PDA

View Full Version : Meeting next years goal?

Sharp Services
09-20-2005, 02:27 AM
My #1 goal for next year is to double the number of accounts that I have at the present (for a total of 20 lawns or maybe even up to 25) so I can quite my part time jobs at Target and Walmart. I will continue my full time job (as a police officer) for the next 9 yrs and then retire and go full time.

I figure the best way is to advertise. This I have already started.

- I have put signs on my truck with my phone number (no calls yet, but it has only been two weeks)

- I have put out 400 fliers, around my present yards, over the past three weeks (no calls yet).

So my real goal for next year is to get a minimum of 10 new yards that average $60 per cut.

My plan is this:

1) Pass out 1000 fliers in my target neighborhoods.
2) Call all my present customers and ask for referrals.
3) Call family members and ask for referrals.
4) Personally meet the neighbors of the closest 5 homes to my present customer and ask to be their lawn guy.
5) Starting in March - hand out a business card to 5 new people a day (these can be found at the grocery store, Lowe's or any business that I deal with that is located in or near my target neighborhoods.

How does this plan sound?

Any suggestions for change?

Do you think it is enough or should I do more?

Any helpful input is welcomed!!

Thanks,

BladeRunner1967
09-20-2005, 07:26 AM
I would leave the family part out. Asking for problems IMO. Other than that it looks great to me. Good luck

TURFLORD
09-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Don't work for friends, family, or neighbors. Enjoy their friendship not their money. Don't call people begging for work it makes you look desperate and they'll take advantage of you. Don't buy anybody else's operation. There's usually a bad reason why they're selling out. Pamphlets are an excellent and cheap way to advertise, but it is illegal to put them in mailboxes, though complaints are rare, they do occur. Good luck.

dvmcmrhp52
09-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Adding an additional 10-15 accounts should be relatively easy through flyers and word of mouth................as long as your work is up to par word of mouth works pretty well for picking up a number of accounts each year.

topsites
09-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Don't work for friends, family, or neighbors. Enjoy their friendship not their money. Don't call people begging for work it makes you look desperate and they'll take advantage of you. Don't buy anybody else's operation. There's usually a bad reason why they're selling out. Pamphlets are an excellent and cheap way to advertise, but it is illegal to put them in mailboxes, though complaints are rare, they do occur. Good luck.

I'm with you, I don't call NOBODY asking for nothing, I find it tends to drive down my price as it puts them in the driver's seat when I'm ASKING for work thou I've been desperate enough to do it once or twice hehe
And whether you call it begging or whatever, if YOU call THEM, then you're begging, basically...

TURFLORD
09-20-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm with you, I don't call NOBODY asking for nothing, I find it tends to drive down my price as it puts them in the driver's seat when I'm ASKING for work thou I've been desperate enough to do it once or twice hehe
And whether you call it begging or whatever, if YOU call THEM, then you're begging, basically...
We've all learned thing the hard way :waving: That's why I like this site. There are guys out there dumbing down the whole industry, so if my experiences can help someone I figure it'll help raise the bar a bit.

South Florida Lawns
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I have done this and it becomes a pain. Especially when they expect you to give them a break because of the relationship. I could never bill accordingly because I always felt I was quoting to high for them. Now I just avoid it as much as possible, makes things easier for the both of us.