PDA

View Full Version : cutting height???

The Curious Porpoise
09-20-2005, 01:53 AM
doing some simple research on different types of grass and recommended cutting height, it is obvious to me it is impossible to actually adjust the cutting height for each customer according to each customers particular type of grass (at least if u have the same type of mower i have, w/ which u need to remove the spindle to add/remove the number of spacers to adjust the cutting height)... with that said, what do u guys set your cutting height to as a nice, happy medium.... or am i missing something that makes this whole process easier???

afftandem
09-20-2005, 01:55 AM
what are you cutting with???

afftandem
09-20-2005, 02:02 AM
ideally, i would like to cut all my lawns at 3".... but some, of course will want 2 1/2"... I explain to them ist better to cut at least 3" on a weekly schedule.. but whatever keeps them happy.

some grasses maybe better higher, and some 2 1/2 is okay.. but I push for 3".

the 2 1/2" customers, usually were the ones who let it go too long.. they just wanted it cut.

The Curious Porpoise
48" lesco WB fixed/belt

afftandem
that mower doesnt have spacers on the caster wheels??/

The Curious Porpoise
09-20-2005, 02:16 AM
hmmmmmm, i'll have to look.... lol, i think u might be right though, maybe it can be adjusted that way... but what about in the back? wouldnt it be an uneven cut if the back wasn't somehow lowered?

afftandem
09-20-2005, 02:23 AM
not an uneven cut.... thats what theyre there for...

easy to change on job also... just pull one wheel onto the back of your trailer gate while the other hangs off. put your foot under the tire for support. pull the ring out. pull spacer out and place on top to lower or reverse to raise. replace ring. reverse for opposite side... .

takes me about 30 seconds to do mine.

Roger
09-20-2005, 06:14 AM
I mow at the height that is best for the property being mowed, and in some cases, for the area on a specific property being mowed. I use a fixed deck Exmark (36" Viking), with through bolts and spacers. I change the spacers on the caster spindles often. In one case, the mowing is done at 4". This requires all the caster spacers on the bottom, and all the blade spindle washers to be on top. My usual setup for the blade spindle is three washers below the deck and one above. So, for this property, I remove the spindle bolts, change the washers, mow, and then reset them for the next property.

On my two hand mowers, I mow at 2 1/2, 3, or 3 1/2 (Lawnboy), or 2 3/4 or 3 1/4 (Toro Proline). The setting depends upon the property, not just what happens to have worked at the last property.

Changing mowing heights as I move from customer to customer is trivial. If I am going to offer custom mowing services, then the mowing height must be set for the situation at each property, or specific area of each property.

shortgut
09-21-2005, 01:38 AM
I normaly try for 2.75 to 3.0 " I have one customer that wanted 2.0" My wife told him that if he wanted it that low why didn't he just dig it all up and pour concrete and paint it green ? he said he really had not thought of that idea we fianly agreed on 2.25 once a week on Fri and it is one of them yards you have to hunt your tire tracks to see whwere you have been cause there is not any grass to cut really think that some of his 100 or more goat herd is sneaking out eating the yard of coarse we have not had any rain this month to speak of think we got 1/4 of a inch the 1st part tof the month and very little the previous month owell if he has the money we have the time

Soupy
09-21-2005, 01:46 AM
I normaly try for 2.75 to 3.0 " I have one customer that wanted 2.0" My wife told him that if he wanted it that low why didn't he just dig it all up and pour concrete and paint it green ? he said he really had not thought of that idea we fianly agreed on 2.25 once a week on Fri and it is one of them yards you have to hunt your tire tracks to see whwere you have been cause there is not any grass to cut really think that some of his 100 or more goat herd is sneaking out eating the yard of coarse we have not had any rain this month to speak of think we got 1/4 of a inch the 1st part tof the month and very little the previous month owell if he has the money we have the time

I had one lady tell me she would prefer to do what your wife suggested, but since it isn't practical for her size property I agreed to cut it as low as possible (usually 2.75) as long as she agreed to weekly visits no matter what. This particular lady just doesn't like grass. The people that are trying to be cheap I just educate them on the facts. Short grass (if not scalped to die) grows faster.