PDA

View Full Version : non 2-4-d

kcchiefs58
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I was wondering what kind of non 2-4-d herbicide you use that you deem effective. I have used a few kinds and was particularly interested in these kinds products that work well killing spurge. There are alot that are labeled for spurge but don't do the job. Just curious if someone has used something that is good.

MrBarefoot
09-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Try Eliminate from Lesco.

turf hokie
09-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Try Eliminate from Lesco.

I second that works good on spurge, clover, plaintain. etc.

GreenUtah
09-22-2005, 07:31 PM
I was wondering what kind of non 2-4-d herbicide you use that you deem effective. I have used a few kinds and was particularly interested in these kinds products that work well killing spurge. There are alot that are labeled for spurge but don't do the job. Just curious if someone has used something that is good.

KC,
You may want to try a surfactant/sticker with what you already have. The leaf on spurge( like clover, medic or field bindweed/morning glory) is small and very waxy, so often it's difficult to get it covered well enough and long enough to get the absorption you need for it to be effective. A finer mist spray nozzle is also helpful, although it presents more problems for drift. Out of curiosity, why no 2-4,D? You can always run a late app of pre-emergent next spring to control spurge as well.

kcchiefs58
09-23-2005, 12:09 AM
KC,
You may want to try a surfactant/sticker with what you already have. The leaf on spurge( like clover, medic or field bindweed/morning glory) is small and very waxy, so often it's difficult to get it covered well enough and long enough to get the absorption you need for it to be effective. A finer mist spray nozzle is also helpful, although it presents more problems for drift. Out of curiosity, why no 2-4,D? You can always run a late app of pre-emergent next spring to control spurge as well.

Legally we can only blanket cover a lawn with 2-4-d only in two applications per year. We have chosen to spray early with 2-4-d, leaving us with this time of year. We do use surfactant but the only weed killers i have found to really knock out spurge is super trimec, speed zone both 2-4-d and power zone and quick silver which are both non 2-4-d but very expensive. I have used eliminate which no success on spurge, horsepower slight kill but not good enough also encore with same results as horsepower. I was hoping to find something i didn't have to hand tank but i guess that's not going to happen.
thanks for the input.

TOMMY1115
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Have you tried Lesco's Momentum FX. It's a new product this year and has worked well on hard to kill weeds like clover, thistle, spurge, etc. Rate of 1.3 - 1.5 oz per 1000.
Make sure you use the correct amount of surfactant also!!!!!

GreenUtah
09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Legally we can only blanket cover a lawn with 2-4-d only in two applications per year. .

Right, but I doubt that blanketing for spurge is necessary, most of it is along your concrete edges, right? Spot spray for it with the product that works for you(that'll save you the product cost anyway) and use whatever else you choose to knock down those dandys that are popping right now, they're easy.