PDA

View Full Version : When do you send guys out?

MudslinginFX4
09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Up to this point I've pretty much been right beside my employees for the most part working all day long. I take a day here and a day there to catch up on my office work, but for the most part I do my office work when I get done working in the early evenings. I am to the point where I just can't handle it anymore.
When do I need to make the move and just send the guys out to do the work and me just check up on everything? This is going to be one of the hardest parts for me to let go because I am a perfectionist and have always done a good job. I know when I set the guys loose more things will get broken, I will loose several acounts etc... I have so much estimates to give I'm not worried about picking up 10-15 even more mowing accounts in the next several weeks, is this when you step away from working "in" your business and focus working "on" your business? Is this the next big move for most?

qualitylandscaping
09-20-2005, 10:17 PM
I didn't make that move until I had a good group of guys that I had full trust in..

Got some good guys and got some I would fire in a heartbeat if I could find a somewhat better working replacement.

I think you need to make sure, you can trust your main "foreman" to handle things in the field. I spend about 70% of each work day in the office or out doing estimates. Unless we are working on some of my better properties or are hauling up to the adirondacks, I usually let my guys do the work..

Just wait until you feel you have that "trust" established, and let them loose!

DFW Area Landscaper
09-20-2005, 10:51 PM
The back injury forced me into the office last September and it was the best thing that ever happened. It opened my eyes to the fact that an employee can do the job I was doing.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

MudslinginFX4
09-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys for the input. I have mixed thoughts about setting them loose, but know when I find the right guy it will be the right time. I've been looking, but haven't run into that person yet.

DLCS
09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
:p I didn't make that move until I had a good group of guys that I had full trust in..

Got some good guys and got some I would fire in a heartbeat if I could find a somewhat better working replacement.

I think you need to make sure, you can trust your main "foreman" to handle things in the field. I spend about 70% of each work day in the office or out doing estimates. Unless we are working on some of my better properties or are hauling up to the adirondacks, I usually let my guys do the work..

Just wait until you feel you have that "trust" established, and let them loose!

All I have to say is amazing.

Now where is that BS flag when you need it.

wacamaster
09-21-2005, 11:14 PM
You need one of those guys.... like how everyday you wish every worker of yours was just like you. I had a guy that was 99% like me.. he goofed up just a tad more but was an ACE. The problem was he was so much of an ace he went off and started his own lawn business. He's missing business practices though and his company is failing miserably. I often wonder if someday I'm lucky enough to get himback.