PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a BBB member?

tpirobert
03-16-2001, 10:59 PM
Does anyone belong to their local Better Business Bureau? My local chapter has solicited my business for joining. Cost $175 a year plus $25 one time set-up fee. Is this a good tool for getting customers or a potential headache and waste of money.

Fine Lines Lawn
03-16-2001, 11:23 PM
Here in Indy it costs $300.00 plus a year, and you get a directory of fellow members.
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

joshua
03-16-2001, 11:28 PM
i am thinking about joining mine but it seems like for how much business is in my town they hardly give back anything, plus who wants a hard head kid in that kind of group?

Rex Mann
03-17-2001, 12:07 AM
We are in our local BBB. It costs 275.00 per year. They have a web, which is pretty cool. I may get 1-2 calls from people surfing their site.

We are in their arbitration program. Instead of someone suing us it would go to an arbitrator. Way less expensive and time consuming. We are really in for that alone.

Rex

Stonehenge
03-17-2001, 08:48 AM
When I checked it out here it was $300. And it seemed all you got was a plaque and the potential to lose your BBB status if 2 people called to complain (not that I expect complaint calls, but if I pay $300, I want something positive).

After I declined they started this aggressive telemarketing, leaving urgent sounding messages "You need to call us as soon as possible", like we were in some kind of trouble. Really turned me off.

Kent Lawns
03-17-2001, 09:11 AM
The BBB is a plaque for crooks to hide behind.

There are 5 or 6 known fly-by-nighters in my area who are members. They owe suppliers hundred of thousands of dollars. They give our industry a bad name. When I bring it up to the BBB's attention when they call me, the BBB says they have "no way of finding this out or policing it."

Well if they have "no way of finding this out or policing" bad business practices, what the &^#) are they doing?

The BBB is a plaque for crooks to hide behind.

Turfclippings
03-17-2001, 11:09 AM
i belong for a year in INdiana for 300$. I didnt renew after a year, they didnt do me any favors, and after i didnt renew they begged for their plague back for a year, saying it belong to them and i can no longer display it or promote being a BBB member, like i bragged about it the year i was a member!

Then a few years later the plow truck starter froze up in a parking lot, during a moajor winter storm and i had the truck sent to a garage and they told me i would have it back within a day and a half, because i was willing to pay for it be up and running, anyway on the 3 rd day we went and bought one and put it in on their lot be the jackasses never attempted to work on the truck yet. so i fileed a bad report with BBB on them, it was 4 months before i recieved a call from the manager on his complaint, by then i said the hell with tthem i was not returning his call because you know he would know nothing about it and i have no intentios of dealing with that shop again

So the BBB is not one organizations i care to deal and is a waste of money for the little man, for 300$ thats a lot of advertising to be spent elsewhere.

John Allin
03-17-2001, 04:44 PM
Makes me glad I didn't fall for the 'pitch' last year.

65hoss
03-18-2001, 11:58 PM
I got one of those calls last year that made it sound urgent to call them back. When I did, it was just a sales pitch. It makes some potential customers feel better, but in reality it probably doesn't earn back what it cost.

BDP
03-19-2001, 02:48 PM
We just got back from vacation last week and had an urgent call on the phone message machine from BBB. When I called back immediately thinking "who is bad mouthing us", it was a heavy sales pitch. I told her we didn't need any more advertisement, we need reliable help!!! We don't advert. we get customers through word of mouth, which I believe is the best reputation. Besides, I don't want to pay all this money and have a couple of jerky customers (which you seem to get each year) call up and complain.

lawnman_scott
03-19-2001, 10:37 PM
Costs $125 a year here in FL, i thought about joining but seems all you get is a ribbon cutting ceremony with a city official and a free Breakfast one saturday a month. I sleep in on sat, and work out of my house, not for me. I did however get the urgent message, and returned the call after I got home in the middle of summer, after getting ripped off by someone, so I dont think they will be calling again lol.

Mscotrid
03-20-2001, 04:41 PM
Throw your employees a pre-season party you will get more bang for your buck. The BBB is a private business that quite a few people believe is a government institution. That have no legal power over businesses and their arbitration policies in my opinion are a joke.

Treat you employees to a pre-season bash and you will reap a greater return.

Mike

lawnboy53
03-21-2001, 10:39 AM
I was a member awhile back but thought the dues increases up to about $300.00, were to much. There is also no rule saying a mad customer has to go thru them for arbitration, they can still sue you, even if you are a BBB member. I think it is a good organization but there fees are to high for the benefit recieved in my book. I think SIMA would be a much better investment.

UrbanEarth
03-21-2001, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. As with others, I have had bad experiences with their 'arbitration', and what they consider to be a resolution to the problem (The shop gave me back my VCR, in pieces, but did give me my money back as well. Problem solved, right?) I also feel that you do not have to belong to an organization in order to provide high quality and professional service (which I have yet to find from any BBB member). I will actually steer away from someone who promotes themselves as a BBB member.

Alan

tpirobert
03-21-2001, 09:32 PM
Well, 13 negative comments on BBB membership so far. I think I'll politely decline their "invitation". I greatly appreciate all the comments shared. This re-enforces my gut feeling about the BBB.

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE
03-24-2001, 07:35 PM
G&S PROFESSIONAL LANDSCAPING SERVICE is a proud member of the better business bureau,along with membership in the Ohio landscapers association,We are a professional customer service, landscaping company,Membership in these organasations helps us permote a sound company that will be here for our customers for a long time,Both of these organasations require a list of refercences of your past custoners, and are looking at good business practices,Since joining these organasations we have seen a large number of new upper scale professionals looking for our service,we use these logos on all estimates ,billing,business cards-on our trucks and trailers.All i can say is these organasations will benifit your company, and project to potentional customers a positive image of your company.It works for us,and if your are in the cleveland area please dont use the BBB, OR OLA that more business for us.

bob
03-25-2001, 05:43 PM
Comedian George Carlin said, "Who do you complain to, if the BBB rips you off"!

Albemarle Lawn
03-31-2001, 03:19 PM
HEY MR PROFESSIONAL G&S,

WHAT IS AN ORGANASATION?

Organization. Maybe the BBB is an organization for ignorants and charlatans, too?

KB

G & S LANDSCAPING SERVICE
04-01-2001, 03:40 PM
thank you Albemarl lawn -for pointing out a spelling mistake,I will use spell check from now on. And have a great day!

Grapevine
04-01-2001, 08:13 PM
I got a call from them last year and knew immediately it was a scam. Telling me how good my complaint record was and that by joining them I could keep it that way, give me a break.
If you really want to join a local association, look into your local chamber of Commerce. They have decent rates on Health insurance and local business people in your area.
The BBB is a bunch of Scumbags

mbwent
04-07-2001, 03:04 PM
Join the local Chamber of Commerce instead - networking and marketing opportunities are well worth the investment.