!

Tonyr
09-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Be shure to check with the manufacturer that changing the tyres won't effect warrantee or wear parts faster than normal.

adding water to your tyres helps, but adds a lot of weight on your trailer, plus is harder work on the hydro system.

a bloke here put these atv tyres on his exmark, I'll try to post a pic.

btw, i had the same problem with my toro, it is a weight distribution thing, my new j.d doesn't have the problem....as much.

ScCo
09-21-2005, 12:37 AM
I often wonder what my super z's would do on slopes with some more aggressively treaded tires. They will already go places that none of our other machines will go. Our walkers have turf tread tires on them, no bar tread. They do pretty well going up and down some decent slopes, but suck crossing the faces of the slopes or going on 45 degree angles across the slope. The walkers (all front decks that I know of) will back up just about any slope there is, regardless of the tire tread pattern.

as far as an answer to why the machines don't come with them...most people have a tough enough time not tearing the crap out of the turf with the "less aggressive" tread patterns. It amazes me how many people there are mowing who can't make a turn without tearing the crap outta the turf....we all goof up once in a while, but it's bad when you can see where the operator turned at the end of each pass.

Anyhow, that's my guess as to why we don't see more aggressive tread patterns on the tires.

Envy Lawn Service
09-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Brian - thanks for your response. However, no where did I mention steep hills or the want to buy a new mower, only tires.

The problem that I am encountering with my eXmark is when the tanks get low I lose a lot of centered weight over the tires and I start sliding and spinning. It doesn't matter if I am on a hill or flat ground. When I make my "Y" turn I spin unless I go super slow. When I am going down the slightest decline, try to slow down and turn the inside wheel slides and leaves a skid mark. All of this is magnafied when the tanks are low or empty. I think it has everything to do with the tires. Anyone else?

Doug

Finally.... someone else talking about the same thing I am talking about.
Traction for turning.

Brianslawn
09-21-2005, 01:24 AM
like my neighbor said... practice!

topsites
09-21-2005, 01:49 AM
pardon the apparent stupidity, but is this happening on a ztr?

because even on a Wb the tires spin and slide, and it will flip if I take a turn too hard like on concrete at full speed...
the other problem I see is wth is a Y-turn? You mean you're doing 3-point turns? I mean, this is THE inherent problem I see with striping and I got laughed at for doing what I do, but I never have these problems with circles, sorry to say but it's the sharp turns and the high speed combo that do it. If nothing else, I slow down through the turns and then get it going again, one more time the problem with back-and-forth technique is you're CONSTANTLY wasting TIME turning around while when you do the racetrack, you're ALWAYS cutting even when turning.

Someday, some folk will dig that speed can be as good or better than a cosmetic enhancement that's mostly just Lco pride anyhow and doesn't benefit the yard or the bottom line in any way. Meanwhile the 'straight' grass cut may not look as nifty as the neat lines but then there's no turf marks and on anything under an acre, the Wb outruns the Ztr every single time... Likely on a tricky acre as well, you gotta get into loving turns and curves is all I can think.

topsites
09-21-2005, 02:07 AM
The other thing comes to mind is the handles on a Ztr are just like a Bobcat.

Now you take a Bobcat and try this tank-maneuvering crap and soon you will find yourself on your side because a 4-wheel ALL-time Lock-drive will not tolerate such behaviour and you haven't experienced problems until your machine hops, skips or shudders violently all of a sudden.

What I'm thinking (no offense) is you're giving it all or nothing on one side or the other, working the handles in what appears to be the MOST efficient manner when in reality nothing could be worse.

So the trick is to get away from this FULL FORWARD-REVERSE or NOTHING / Stop or GO 100% stuff... Ease the machine around the turn by keeping the inside tire turning at least a little bit, so instead of a Y-turn try a mushroom cloud type of turn:
For a right-hand U turn, veer to the LEFT first then a BIG WIDE right then a little bit back to the left so you're back on track, you never really stop.

sorry i know is a bit of a hint of an insult in these posts of mine, it is unintentional, i do not know why i do this schitt, please try and take it for what is worth ty.

mith
09-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I run water filled AG bar tyres on my mid-mount. Traction is supurb, I can pull a car up muddy hills in the rain with that thing. Also with the filled tyres there is a far lower CofG and 30 degree slopes to the side a no worries, except you slide off the seat.
I highly reccomend filled aggressive tyres, no damage to the lawn and no more spinning tyres.