PDA

View Full Version : Chinese torture!!!!

The Curious Porpoise
09-20-2005, 03:01 AM
k, i have something that drives me nuts... low branches!!! especially the ones that are prickily and scrape against my skin at every pass... what do u guys do about this problem? do u just offer to cut/remove the branches for free in order to make it easier to mow? do u insist on having the owner either pay you or cut the branches himself to stop this cruel type of torture?

actually while i'm on the subject, what do u guys do about cable lines, and AC unit lines?? i actually had the idea of offering (for free, or just charge them for the supplies) to fill in certain "problem" areas (like around cable lines/AC lines) with some sort of decorative gravel or stone, or really anything to make it look nice and presentable, but at the same time (and more importantly) solve the problem of having to be extra careful with the trimmer around these spots, and almost worst having to constantly remind my workers and worry that they'll hit one, in which case an embarrassing explanation to the customer would be in order.... my thought is that the 15 mins u spend on "fixing" these problem spots would pay for itself 20 seconds per mow, with the added bonus of less headaches...

any thoughts on my thoughts?

afftandem
09-20-2005, 03:19 AM
wear safety glasses always while mowing.... and just be careful around lines the best you can...... dont offer free work... rarely, maybe the occassional few branches that can be taken off with a lopper.... if youre good w/your trimmer than wires shouldnt be a problem, but sometimes its better to bend over and pull the grass around these... stress safety and property to anyone who works for you.

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 04:19 AM
call them up and tell them this is the price to properly trim the trees.... or else if they dont bite, dont mow or trim underneath them tell they are trimmed by you or someone else.

got one restaraunt that its so much a month to do whatever.... we trimmed some of the trees to mow under them better without telling restaurant. they liked the trimmed trees and realized their money is being spent well.

lawn_pro
09-20-2005, 06:08 AM
k, i have something that drives me nuts... low branches!!! especially the ones that are prickily and scrape against my skin at every pass... what do u guys do about this problem? do u just offer to cut/remove the branches for free in order to make it easier to mow? do u insist on having the owner either pay you or cut the branches himself to stop this cruel type of torture?

actually while i'm on the subject, what do u guys do about cable lines, and AC unit lines?? i actually had the idea of offering (for free, or just charge them for the supplies) to fill in certain "problem" areas (like around cable lines/AC lines) with some sort of decorative gravel or stone, or really anything to make it look nice and presentable, but at the same time (and more importantly) solve the problem of having to be extra careful with the trimmer around these spots, and almost worst having to constantly remind my workers and worry that they'll hit one, in which case an embarrassing explanation to the customer would be in order.... my thought is that the 15 mins u spend on "fixing" these problem spots would pay for itself 20 seconds per mow, with the added bonus of less headaches...

any thoughts on my thoughts?
yes, we have the same problem with branches..especially pine trees. It makes it very difficult to get under them and mow or even trim.

Lawn Masters
09-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I normally just trim them and explain that if I dont do it, they'll pose a direct threat to my wellbeing, mainly a risk of getting knocked out or something to that effect. nobody has complained yet about it. either they let me trim the branches back so I can safely mow, or I dont mow at all, thats my policy. if it can cause bodily harm, it will be removed,or trimmed to avoid risk to me or anyone else while mowing.

Varsity L&G
09-20-2005, 09:58 AM
I have always just trimmed the weird hanging branch with the loppers. Usually let the customer know if possible that they are in the way when mowing and they are OK with it. Takes about 30 seconds.

A little round-up around the AC and cable lines always works.

Howard Roark
09-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I swear Peltor Work tunes have heat seeking branch detectors on the band of the headset. No matter how low you think you are, the branch always finds the little loop and rips em' off your head. :angry:

topsites
09-20-2005, 11:14 AM
LOL it is such a minor issue the branch thing but I also get pretty pissed at them somedays, every dang time I swear one smacks you in the face and the one rips the earmuffs off can really hurt, one reason why I use foamies a lot anymore (the little things you stick IN your ear).

One thing I found helps and this is ONE of the MAIN reasons I disconnected the operator presence safety switch (actually you have to over-ride it) is so I can come up to a tree with low branches at full speed, let GO of the mower at the last moment and it ROLLS through underneath the branches as I walk around the branch-crap and pick up my mower on the other side :)
Took a bit of practice, at first the mower would get stuck right in the center of it all but eventually I got it down pretty good, branches frustrate me to no end. The only other thing is I learned to hunch way DOWN on the velke, to where the top of my head is about even with the handlebars on the Wb now you GOT to be careful but basically you're just squatting, sorta...

Varsity Lawn got it down like me, I do it the same way:
I always carry some loppers (or is it lopers) which is a long-handled garden shears and at NO charge, whenever I find a really stupid branch(es), I take them out and cut off the bunch and the tradeoff is worth it - They get a few branches trimmed for free, I get the stuff OUT of my face for a good while. I used to ask but I found so long you do it for free and don't OVER do it, I haven't had any complaints so a lot of times anymore I just do it lol

And yes, Round-up around A/C units ALSO always use Round-up around those PVC tubes and pipes such as the ones you find sticking out in yards with sprinkler systems (that upside-down U-shaped thing), I draw a nice little square then I don't have to take the risk of nicking it with the weed-eater.