PDA

View Full Version : "oh...word of mouth can kill you...."

bobbygedd
09-20-2005, 05:46 PM
today i caught wind, of a former client, who is going around bashing me good. there is nothing i can do, nor, do i care. the scene, is as follows: mrs jones is on a flat monthly rate, payment plan. she was late, EVERY SINGLE MONTH from the first month she signed on, till i canned her a few weeks back. when her check was late, i'd simply cut all her neighbors, and bypass hers. sometimes, for 2, 3, 4 weeks at a time. sorry, that's the policy. when it got real bad, she'd send a check, then i would put her back on the schedule. she had more excuses than i cared to hear, even though some of them sounded pretty good. well, a few weeks back, i decided enough was enough, with leaf season comming, i aint into dealing with this nonsense. i cancelled her. she has been going around talking trash on me, saying the service was bad, and i "screwed her around" with the payments, because even though i wasn't comming every week, i still demanded my full payment. this, was the agreement. now, i know you guys say "bad news travels fast" blah blah blah. BUT, what was i supposed to do? give her free service out of fear she'd badmouth me? let her be late every single month? the bottom line is, wether u r right, or wrong, when you part ways, they will badmouth you anyhow.

Soupy
09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
I think this one is out of your control, and you did do the right thing. It goes to show that sometimes you have to pick your battles. In other words, sometimes it benefits you more to give a little rather then have a strict policy with no bending.

Next time find a scrub to pass this customer onto. This way it doesn't appear that you are completely dropping them. The only problem is this is hard to do when you cut others on the same street.

lawnmaniac883
09-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Well Bobby, ya better snuff her before she ruins your business! J/K, nothing you can do about it.

topsites
09-20-2005, 06:15 PM
I think You are only learning the lesson called ' Do NOT be afraid, do NOT fear them' and it is a bit scary but what I'm telling you is 'do not let them scare you.'
I've had worse, I pissed on some Insurance agent's wife who later turns out the husband is friends with either some local judge or maybe it was the commonwealth's attorney, anyway I thought my arse was in HOT water because those guys can send the law after you for NO reason (and I HAD reason to boot, at least ONE of my vehicles almost always has an expired decal or some other bs yes it is minor but it CAN be a hassle) but then it all boils down to nothing in very short time anyhow.
You'll be fine in the end, she's just getting rid of a bunch of her pita friends for you, let them ALL go pester a newer LCO as you will see years down the road as you WILL drive past (not on purpose) her yard one day, another Lco that looks MUCH like you did x-many years ago will be working there and you really shouldn't laugh at that point but it IS funny when you can see the look on his or her face and realize that is exactly how YOU looked way back when (and when this happens, you will know what I'm talking about).

It's all good man, it gets better with time and when something like this happens, all it means is you are now on your way to better waters because YOU did the right thing! NEVER let them mess you around, you cut her off not a day too soon, man, keep right on doing exactly what you're doing (don't let the head get too big, i done did that and that hurts, but other than that, you're on the right track).

Pecker
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Mail her a notice certified mail that what she is doing is slander (since what she is saying is not true), you won't tolerate it, that you are documenting every source by which her words have come to you, and you are seriously considering taking legal action against her for it.

JB1
09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Send her a picture of your shovel.

rodfather
09-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Mail her a notice certified mail that what she is doing is slander (since what she is saying is not true), you won't tolerate it, that you are documenting every source by which her words have come to you, and you are seriously considering taking legal action against her for it.

Not only slander, but defamation of character. Personally, I would respond accordingly with a letter from my attorney.

Rollacosta
09-20-2005, 07:12 PM

Good advise...man what is it with some people.... :angry: I have had the same troubles in the past Bobbygedd ,lifes to short to get REAL annoyed with people like this..

Brianslawn
09-20-2005, 07:23 PM
someone is badmouthing you bobby? i cannot believe that. that must be the only time anyone has ever badmouthed you in the past 5 minutes. lol. flaming dog crap on her front step! :p

TURFLORD
09-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Tell her to show more respect. Accidents happen. You never know what can happen to you..........or your landscaping. :gunsfirin

bobbygedd
09-21-2005, 08:31 AM
oh, believe me, i aint worried about it. my point was simply, to worry about getting nasty with a client, because you fear they will trash talk you, is stupid. they are gonna trash talk you anyhow

Tvov
09-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I have actually gotten more customers because of similar situations. Basically, the friends / neighbors figured if I dealt with him/her like that, I must be a straightforward kind of guy. It can be weird how things payoff sometimes.

topsites
09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Personally I wouldn't send, say, or do anything about it at all other than ignore it and forget about it as soon as possible.

Let sleeping AND angry dogs be, let them go one direction while YOU head for the other, nice as can be.