PDA

View Full Version : mortared stone wall?

steve in Pa.
09-20-2005, 09:23 PM
what kind of production hrs are involved with mt. stone wall that is mortared in the back of the wall. Have never done a mortared wall but homeowner insitsts that the back stones are mortared together. wall is aprox. 140 sq. ft, 65' x 2' hight. once again not real familiar with stone installation, production hrs. stone is on sight.

treedoc1
09-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Remember to add on 1/2 foot below grade in your calc. Add in the concrete footer because its all mortared or none of its mortared...no in between.

My calcs show 65 x 2.5 = 162.5 face feet. I normally build the walls 18" wide.

with scrap you will need about 8 pallets or 12 tons.

One day to excavate and pour the footer, 4 days to mortar the stone
Use 200 man hours (4 man crew)for the total, that equals about 4 face feet per hour which is good for a beginner.

$8937.50 for mortared wall...$5687.50 for drystack (1.5 days quicker)

I supply my own stone for that price...I wouldn't discount because stone is there...you still have to pick through it and move it.

the two photos show the difference in setup between mortared and dry stack

Kohls Landscaping Co
09-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Here are several pictures of mortared stonework that I have done that might give you some ideas...

I pour a 1 foot deep concrete footer underneath the stone. The typically organize the stone by heighth to make sure that each layer stays level. A lot of it is just finding the right stone to fit the right spot. Let me know if I can be of any help. Thanks!

Dave

Dirty Water
09-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Treedoc, in your second picture, are you following a engineering plan on the rebar verticles?

How many runs of rebar are in the footing? Are they tied to the verticles? (I'm assuming they are bent like L's).

Also, how many of you guys prefer to excavate out your footing form instead of forming it from 2x12's?

treedoc1
09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
No engineering plans.

I removed an old rotten tie wall, dug back to subsoil. I excavate for the form. This wall wasn't that tall...two horizontal runs of rebar tied into each of the verticals...a set of verticals every 3'...I pound them into the earth about 3' deep, then tie in the horizontals...rebar is cheap...4" perf drain wrapped in fabric and backfilled with 57's...sloped to daylight.

Almost always use earthen forms.

treedoc1
09-23-2005, 10:38 AM
End result of that part of the project