PDA

View Full Version : What to do with leaves on the walkway and street

Mortymower
09-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey, What do y'all do after you mow in like the spring and summer months where there are little to no leaves and the mower chews them up, but then you have to blow the few leaves on the sidewalk and in the gutter onto the grass, and that perfect green look is gone. You always see these perfect lawns and I never see any big companies bagging the leaves in the gutter and sidewalk??

Steppenwolf
09-21-2005, 11:04 PM
If you have excessive amount of leaves in the street or side walk, blow them into the turf along with all the leaves in the turf already before you cut,then cut the leaves up in any olle pattern you want and then cut your pattern, works for us.

Richard Martin
09-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Like he said, blow before you mow.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-22-2005, 06:29 AM
If you have excessive amount of leaves in the street or side walk, blow them into the turf along with all the leaves in the turf already before you cut,then cut the leaves up in any olle pattern you want and then cut your pattern, works for us.

Same way I do it also.

mcwlandscaping
09-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I do that too!

bobbygedd
09-22-2005, 08:07 AM
blow them, into the middle of the street

John Gamba
09-22-2005, 08:42 AM

I'll second this

Maitland Man
09-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Bagging is extra....if it's alot of leaves and customer says no-no to bagging...they stay there. Price is from property line to propery line. Side to side...front to back. That there area, mam, is the city/county line. Anything I do there is a courtesy.

Dennis

Runner
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
It's funny this thread comes up. I just did this yesterday on a residential. I hadn't been there in a few weeks, and there was quite a bit piled up by the front door and the garage. I was able to just shred them successfully.

Steppenwolf
09-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Well I tried that today,yard looked great,a big truck came by and blew all the leaves and then some back into my turf so I blow them all back out into the middle of the street. So now comes a big garbage truck in a hurry and blows all the leaves back into the yard so this time I expand on Bobbys idea and blow them on the other side of the double yellow line and guess what, a big ole truck came by and blew them in the yard across the street :) State your next case and we will eventually arive at a solution........problem solved.:-)

Mortymower
09-23-2005, 12:09 AM
But as a one man crew it takes a lot more time to have to blow twice.

jbell113
09-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Its too early to try and clean up the leaves especially with the wind blowing them all over. What I do now is blow them out in the street and when Im done drive back by the property as fast as you can and spread em out real good....LOL

topsites
09-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Some the guys laughed at me for showing them what a mulching mower is meant to do, how mulching is done and HOW to dispose of leaves without ever touching them... Well they can laugh ahead but my mower IS a Grand Toro Recycler, so why would someone call it that if it didn't live up to its name?
So what I do is drive in concentric circles, start on the outside with the chute facing IN and close it all the way up piling the leaves in the center. Lessee, I THINK it's clockwise circles from the outside-in WITH the chute facing center of circle then start with as large a circle as you can and just draw the circle tighter and tighter with each pass (don't get too dizzy lol).
Now you can either make several piles and then tarp + rake to the woods or if it's not that many, I just ride over them a few more times until they're gone. Yes, leaves will disappear if you ride over them enough times. Now it may not be the most 'pro' thing to do to just chop up leaves but if you think this early-bird stuff is heavy, wait until late October when they start FALLING in earnest (lol) and hey, it IS about speed now.

Soupy
09-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Yesterday I cut my parents house and didn't realize that there were leaves in back so I cut and then blew. My father called me telling me that if he was a paying customer I would be fired. I explained to him that if he was a paying customer I wouldn't have done that and would have stopped mowing and walked to the truck and grabbed the blower. He figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure I didn't do that on every property.

Bottom line is if you charge a professional price then you should do a professional job. If you are nothing more then a turf chopper and your price reflects this, then continue to provide a sub standard service.

This question can be related to double cutting. A quality service would double cut when needed and a turf chopper would not. The quality service doesn't worry about this because they realize this is sometimes required and their price reflects this.

I'm sorry if I alienated anyone, but the quote below says it all. I hope he was joking.

But as a one man crew it takes a lot more time to have to blow twice.

topsites
09-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Yesterday I cut my parents house and didn't realize that there were leaves in back so I cut and then blew. My father called me telling me that if he was a paying customer I would be fired. I explained to him that if he was a paying customer I wouldn't have done that and would have stopped mowing and walked to the truck and grabbed the blower. He figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure I didn't do that on every property.

Bottom line is if you charge a professional price then you should do a professional job. If you are nothing more then a turf chopper and your price reflects this, then continue to provide a sub standard service.

This question can be related to double cutting. A quality service would double cut when needed and a turf chopper would not. The quality service doesn't worry about this because they realize this is sometimes required and their price reflects this.

I'm sorry if I alienated anyone, but the quote below says it all. I hope he was joking.

To each their own, MY customers are cool with what I do and there are times when I must do what must be done to get the job finished. Ultimately to me it is about providing the BEST service money can buy, so I use the money they pay me and do the BEST I can in the TIME I have. To be blunt, if their money buys an hour's worth of service and it takes an HOUR to blow the leaves off into the beds with the side-discharge on the Wb (yeah I do this, too, because I get to blow them out later when the REAL leaf season starts anyhow) then I'll be d@mned if after an hour of time I'm running back to hook up the striping kit, y'all can go all out for the pro look for all I care but MY customers are happy the early-bird leaves don't cost any extra, see...
but, that's just me, and each one of us provides their own unique service and if quality is priority ONE then that is what you do, to me it's always a compromise of quality vs. speed. It may not be striped but the grass is cut and the leaves are gone, hey, call someone else if this isn't cool.

Soupy
09-23-2005, 03:10 AM
To each their own, MY customers are cool with what I do and there are times when I must do what must be done to get the job finished. Ultimately to me it is about providing the BEST service money can buy, so I use the money they pay me and do the BEST I can in the TIME I have. To be blunt, if their money buys an hour's worth of service and it takes an HOUR to blow the leaves off into the beds with the side-discharge on the Wb (yeah I do this, too, because I get to blow them out later when the REAL leaf season starts anyhow) then I'll be d@mned if after an hour of time I'm running back to hook up the striping kit, y'all can go all out for the pro look for all I care but MY customers are happy the early-bird leaves don't cost any extra, see...
but, that's just me, and each one of us provides their own unique service and if quality is priority ONE then so be it, to me it's a compromise of quality vs. speed. It may not be striped but the grass is cut and the leaves are gone, hey, call someone else if this isn't cool.

I can understand not blowing them out of places that they will remain until the leaf season actually kicks in. But if you know that when you blow the street, sidewalk, and drive off that leaves will blow all over your nicely cut lawn then you should take a few extra minutes to blow them first. I'm not talking one or two leafs. In this case no one will care if you direct them somewhere inconspicuous.

Blowing leaves off the drive, sidewalk and curb isn't going to take much time at all. You can't tell me that you have your price down to the minute for each cut. In other words your not going to get me to believe that you time your service down to the minute and then walk away if the job isn't done. What do you do during heavy growth periods vs low growth periods? You spend exactly the same amount of time each week then something has to give one time or another.

Hey.. If your customers are paying for a chop job then they should get just that. If that is your cliché then so be it. It's a living, but watch out for little Johnny down the street.

Soupy
09-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Ok... I want to apologies to anyone I might have offended. I'm not trying to pick a fight. It's late...

Topsite is correct if you (no one in particular) are providing grass cutting and not selling your company as a quality lawn care service then do what you have to do as long as your customers are happy. Theres nothing wrong with this type of service. I'm not knocking it.. Bobby calls it level "B" service and there is a market for it.

My comments were made that if you want to provide quality then you should blow them first, period. Since the question was asked then I assumed quality was a factor.

Nosmo
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
[QUOTE=Steppenwolf] I expand on Bobbys idea and blow them on the other side of the double yellow line and guess what, a big ole truck came by and blew them in the yard across the street :) State your next case and we will eventually arive at a solution........problem solved

Bobby gets a call about 7:00 PM that evening from that customer who is about to blow a gasket. Why were leaves left all over my yard today ? I thought you always mulched them or something every time !

Bobby didn't know the neighbor across the street was watching what went on. As soon as Bobby loaded up and left the neighbor went to his garage , got out his new toy, and began blowing leaves back where they came from.

Nosmo :p

scrub-a-dub-dub
09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Yesterday I cut my parents house and didn't realize that there were leaves in back so I cut and then blew. My father called me telling me that if he was a paying customer I would be fired.

i'd fire that PITA.

-scrub

lawnguyland
09-23-2005, 04:54 PM
I also side discharge into beds if I can get away with it, blow first, use concentric circles, and blow them into the middle of the street. Sometimes I bag them. All depends on the customer and what I can get away with at the time.

Use my patented HATS Method:

Hide
All
The
Sheeeet! :waving:

Turfdude
09-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Only scrubs blow leaves, grass clippings and/or other debris into the middle of the atreet. Not only is it unprofessional, but there is no way in he!! that you'll be gaining anymore business in that neighborhood. There has been many a time when I've had to politely or not so politely tell another LCO to not blow crap from his account in front of one of my clients' properties. If you're looking toi grow your business, then do a first class job and you'll see the scrubs either disappear, or clean-up their act. Case in point, yesterday, I saw a competitor's operation first hand. A p/u pulls up out steps one guy w/ a trimmer. He procededs to edge & trim w/ trimmer. Half way thru, a guy pulls up w/ a 48" bunton rider (no catcher) and blows leaves into beds, driveway and curb strip area. They're both gone and p/u w/ trailer 2 guys & 2 w.b's show up, mow curb, blow leaves into street. Now this is a small corner lot approx 75'X150'. Guy should have at this point raked leaves into pile & leaned barrel on side & packed them in & hauled them (10 mins tops). But NOOOO. Guy on 7001 b.p blower for 25 mins, then scoop w/ 2 32 gal cans for another 10 mins. I know if we weren't there, leaves would have been in front of our clients house. Needless to say, their curbline still had an appreciable amount of leaves in it & ours was clean from the day b4 cut. We were there renovating & aerating. All I can say is it takes all kinds.

Steppenwolf
09-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Hopefully you realize my reply was in jest and just playing off of Bobbys relpy. Neither he or I would do that in real life. Read the second post.

Kholder
09-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I cant believe this is a professional lawnsite, I 've read keep mulching them and blow them in the street. For one, constant mulching leaves will eventually kill the yard. So then you have to try to get up millions of fragments during leaf season(WOW) thats the smartest thing ever. The other is blow them in the street HMM, it is illegal to do this, a police officer can site you for littering. Has any every heard of Walkers (vaccum deck mowers) annual agreements with leaf removal included so you have already figured leaf removal into charge on weekly basis. Don't want to forget about blowing them into the flower beds, another (WOW). You guys have alot to learn about this industry.

RedWingsDet
09-23-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a customer with an ash tree, and like 75% of the other ash trees, its dying. All summer long it had a bunch of leaves on the lawn, and the front lawn is only like 2k square feet. so I just cut it all, and then used the blower at the end and blew everything to the grass on the curb. so basically, the curb grass had leaves on it, and the main front lawn was clean as a whistle. however with fall coming up, alot of my customers have trees all around, thus they'll get the fall cleanup ordeal, which means $$$$

Steppenwolf
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Kholder,chill out. The blowing in the street thing was just a joke,re read the posts.

Kholder
09-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Kholder,chill out. The blowing in the street thing was just a joke,re read the posts.

The sad thing is I see this on a daily basis from so called lawn professionals

lawnprosteveo
09-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Blow and mow is the way to go!