PDA

View Full Version : Better price on Redmax 8000

The Curious Porpoise
09-21-2005, 07:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-RedMax-EBZ8000-Blower-Left-Hand-Throttle_W0QQitemZ7713346266QQcategoryZ71274QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

there ya go, about $50 cheaper (after shipping) than the dealer down the street from me wants to charge me. So why not buy from this ebay guy? my only question is if i buy the blower from this guy and if something goes wrong w/ it, will my local Redmax dealer fix it for me (still being under warranty) even though he didn't sell it to me? is there any disadvantage or potential risk giving me reason to shell out the extra $50 to my local dealer for the same exact product?

oh yea, and this particular auction is for the left handed throttle, but the same ebay seller has right handed throttle model's for the same price on a different auction. My dealer said buy a left handed throttle one because it has less problems than the right handed one-which apparently breaks or comes loose... then the other day some one on this sight says "only buy the right-handed model".... so what's a guy like me to do? the only blower i own has the throttle mounted on the left side, and i don't mind it there at all... some one please expand on this topic w/ the pro's and con's of each...

Thanks once again in advance!!!!!

LB1234
09-21-2005, 10:26 AM
IMHO, $50 isn't worth it. Basically you are talking about one cut lawn or about 1/2hr worth of work.

Give you a for instance...

Bought my 8000 and used it for one big job. The screw that holds the motor to the frame on the top was completely gone, leaving the motor/engine to go flapping about. Drove to my dealer he took one look at it, apologized, went over to the display rack and took the bolt from that one since he didn't have any in stock.

Now, I'm sure he wouldn't have done that if I DIDN'T buy it from him. I'd look at it as the 50 bucks I would have saved would have meant nothing when compared to the downtime of the unit.

dcplace2004
09-21-2005, 01:51 PM
from afar, and get NO dealer support...not that redmax really gives any support that is even 5 percent of effort...

Markf
09-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Bought a 8000 from a sponsor here on lawnsite. We did save $ and the sponsor is really nice and helpful, but like LB1234, ours broke under warranty. I brought it to our usual dealer (I was embarrased :blush: ) He fixed it right away and out the door we went. Is it really worth $50 saved for that type of service?
Mark

dcplace2004
09-21-2005, 05:23 PM
at the redmax dealer here, I ain't quite so sure...later...

LB1234
09-21-2005, 05:50 PM
at the redmax dealer here, I ain't quite so sure...later...

Well, it wasn't a redmax thing...it was a dealer thing. It helps that we've bought numerous equipment from him as well as landscape materials over the years.

I think too many people underestimate dealer support (According to what I read here).

HK45Mark23
09-21-2005, 06:29 PM
I think too many of you donít realize that warranty work is warranty work no matter where you buy it and if it is out of warranty you will come out of pocket.

There is no difference where you buy something; the only difference is in your heads.

A dealer technician does not care if you bought the item there they are trained to fix it and either bill the factory or you.

Really the difference is can you go to the dealer and say, ďI can get an item for this plus shipping and handling, can you match or better that price?Ē Then if the price is still better on line with taxes and shipping then go for it.

The dealer will still make money to service it no matter if it is under warranty or not.

The dealer support should not be any different weather or not you bought it from them or not and if it is you have a bad dealer.

Here is a good for instance, you should know that on a new car sales lot, they make all of their money on the used cars and service department. New cars make so little in comparison to used. They (the dealer) could care less if you buy the new car there. They will make all of their money on the service. I guarantee your dealers are making money on servicing you equipment than the sale of the large items.

Think about it guys and girl.

HK45Mark23

LB1234
09-21-2005, 08:02 PM
You are correct in what you said, I'm not going to dispute warranty work is paid for. However, I've gotten free repairs from my service guy. They plugged a flat tire on the trailer for me and didn't charge me a dime. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Also, put it this way. Who's equipment is first in line to be fixed...those that have bought equipment there or those that have bought somewhere else and are having it repaired there?

LawnBoy89
09-21-2005, 08:05 PM
WHHHATTT? That isn't even cheap, especially after they ship it. Landscapesupplyonline.com call them up and tell them what you want I'm sure you will get much better price, only thing no dealer support.

Lazer_Z
09-21-2005, 08:13 PM
What's the dealer quoting you??? I've only gotten one quote so far for $459.99+tax. I've also gotten a quote on a Stihl BR600 for $479.99+tax.
If I were to pay asking price for the 8000 I would be at $487.99 but,I have bought a lot of equipment off of the dealer I am going to go to so I know I'll get a couple $$$ knocked off.

Rob

JB1
09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I haven't had trimmers or blowers back to a dealer in years not any problems or we fix it.

HK45Mark23
09-22-2005, 01:36 AM
I haven't had trimmers or blowers back to a dealer in years not any problems or we fix it.

I understand your point, but you still have to buy parts if they break. Dealer mark up is astronomical. So for those who allow the dealer to maintain the equipment they make good money and for those who do it them self they (the dealer) still sells the parts. I know the auto example is a little different. A lot of people maintain their own cars, well to the point that they donít have the equipment (computer) or training.

I do all of my own general maintenance like tune up items and general adjustments. But I only have 150 hours on a John Deere JX75 and in the first year the transmission had to be replaced at only 50 hours. This year just 2 weeks ago the ratchet spur was broke and the corresponding spring was also broke. It was good that I still had a year of warranty left. It would lock up the wheels when I tried to back up. They fixed it with no problems. I still think that this is too many problems for a new John Deere mower that was in production for over 15 years with only minor changes and upgrades. I have the last Silver Bullet Green Paint JX 75 that was in my aria before this new rounded larger JX75 came out last year.

Still the dealer makes good money on service and parts.

HK45Mark23

Soupy
09-22-2005, 02:42 AM
My dealer gives me about the same price as online when you consider shipping etc. I just bought a Redmax 7001 for $399 from my dealer.

mslawn
09-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Just bought 2 from my local dealer for 450.00 each.