PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Walkbehind blower horsepower?

proenterprises
09-21-2005, 05:00 PM
What HP does everyone run in their walkbehind blowers?

South Florida Lawns
09-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Its a turbojet that mounts to the back of my truck.

mkwl
09-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I have a 2003 10HP Little Wonder blower w/ Briggs Intek I/C engine, and a 1989 8 HP Mighty Mac blower w/ Briggs engine.

LB1234
09-21-2005, 07:20 PM
We have a 5 and a 6. Both little wonders.

BTW, for those with the 8HP and higher...

how tired are you pushing those blowers around...especially over some hilly terrain?

proenterprises
09-21-2005, 07:22 PM

how tired are you pushing those blowers around...especially over some hilly terrain?

5 and 6? Wow, you must not get many leaves. Many of the dealers I have talked with arent even bothering to stock the 6hp model this year since it is so underpowered.

rob1325
09-21-2005, 07:41 PM
16hp hydro

LB1234
09-21-2005, 07:43 PM
5 and 6? Wow, you must not get many leaves. Many of the dealers I have talked with arent even bothering to stock the 6hp model this year since it is so underpowered.

Actually we get a lot of leaves. Enough work to warrant a 16HP leaf loader as well. Be careful your dealer doesn't have any 6hp models left and he is giving you some jargon to move the 8's & up out...

Also, do you realize the weight difference between a 5 and 8HP model leaf loaders? I just looked onto little wonders website...the 5/6hp are 110/115#'s, respectively. Although I have the B&S not the honda engine on the 5hp. Also, according to the website the 8/10HP models are 152/161#'s, respectively. That's approximately 40#'s more for 2 more hp.

Not sure how long your leaf cleanup days are but ours run all day at times (during late october through november). I dunno pushing around an additional 30-40#'s up a hill is not my idea of fun. The reason why I asked my question is to basically figure out if the additional weight will shorten the length of day...since at this time we are dealing with daylight savings and darkness in the evening.

BSDeality
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
in this profession you need to have the right tool for the job, I will not go less than 10hp blowers any more. For hills and such, i use a couple echo 750's to get the job done. I also use my Z for pushing leaves, it makes life much easier.

Runner
09-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Definitely don't go any less than 8 hp on the blowers. Also, if you go with any other brand other than the LW, don't get the little itty bitty propellored ones.

mkwl
09-21-2005, 09:37 PM

Most of my lawns are relatively flat, but the bit of extra weight from the increased HP is definitely worth the drastically increased productivity! Any WB blower under 6HP is pointless. My LW blower is INCREDIBLE!!!!

topsites
09-21-2005, 09:52 PM

I have the 10Hp B&S OHV Intek Billygoat mid-framed turbofan that puts out a literal WALL of air pushing piles of leaves (no, make it PILES OF LEAVES) a distance sooo far, I can hardly feel the weight due to the exhilaration of seeing the jetstream at work.

At full throttle, this thing moves large branches, rocks, garbage cans and most anything in its way so fast that if I'm not real careful around certain driveways, it will strip the gravel off in seconds flat.

For those of you who have 8hp or better blowers, you KNOW you haven't felt power until now, these workhorses clean yards at LEAST 6 times faster than the baddest backpack blower, so fast in fact I've considered upgrading to a Large-framed blower however, after cleaning a few yards in one day I must admit I feel every muscle and bone in my body aching from the fun but it is an ache that wants MORE as I can hardly wait for the next day's pleasure.

Were it not for the overall NEGATIVE attitude I encounter consistently concerning leaves (specifically folks think it ought to cost like $10/hour), this job would be 7!7z on a ritz.

ed2hess
09-21-2005, 10:08 PM
We have Billygoat with 13HP Honda and this unit has been a good addition for us. We use it for cleaning up leaves off of commericial parking lot, in addition to one PB650 Echo. Before we got WB we used three big blowers and it took us longer to clean up.

LB1234
09-21-2005, 10:16 PM
(Sorry to the original poster :waving: )

Looks as though I might want to investigate further. I'll probablly get a price on the 13HP LW I saw this afternoon. I bet its over 2 grand. But if it speeds up lead cleanup THAT much then it will help in the long run.

However, for our hourly rate jobs there is no reason to break out the big guns though...I'm still going to use our handhelds... :p

Kelly's Landscaping
09-22-2005, 01:15 AM
I have a sweet one coming for fall I am going off my dealers suggestion he got to test one of these babies this summer they are not out yet but I can not wait. 18 hp hydro self-propelled fradan with a vanguard engine. He is being allotted only 3 of them and has one reserved for me best of its a killer deal at only 2199.00 I will tell you all about it when I get my hands on it.

rob1325
09-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a sweet one coming for fall I am going off my dealers suggestion he got to test one of these babies this summer they are not out yet but I can not wait. 18 hp hydro self-propelled fradan with a vanguard engine. He is being allotted only 3 of them and has one reserved for me best of its a killer deal at only 2199.00 I will tell you all about it when I get my hands on it.

Keep us informed, I love hydro blowers and need another.

LLandscaping
09-22-2005, 09:36 PM
We have a 13 hp Little Wonder. We also bought a Wonder Hitch (our dealer has a patent on it) to mount the blower on the front of our ZTR.