PDA

View Full Version : I saw this on T.V. have you done these?

sheshovel
09-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Has anybody done patios of just plain decomposed granite?I have never seen this before
They just poured a bunch of it down,raked it out, wet it ,used a compactor on it then set patio furniture on it.
Is this a method of making a patio that will last?I would think it would wash away in heavy rain.
They also did this patio right over an existing mature Palm tree at least 6" right over the grade around the tree.
As far as I know that will eventually kill the tree .
Anyway it seemed wierd and 1/2 a...zed to me.Am I correct in thinking this?

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 05:52 AM
had a customer ask me about this last spring when she saw it on tv. no one around here offers the crushed granite, though.

UNISCAPER
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Yopu should see it when they are too cheap to install granbite counter tops in thier kitchen and they use that stuff for counter tops....

n2h20
09-20-2005, 03:33 PM
I have seen it for walkways and patios. yes it will wash away if it is a on a grade and gets heavy rains or water flow. If its level with a drain i dont think it would wash away(as much). I know many yards sell it around here. dOnt know where you are exactly sheshovel.

sheshovel
09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
By Yosemite National Park

desertrat
09-23-2005, 11:16 PM
I have done one patio, and a whole lot of driveways with it. I use 1/4"minus gravel that is 90% lime. I spread it, wet it and compact it with a compaction roller. It get real hard, and lasts a long time. Also, I have 4-5 colors to choose from. I live in Tucson, Arizona. One thing here is that we don't get a lot of rain.

kris
10-07-2005, 08:03 AM
We have done a few pathways and patio's with limestone screenings when pavers are cost prohibited for the customer... packs almost as hard as concrete and doesn't look to bad.

CAL-LANDSCAPER
10-07-2005, 12:31 PM
We've done some pathways (with edging to contain spreading)
Leveled and packed - worked out good.

Also have done other pathways (with edging) w/ pavers spaced apart for steps and fill remainder with d/g - worked out good.

But the section of 'driveway' to the back property that I spread d/g to level area turns to mud when it rains. During summer it's hard packed.

I've watched a few home improvements shows doing landscapes and hardscapes projects. Some have some interesting ideas, but 'others' can't HEAR me yell at them for being stupid.
But it's already too late because some home owner now has a GREAT idea for a project at home that they 'saw on tv'.

And we all know, IF it was on tv, IT must be true. :nono:

sheshovel
10-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Yea I love it when they put up those plywood walls in gardens,paint them and have water running out of a hole in the wood into a pond..now THAT'S really gonna last huh?
Or just a wall out of plywood,painted and a like bed thing in front of it with pillows and afgans and candles in long holders all around ...crap like that that is so impractical and phony and stupid looking it's a joke.

neighborguy
10-10-2005, 02:46 PM
the company I used to work for did a crushed granite driveway. The crew layed the stone down and then there was some sort of glue type material ( I don't recall if it was liquid or granular) and then sprayed it, followed by a compactor. Sorry I don't remember the product. Maybe check with concrete suppliers.