PDA

View Full Version : Advice on seeding new area

grassmeister
09-19-2005, 11:26 PM
I see a lot of advice on overseeding, but not on seeding a new area. I seeded too late this past spring and didn't have any luck. What I have now is a large area of Georgia clay that was a muddy mess all summer, but now that it hasn't rained in about a month, it's hard and brittle clay. I've read recommendations for using a seeder slicer, but since this isn't really overseeding (only a small portion of it will be overseeing), I was wondering if a seeder slicer is the best way to go. One other option is to use a tiller, but I'm concerned about leaving behind large chunks of uneven clay. BTW, I'll be using Fescue seed. Any recommendations?

Also, is it necessary to spread straw over it? I did that the last time and it took a long time to get rid of it.

fcl01
09-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I see a lot of advice on overseeding, but not on seeding a new area. I seeded too late this past spring and didn't have any luck. What I have now is a large area of Georgia clay that was a muddy mess all summer, but now that it hasn't rained in about a month, it's hard and brittle clay. I've read recommendations for using a seeder slicer, but since this isn't really overseeding (only a small portion of it will be overseeing), I was wondering if a seeder slicer is the best way to go. One other option is to use a tiller, but I'm concerned about leaving behind large chunks of uneven clay. BTW, I'll be using Fescue seed. Any recommendations?

Also, is it necessary to spread straw over it? I did that the last time and it took a long time to get rid of it.

why would you want to get rid of the straw?

Soupy
09-19-2005, 11:36 PM

How big is the area?

grassmeister
09-19-2005, 11:36 PM
It never seemed to break down. I think I may have applied too much because it just jammed my mower. Maybe by putting down less, I won't have such a problem. I was using my push mower rather than my ZTR so as not to disturb the new grass (what there was of it), but it clogged immediately with all the straw. Any advise on preping the soil this time?

Thanks.

grassmeister
09-19-2005, 11:41 PM
How big is the area?

It's about 10,000 sf. I'd prefer to use something I can pull with my ZTR, but I'm open to anything that's reasonable to rent.

Thanks.

fcl01
09-19-2005, 11:43 PM
if the soil has been prepped before and there's not much as far as rocks left, just pulverize the hell outta it, seed, fert, straw. and yes, as long as it is evenly spread, keep the straw thin. it really dosnt take much. if you have access to a bale chopper, get it. you use a lot less straw and it is spread much more evenly. :waving:

ThreeWide
09-20-2005, 08:48 AM
If you have bare ground, tilling up the clay would be your best bet. Just rake the area as smooth as possible afterward.

Some partners of mine are getting great Fescue results by topdressing with a layer of Earth Food compost. They aerate/till first, apply the compost, then seed on top of it. No need for wheat straw in this case. This sounds like a good option for your situation.

They get the Earth Food from Green Brothers.

muddstopper
09-20-2005, 08:02 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread but can you tell me more about the EarthFood compost. I have been trying to find a source for good (bagged) compost for sometime now and havent had much success. I am looking for something that isnt full of rocks and bark and sticks.

I disagreee with just spreading the compost on top of the pulverized ground. Altho if they are just areating then spreading it on top of the soil is about the only option they have. My thoughts are that the compost should be worked into the soil as you are doing the pulverising. This would improve the texture of the soil as well as place the nutrients in the soil instead of on top of the soil. The compost will also help hold moisture yet improve drainage. My suggestion is that since you are in Atlanta is that you go to Howard Brothers Hardware in Duluth, (770-476-3006 and ask for Tim Oliver) and rent one of their areo-vators, ( not an areator). They have pull behind as well as a front mount one on a Ventrac tractor and it even has a seed box. Spread the compost as well as any fertilizer and lime, and the seed, on top of the ground and then areo-vate the heck out of it. Straw wont be necessary. Keep ground moist but not soggy wet and sharpen your mower blades because you will have grass to cut. If you are also selling lawn maintenace services I suggest that you line up several lawns while you have the machine rented. I Used the Ventrac mounted areo-vator with the seed box and did 3 acres in about 4 hours, that included appling lime and fertilizer, so your lawn wont take long.