PDA

View Full Version : Ressurrecting dead Lawns. Whats your secret recipe?

CharlieBingo
09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
The NY, NJ area landscapers are trying to revive some of the most toasted lawns I've seen in years. My recipe for revival is heavy de-thatching, aerating, seeding and lastly lime or gypsum when needed. Any good revival "recipes"?

Wells
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Water.......

lawnmaniac883
09-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Yup, water hands down....

CharlieBingo
09-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Don't forget oxygen and maybe soil. Sadly sarcasm doesn't really help us on a learning site.

Turfdude
09-20-2005, 10:47 PM
On the right track Charlie... don't forget thin coating of peat moss over really bare areas (holds moisture & hides seeds from birds) and of course application of balanced starter fert. Please make sure that if it was fungal damage that the fungus was properly addressed so the fert won't make the fungus take off even further as the de-thatching stresses the healthy turfgrass blades as well.

gorknoids
09-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Or Palmolive.
Surfactants make water "wetter". They reduce the surface tension of water, permitting it to move deeper into the soil strata and provide a more stable reservoir for not just newly-seeded lawns, but well established ones. I do this quite a bit on newly constructed properties where heavy equipment has been operated and where the lawn was recently a lay-down area for building materials. Aeration just doesn't open up severely compacted clay to the point where it is functional from a hydraulic standpoint, but a surfactant can really improve the water holding (field) capacity of a plot.
Or like the other guys said, aerate, seed and fertilize..............

rodfather
09-21-2005, 06:34 AM
Or like the other guys said, aerate, seed and fertilize..............

And hope for some steady rain. Period

nate1422
09-21-2005, 08:15 AM
I understand the science behind the use of polmolive or dawn but how do you apply and how much. I think this could be a helpful solution to the problems that I am having in my lawn, see Mass Renovation, as my lawn was newly seeded and crusted over this summer. Very interesting approach so tell us more.

GreenUtah
09-23-2005, 07:29 PM
a hose end sprayer, or if you love wasting time, a pump up sprayer can disperse these little gems from the Jerry Baker school. Using a dish soap as a surfactant/penetrant is hardly the most cost effective nor easy to apply solution for hydrophobic soils. For fun, try it out and let me know when the foam settles down then I'll send you over to the local ag or truf supply store to ask for something that works a little better..lol

Charlie,
I'd hate to think water was obvious as well, but there has to be a lack of it to get the lawns in that sort of shape to begin with, so what will have changed? If there isn't some sort of way of regular watering to resume growth, it will make zero difference what you put down or in what way, might as well pave. Otherwise, some starter fert with a topdressing of your favorite compost is about the only addition to what you already listed.