PDA

View Full Version : 3 scenerios

bobbygedd
09-20-2005, 04:54 PM
#1- you are prepaid for a fert program, that includes x amount of treatments. an additional one is neccesary, do to , whatever reason. do you charge an additional fee, or, eat it. #2- you are prepaid $200 to keep the beds weeded for the season. you figured it would need maybe 4 visits, at around an hour each. well, you come to find out, it's really gonna be 6 visits, at around an hour each. do you demand payment for the extra visits, or, eat it. #3- you are prepaid for shrub trimming maintenance for the season. you figured one light clipping in spring, one big one after the growing season, and another light one in mid fall. as it turns out, excessive rain caused these things to grow like wild, and all 3 visits were more than you expected. do you demand more money, or, eat it. just be honest. i aint gonna bash anyone for saying they'd eat the extra cost. remember, you were pre paid for all of these services. thank you for participating

rodfather
09-20-2005, 06:04 PM
If I estimated incorrectly, I eat it. Next year I will make the necessary monetary adjustments though.

splatz100
09-20-2005, 06:13 PM
YOUR fault on bidding, comes out of YOUR pocket........

Appalachian landscape
09-20-2005, 06:17 PM
an estimate is an estimate. if it was the exact price it would be called a quote or the price. I give estimates. It's not my fault when I bid the job, I hadn't yet learned to predict the future.

PMLAWN
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
A prepaid contract is just that----a contract.

Always add for the unseen or unexpected. Yes you will have to sell it right in spring but that is part of the game.

I say this under the assumption that being prepaid means ---contract

rodfather
09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
These are small time scenarios. If the cost of eating your miscalculation is that big of a deal for you, then you are in the wrong business IMO. We're talking peanuts here, not a make-or-break deal...

PMLAWN
09-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Talk about underbidding--- one of the HOA's I do, at about 60K for the year, is taking bids. HOA board called me in and asked why someone could do it for $23500.00!! Simple answer, they can't.
3 bids me -another within 4K of me and this winner. And they are considering him!!!!!!
Got to love it.

Nosmo
09-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Let's assume all three situations are contracts which can either be oral (or better yet written).

#2 -- $200.00 for the entire season to remove weeds. Looks like you underestimated this one because you didn't state how many trips you would make. You only thought how many it might take. The customer thought you would come when the beds needed weeding. No meeting of the minds between the parties.

#3 -- Same situation as #2 customer thinks you are gonna keep the shrubs trimmed when they need it. You under estimated the growing rate. No meeting of the minds between the parties.

#1 -- You win on this one. X amount of treatments are stated in the contract. Both parties know how many treatments are to be given. But the customer may argue you told me X amount would be enough. So it is up to you,
if this argument is given, because you may loose the customer.

Nosmo

lawnguyland
09-20-2005, 07:01 PM
think Weird Al doing Michael Jackson here...
eat it (do do do) just eat it eat it yeah.

TURFLORD
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
My fert program is fixed but additional app's for fungus and ants are unavoidable sometimes and therefore billable. Weeding and trimming bushes I bill hourly rate. If my estimates are that off I'll inform the customer prior to billing and try to absorb some of it for being that wrong. I usually quote heavy on first time jobs even though this strategy knocks my sign-on rate down to about 50%.

shiveslandcsaping
09-20-2005, 07:34 PM
is it a signed contract and if so how is it stated?

bobbygedd
09-20-2005, 07:44 PM
ok, reason i'm asking.....this is a 2 way street, aint it? if i'm gonna eat it one way, they have to eat it sometimes too, right? ok, so, my man goes out today to trim some bushes at my clients home. i go to 4 others and do aerations and seeding. i get done first, and go to see how he is making out trimming. i pull up and say to myself, "wow, this lawn is looking sweet.green, thick, weed free, i love it. let me check my records and see when they are due for thier next app." well, i pull thier file, and i realize, they only recieved one app all year. it was in early april, a fert + dimension. that's it. my notations show that every other time we went to apply, the guy had the sprinklers on, or it started raining, and one time, there were people in the yard. hmmm, i charged this guy $400, and only did one app. BUT, the lawn is the finest in the neighborhood. at this point, maybe i'll just do one more, perhaps a 35-10-5. do i owe him money? it's a 2 way street, aint it?

Nosmo
09-20-2005, 09:16 PM
You charged the guy $400.00 but what was he to get for the payment ? Was he to receive fertilizer as needed or a fixed amount of applications ?

If you agreed to keep the yard fertilized as needed to keep it lush you did it even if you only applied it once. You said the yard looked great. You owe him nothing if this was the contract.

On the other hand if you agreed to a certain amount of applications it looks like you owe him something. Why haven't you been around since the first application just to see what his lawn looks like ? But if he wants more what I would do instead of a refund is this -- try to work out the rest of the applications beginning with next spring.

Nosmo

Appalachian landscape
09-21-2005, 12:24 AM
is he happy with your service? is his lawn as green and weed free as ever? maybe he thinks your worth every penny.

Nosmo
09-21-2005, 06:54 AM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd] well, i pull thier file, and i realize, they only recieved one app all year. it was in early april, a fert + dimension. that's it. my notations show that every other time we went to apply, the guy had the sprinklers on, or it started raining, and one time, there were people in the yard.

Sorry that I asked why you hadn't been back to check on the lawn . If this is a really an actual case you could have knocked on the door or phoned and explained you came to
fert and would like to make a definite day to do it.

Nosmo

bobbygedd
09-21-2005, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=bobbygedd] well, i pull thier file, and i realize, they only recieved one app all year. it was in early april, a fert + dimension. that's it. my notations show that every other time we went to apply, the guy had the sprinklers on, or it started raining, and one time, there were people in the yard.

Sorry that I asked why you hadn't been back to check on the lawn . If this is a really an actual case you could have knocked on the door or phoned and explained you came to
fert and would like to make a definite day to do it.

Nosmo
nosmo, this was a "problem" client. the sprinklers, being the biggest problem. he was told time and time again, only water 2-3 times a week, not 7 days a week. we agreed on what days will not be watered. he watered anyway.

MarcSmith
09-21-2005, 07:42 AM
All of my work when I had my biz was yearly contract adn if they signed on the line for the full service deal. It was my job to keep the place loking good. If I had to make 10 visits for chinch bugs, or sped extra time weeding so be it. But the customer aslo understood, as it was in the contract, that they would pay the same amount each month whether I was at their place 2x or 10x. Obviously if we had a wet year I lost a bit on having to cut more grass and pull more weeds, but if I had a dry year I was my turn to benefit....

I say its a wash...you win on the fert, and they win on the weeds/shrubs.

Next year try some snap shot or pre-M in the beds to cut down on the number of weeds (if you don't already do so)

Nosmo
09-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok Bobby , I didn't know you had asked the guy to slow down on the watering and had him agreeing to water only on certain days which he did not do. This changes things .

You might get by with nothing ever being said about more fertilizer apps. The property looks great and he isn't complaining. I believe I would go on about my business elsewhere and deal with him if he contacts you.

By the way I'm assuming somebody else does the mowing either the owner or another LCO - right ?