PDA

View Full Version : stump removal

twindiddy
09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
We've been asked to bid on clearing a lot. It's about 8,000 sq/ft. Someone has already cut the trees down and left the stumps. This lot is surrounded by new houses and he wants to build on it in the future. My plan is to bring in a Bobcat for the brush and debris removal. My problem is the stumps. Is a Bobcat mean enough to pull out the root ball of a 24" dia. stump 3 ft tall? I'm thinking I should be able to push it over or hook a chain to it and pull it out. Can the Bobcat do it? What do you guys think?

twindiddy
09-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I've got two options:

1. clear the lot, grind the stumps, let the site preps worry about the root ball.
2. clear the lot, pull up the root balls.

He wants the site cleared and ready to prep. I'm guessing that means remove the root balls.

Of course, that's his call. I would like to be prepared with both prices next time we talk to him.

LB1234
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Rent a backhoe and dig them out.

lqmustang
09-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Rent a backhoe and dig them out.

What he said, or, if the stumps are tall enough, find someone with a big dozer to push them out.

Nosmo
09-21-2005, 07:09 PM
50 x 165 is 8,250 sq. feet roughly the size of the lot. I wonder how many stumps are involved. Well anyhow a stump 24" in diameter is gonna have a sizeable root system .

I'd go with the suggestion in the previous post that you rent a backhoe. I have a neighbor who has a large Case backhoe and he removed some Oak Tree Stumps for another neighbor of mine with no problems. These were about 14 to 18 inches in diameter and the big Case grabbed them out of the ground in one bite.

Renting a backhoe will probably be not as costly as hiring a bulldozer.

Nosmo

dvmcmrhp52
09-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Bulldozer.
A bobcat won't do much with 24" trees, and digging them out is a waste.
A bulldozer will push them out if enough of the trunk is left standing and three feet of stump should do it.
Forget about grinding as well, it will take entirely too long depending how many stumps you're talking about.

vntgrcr
09-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I actually spent today pulling stumps out of very sandy soil with my Cat 257. The biggest was a 12" pine. I would have rather used my Bobcat excavator,but the developer didn't think it was big enough/ worth the extra cost. Another story for another time. It is hard on a skid steer for this kind of work. If I was you, rent a large enough excavator, Cat 307,311, Hitachi 100ish and pull those things, rent a large dumpster put them right in there and it is done. I wouldn't even bring up the grinding solution up, #1 you don't leave stumps on a buildable lot, and 2 it kind of sounds like you aren't too familiar with that kind of work. Not a slam, just a suggestion to help you get the job. Good luck
David

Jerry and Sons
09-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Be sure to get a full siz backhoe. I just completed a job using a 3/4 size hoe and the machine was not strong enough to clear all the stumps out. I also tried to dig the root balls up witht the back hoe. What a production that was :dizzy: Thank god i was chargeing an hourly rate payup

Runner
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
yes, if you're going to dig them, get a sizeable backhoe or excavator. Forget the grinder idea, because they all have to be cut off lower first, anyway. A backhoe, pile them, and burn them.

twindiddy
09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
thanks for the responses!