PDA

View Full Version : Run higher octane, squeeze more cutting power out of engine?

South Florida Lawns
09-21-2005, 06:33 PM
If I up the octane from 87 to say 95, do you guys think I will notice a difference in engine performance? I was thinking it might be worth a try, but I don't want to waste money if I wont notice anything. I have 2 Toro Z-Masters 44'' and 19hp Kawi engine's, that bog down a little in thick grass when mulching.

John Gamba
09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
If I up the octane from 87 to say 95, do you guys think I will notice a difference in engine performance? I was thinking it might be worth a try, but I don't want to waste money if I wont notice anything. I have 2 Toro Z-Masters 44'' and 19hp Kawi engine's, that bog down a little in thick grass when mulching.

Give it a shot with about a gallon of the good stuff.

John

mowtech
09-21-2005, 06:48 PM
NO! Higher octane only means the fuel has a higher ignition temperature. It does not contain any more energy. High octane fuel is for high performance engines that have higher compression ratios and/or advanced ignition timing. Some electronic fuel injections systems will automatically advance the timing to the point of detonation to maximize power output. For these engines higher octane will make a difference. If you are not experiencing detonation or if the engine manufacturer does not specify high octane fuel, then you will just totally be wasting your money.

South Florida Lawns
09-21-2005, 06:51 PM
thanks for clearing it up.

Appalachian landscape
09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
topsites says he uses racing fuel

nelbuts
09-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Ask yourself this important question. What does the manufacture recomend? Then use that. Honestly high octane fuel is overated. Consumer Report did a test and came up with that conclusion not me.

br1dge
09-21-2005, 08:22 PM
It si not overrated for engines that can take advasntage of their properties, as explained. Today, small engines do not fall into this category at all. 87 all the way!

LB1234
09-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Twisting the thread a little....sorry to the original poster...

does anyone deal with 'oxygenated' gasoline during the cooler months. Thats what happens in jersey and I've noticed a 1/2-1 mpg less in fuel economy. Not sure if its just me being stupid or the weather or what. Anyone else notice the difference?

lawnmaniac883
09-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I get better fuel economy on my 17hp 44z gravely since I began running 89 octane. Engine seems to have more grunt to it. For an extra 10 cents, go for it and see how you like it. Some premature detonation is not noticed until it isnt there.

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger
09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
My engine had a tendency to keep running and sometimes backfire when I turned it off. I read in a post that it was due to deposits in the cylinder. I started running premium gas and now it operates as it should. Also seems to have a little more rpm but that may just be my imagination.