PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet ztrs

S man
09-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Has anybody used a cub cadet tank? My friend said they are solid and I've been looking at them. Pros and cons?

wriken
09-22-2005, 08:31 AM
There some of the best zt mowers on the market. :)

MBDiagMan
09-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Most of the tanks are very well built machines. Beware though, the cheapest of the line, the M50 model is a residential unit in Tank clothing. It has the same engine, integrated drives and deck as their residential Z-Force unit.

The new ZWing 48 mower is a hybrid with a fold up deck and the deck design has not yet been worked out, don't buy one until next year.

All the other tanks which include the M48, M52, M60 and M72 appear to be good units, with fabricated decks and an impressive individual pump and wheel motor assembly that can be swapped as a unit. The engine choices are also very good.

Be sure you get a better CC dealer than I did. I ended up baling out of my CC, not so much because of the unit as the dealer.

Good luck,
Doc

S man
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah they do seem built. It's funny that mtd can make such good mowers. I still don't know where I'm going to live and I might move being in the katrina disaster.

waffletown20
09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
The only complaint I've heard was the quality of cut wasn't good. A demo would be the way to find out if you like it or not.

wriken
09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Here's some cub stripes
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=69972

bondman35a
09-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Same as lesco z two, Get a lesco and save a few bucks. I love my z two, IMO you cant go wrong with cc/lesco

N.H.BOY
09-22-2005, 08:59 PM
I've got a Tank 52 and it's built solid. had it for almost two years now and nothing at all for problems. Do only about 20-25 yards a week. Hard to get blades for it. As others had said find a good dealer because the one I have sucks. Went to another dealer 1 hour away. I would get another one if a good dealer was closer.Solid ZTR's for sure. The "wing" looks like a good idea, but let it weed out the pros and cons first few years. Mine has got the armrest and kaw engine. LOVE IT

wriken
09-22-2005, 09:27 PM
I've got a Tank 52 and it's built solid. had it for almost two years now and nothing at all for problems. Do only about 20-25 yards a week. Hard to get blades for it. As others had said find a good dealer because the one I have sucks. Went to another dealer 1 hour away. I would get another one if a good dealer was closer.Solid ZTR's for sure. The "wing" looks like a good idea, but let it weed out the pros and cons first few years. Mine has got the armrest and kaw engine. LOVE IT

Here's where I get my blades for the 60's I have. Do you have the 3/4" center hole.

N.H.BOY
09-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Here's where I get my blades for the 60's I have. Do you have the 3/4" center hole.

Huh yea, but I dont see where you get your blades? From a web site?

wriken
09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
here ya go

http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/194.htm

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Yup, great mowers.

Wriken,

What blades do you use to chop leaves? I have the OEM wavy mulching blades, but I am not satisfied.... even with the full mulch kit installed. I can get OEM Gator MAGNUM blades... or I can check with J-Thomas or Stens...

wriken
09-23-2005, 11:51 PM
Yup, great mowers.

Wriken,

What blades do you use to chop leaves? I have the OEM wavy mulching blades, but I am not satisfied.... even with the full mulch kit installed. I can get OEM Gator MAGNUM blades... or I can check with J-Thomas or Stens...

I've had good luck with the wavy ones, also the gator blades. I'm putting my mulch baffles on the old 60" this sunday.

Envy Lawn Service
09-24-2005, 12:19 AM
I've had good luck with the wavy ones, also the gator blades. I'm putting my mulch baffles on the old 60" this sunday.

Not much luck here with the OEM wavy. I mean they work, but it's a 2 pass minimum even in light leaves even with the kit on. We are just experiencing a drought leaf drop right now. Been too wet 3 years straight, now no rain this month and they are coming off. Could be the leaves and not the mower possibly.

But I'll try either the Gator Magnum or Stens Raptor or other Stens blades sometime soon... if Stens makes a blade for them. The 3/4 center hole and the offset make them a little harder to find a lot of blades for them.

Oh, when you put the kit back on, ditch the OEM nuts. Go to the hardware and get some regular plain old nuts that are coated like the OEM and some lockwashers instead. This makes it soooo much easier to take on and off and the cost is next to nothing.

wriken
09-24-2005, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=Envy Lawn Service]
But I'll try either the Gator Magnum or Stens Raptor or other Stens blades sometime soon... if Stens makes a blade for them. The 3/4 center hole and the offset make them a little harder to find a lot of blades for them.
QUOTE]

I buy scag blades for my 72", from jthomas, have the center drilled out at a local machine shop, and its still about 1/2 of the dealers price. Even after the cost of blade, drilling, and shipping. I'm not quite sure, but I believe the last time I bought a 72" blade at the dealer was 21-22 dollars each, vs 8 something from thomas.
Before jthomas sold the 60's blades with 3/4" center, I would even buy a straight blade, there was one blade I did get that had the offset, but anyways I would drill the center and still be cheaper. Also when I used the straight blade I just adjusted accordinly by the deck adjustment. Straight blade you would be cutting about 1/4 hi.

touhey33
02-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Are you buying the Lesco blades for the Cub Cadet Tank, I have a 48" tank, and would like to buy from them.

S man
02-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Are you buying the Lesco blades for the Cub Cadet Tank, I have a 48" tank, and would like to buy from them.

Same machine. Different paint.

touhey33
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Also the blades I have for the Tank are 17" long, and these are only 16 and a half inches long. Is this ok.

Piscitelli Landscape
02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I had a cub m60 about two years ago I loved them Im going back into grass from being out of it for a year or so and went striaght to cub cadet. my only problem is now i dont know if i should buy a scag or cub because one of my dealers gave me a great price on scags and i have always heard they are great, or to go with what i know which is the Cub.

But the cubs were great for me the left a awesome stripe and a clean cut and fast in wet or dry just take care of it like u should anyway keep the deck clean. the price where i am is really good to. any question feel free to ask.

Envy Lawn Service
02-07-2006, 11:03 PM

Yup, same machine, different paint.

Yes I have been buying my blades through Lesco.
Just order the ones for the 48" Z-Two.
I have the part #'s if you need them.

burns60
02-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Used a z force my first year in business. Had no idea I would get so much work. Had to step up the next year and almost bought the Tank. The mechanic said they were a great machine, but they would nearly always have the Exmark part in stock where they would probably have to order the Tank part. So I went with the Exmark.

But back to the Z Force... it has been a good little machine, and I still use it. Haven't been able to buy after market blades, but other than that it served its purpose well.

I know that MTD makes the residential Cubs and also the Z Force. Does anyone know if they have a commercial division dedicated to the Tanks? These mowers look like higher quality for sure, but I don't really believe they are in the same class with Scag.

Envy Lawn Service
02-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Yes they do... it's called 'Cub don't build them'..... LOL!!!

ProStreetCamaro
02-08-2006, 01:36 AM
The only complaint I've heard was the quality of cut wasn't good. A demo would be the way to find out if you like it or not.

Last year when I went to visit my gf up in PA I watched the crew cut her development. They had 2 brand new tanks both with the rear bagging system. The grass was very green and thick and I was highly impressed with the cut they produced. Very nice stripes and very clean cut.

BCFLawnLandscape
02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
We purchased the ZWing 48 with the fold up deck on it. After a few kinks and another few trips to the dealer we got the problem solved, and Cub Cadet called us personally to see what could be done to fix the problem We have had no problems since. The Tanks leave unbelievable stripes, probably some of the better striping mowers in the biz. I'm sold on Cub and will not buy anything else! Unless its a steal! HAHA!

burns60
02-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Yes they do... it's called 'Cub don't build them'..... LOL!!!

LOL............so, "who do?"

Bulldog26
02-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I purchased the m48 last year and it is a nice machine. The only problem I have had is with one stick linkage, thier is some slop in the linkage and have had some trouble fixing it. Anyone else had this problem? It has caused a loss of power to one wheel.
Second, being new to the bus. I bought the 48/19hp Kaw. If I had it to do over again I would bump up to the 23/25 kaw.

ProStreetCamaro
02-08-2006, 11:56 AM
LOL............so, "who do?"

MTD builds them.

Envy Lawn Service
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
MTD builds them.

Ummm... nope, wrong answer.

Like many many things in the outdoor power equipment industry, MTD does indeed have an interest in these. Lesco does also. But neither of the MTD, Lesco or Cub Cadet build these mowers.

Instead, a little known company called Commercial Turf Products Ltd builds these mowers.

touhey33
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Yup, same machine, different paint.

Yes I have been buying my blades through Lesco.
Just order the ones for the 48" Z-Two.
I have the part #'s if you need them.

Yea, I would like the part numbers if its no problem. Is it ok that the blades are only 16 and a half inches long. I know that the ones I have now are 17" long.

burns60
02-09-2006, 01:52 AM

Like many many things in the outdoor power equipment industry, MTD does indeed have an interest in these. Lesco does also. But neither of the MTD, Lesco or Cub Cadet build these mowers.

Instead, a little known company called Commercial Turf Products Ltd builds these mowers.

Thanks........I just did not think that MTD was putting out something of this caliber.

Envy Lawn Service
02-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Yea, I would like the part numbers if its no problem. Is it ok that the blades are only 16 and a half inches long. I know that the ones I have now are 17" long.

STD Hi-Lift 17" > part #705336 $14.28 each
These are worth every penny.
They are a 3" wide highlift made of thick Marbane® steel.
They stay sharp forever and last forever.

Gator Magnum 17" > part #706320 $14.16 each
Also worth the money.
These are the heavy duty thick blades.
They are a little harder and don't wear the teeth off fast.
Good side discharge and good with the mulch kit

Wavy Mulching 17" > part #705379 $14.55 each
Good side discharge and good with the mulch kit

Fully baffled mulch kit > part #705274 $82.95
Includes:
Ready to install baffles, all mounting hardware and a set of the mulching blades.
So basically the mulch kit only costs $39.30 and the rest is the cost of blades.
Dirt cheap compared to the arm and a leg other brands want for the baffles.

As for the 16.5" blades, yes they will work and probably without even missing because these mowers have a 1.5" blade overlap in between. So you'll still have .75" overlap with the shorter blades, which is STILL more than most mowers have.

But I am not sure how they will perform and I doubt they will even bolt on because the center hole must be larger. 3/4" instead of the 5/8" or 1/2" center holes most use. But if they do, they may work fine and then again they may work weird because the cutting chambers are designed for longer blades. That's a trial and error thing.

Personally, I'd like to get some sort of fancy precision drill press so that I could properly bore any smaller center hole out to 3/4" to fit mine. Then the blade choices would not be so limited for ME PERSONALLY because I have the 60" cut, which uses a standard 21" blade length. Some blades for other brands of 61" mowers would fit mine.

toac
02-20-2006, 03:29 PM
i got an ad in the mail a couple of days ago that was advertising a 42" cub cadet ZTR for 2699.99. i don't have the specs, but does that sound like a good deal?

nmurph
02-20-2006, 03:57 PM
MTD-------run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2006, 04:18 PM
MTD-------run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted that earlier in this thread.

Envy Lawn Service
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM
i got an ad in the mail a couple of days ago that was advertising a 42" cub cadet ZTR for 2699.99. i don't have the specs, but does that sound like a good deal?

Unless it's something I don't know about, that is not a Commercial unit.
Sounds like the ones they sell at Lowes/Tractor Supply/Ect.

Now, with that said, I don't know what you would be better off with overall for $2,699.

You really have to spend around a starting price of 5-6K to begin to get much of a commercial grade unit.

toac
02-20-2006, 04:39 PM
thanks for the reply

nmurph
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
from the Lesco site:
LESCO also joined with MTD Products to establish Commercial Turf Products, Ltd., further expanding the Company’s equipment manufacturing ability.

It sounds like Lesco purchased MTD for their manufacturing capability. Commercial Turd Products is just another name for MTD made equipment. maybe they Lesco is trying to hide the pedigree of their products.

for about $3300 you can purchase a Hustler Mini Fasttrak. it may not have commercial grade hydraulics, but everything else is commercial. they even offer a commercial warranty. it is an excellent machine for the average homeowner or for limited use in the gated backyards. they are a heck of a lot better machine than the MTD's at Lowes/HD/TSC. better motor, better warranty, better ergonomics, better factory support.

Carl White
02-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Not impressed with the unit !! Drive is WEak !!! Check out a ferris

S man
02-22-2006, 01:27 AM
from the Lesco site:
LESCO also joined with MTD Products to establish Commercial Turf Products, Ltd., further expanding the Company’s equipment manufacturing ability.

It sounds like Lesco purchased MTD for their manufacturing capability. Commercial Turd Products is just another name for MTD made equipment. maybe they Lesco is trying to hide the pedigree of their products.

for about $3300 you can purchase a Hustler Mini Fasttrak. it may not have commercial grade hydraulics, but everything else is commercial. they even offer a commercial warranty. it is an excellent machine for the average homeowner or for limited use in the gated backyards. they are a heck of a lot better machine than the MTD's at Lowes/HD/TSC. better motor, better warranty, better ergonomics, better factory support.

I've seen the mini fast track. Homeowner all the way.

Envy Lawn Service
02-22-2006, 01:48 AM
from the Lesco site:

The Lesco/MTD/Commercial Turf Products trio ONLY has to do with the COMMERCIAL products, not the homeowner stuff.

No Lesco doesn't have the kind of money or resources it would take to buy MTD. I think Lesco partnered with MTD in order for both of them to have combined interest in a 3rd party MFG of commercial equipment located in Ohio.

The 42" homeowner machine would have no connection with this. It is built over at Cub Cadet or MTD, not at Commercial Turf Products.

But yes I do believe the Hustler homeowner stuff is FAR superior in build quality and yes I would go the extra to pay $3,300 for it over the Cub 42" any day. Gravely has a similar type line that is even a little better. So does eXmark. But it comes with a premium.

nmurph
02-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I've seen the mini fast track. Homeowner all the way.
what is "homeowner" besides the hydraulics??????

btw, do you use the ariens sp 21"'s? i thinki see one in you avitar.

Brendan Smith
02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
i demo'ed a tank 60 this week, loved it. still probably going with exmark though, personal issue with dealer.

MrFikit
02-22-2006, 01:07 PM
The Lesco/MTD/Commercial Turf Products trio ONLY has to do with the COMMERCIAL products, not the homeowner stuff.

No Lesco doesn't have the kind of money or resources it would take to buy MTD. I think Lesco partnered with MTD in order for both of them to have combined interest in a 3rd party MFG of commercial equipment located in Ohio.

The 42" homeowner machine would have no connection with this. It is built over at Cub Cadet or MTD, not at Commercial Turf Products.

But yes I do believe the Hustler homeowner stuff is FAR superior in build quality and yes I would go the extra to pay $3,300 for it over the Cub 42" any day. Gravely has a similar type line that is even a little better. So does eXmark. But it comes with a premium.

You must be talking about the RZT which is made in one of many MTD plants. It does have a 42" deck and was designed for the homeowner. The Z-Force was engineered and is built here at CTP. CTP is owned by MTD only and has its own engineering, purchasing, accounting, quaility, etc. that any other company would have. The people at CTP work extremely hard to put out a good product (for MTD as well as LESCO).

Envy Lawn Service
02-22-2006, 01:43 PM
You must be talking about the RZT which is made in one of many MTD plants. It does have a 42" deck and was designed for the homeowner. The Z-Force was engineered and is built here at CTP. CTP is owned by MTD only and has its own engineering, purchasing, accounting, quaility, etc. that any other company would have. The people at CTP work extremely hard to put out a good product (for MTD as well as LESCO).

Well yeah, this other guy came in and posted...

And so the discussion changed over to that.

Basically you said what I said about that particular 42"... not a CTP product.
You also covered the other point I was trying to make about the MTD-CTP connection.
CTP is it's own separate company.

However, I have heard no such info about CTP being wholey and soley owned by MTD.
According to the information I was given, both MTD and Lesco have an interest in CTP.

CHRIS MELROSE
02-22-2006, 01:49 PM
We purchased the ZWing 48 with the fold up deck on it. After a few kinks and another few trips to the dealer we got the problem solved, and Cub Cadet called us personally to see what could be done to fix the problem We have had no problems since. The Tanks leave unbelievable stripes, probably some of the better striping mowers in the biz. I'm sold on Cub and will not buy anything else! Unless its a steal! HAHA!

I've always heard they had good factory support.

S man
02-23-2006, 11:25 PM
what is "homeowner" besides the hydraulics??????

btw, do you use the ariens sp 21"'s? i thinki see one in you avitar.

Well I use snappers right now. I might switch to ariens this year. I like the snappers over toro because of the lower price and the way it operates. I used 21" prolines before and didn't like them. I wouldn't get any other 21" than snapper or ariens. I don't like honda or toro. And a lot of the others( Mtd, Murray, Craftsman) are not worth it. I've had murray and mtd. The mtd got me started though. The snappers are pretty good but I'm going to see how the ariens are.

nmurph
02-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Well yeah, this other guy came in and posted...

And so the discussion changed over to that.

Basically you said what I said about that particular 42"... not a CTP product.
You also covered the other point I was trying to make about the MTD-CTP connection.
CTP is it's own separate company.

However, I have heard no such info about CTP being wholey and soley owned by MTD.
According to the information I was given, both MTD and Lesco have an interest in CTP.
according to some info from a business research website, ctp is a 50/50 joint venture.

MrFikit
02-28-2006, 01:21 PM
according to some info from a business research website, ctp is a 50/50 joint venture.
CTP was a joint venture up to two or three years ago when their five-year commitment was up, then they decided to just have MTD buy-out their half and manufacture for them.