PDA

View Full Version : new brakes on truck

fcl01
09-22-2005, 09:08 AM
just put new brakes on a super-duty recently. (dont wanna pay for that again) WoW!!!!! i was always skeptical on how much of a difference ceramic brakes and performance rotors made on a truck. not anymore!!!!
even though i hated handing over just under a grand to the place that did it for me, I will never settle for just any brakes ever again!

i cant believe that a big truck can stop like that. i do know that the ford factory brakes, at least on this truck and previous trucks i've had, dont hold a candle to these things.

maybe im just easily impressed. LOL!!!!! :waving:

UNISCAPER
09-24-2005, 06:47 PM
As well as you like the ceramic brakes, they won't hold nearly as well as good old asbestos lined brakes. Unfortunately, the enviironmental whackos stopped that.....

PLM-1
09-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Diskbreaks are as easy as they come to do yourself. You can usually do it yourself for less than half the cost and about 30-45 minutes. On my Jeep, I put ceramic pad and Brembo rotors....awesome combo! www.tirerack.com

Restrorob
09-24-2005, 08:31 PM
www.tirerack.com

Man thats a super site, Really informative I was thinking about a brake and tire upgrade on my Chevy show truck. Thanks for the link :D

topsites
09-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Diskbreaks are as easy as they come to do yourself. You can usually do it yourself for less than half the cost and about 30-45 minutes. On my Jeep, I put ceramic pad and Brembo rotors....awesome combo! www.tirerack.com

Sheeeat, I paid 17 dollars for front brake pads on my D-250, couple hours to put them on myself...
If you drive it like it's a train (i.e.: MINIMUM FOUR second distance from car in front, slow down waaays ahead, etc), I can't see why you'd need any more performance than something that will lock up all 4 wheels regardless...

PLM-1
09-27-2005, 04:38 AM
Some applications require you to remove the hub. None of mine do that i have changed out pads on. For me, the longest thing to do is drag out all the tools and wait for the air compressor.

1. Jack up truck
2. Remove wheel
3. Remove caliper
4. Unsnap pads
5. Install new pads
6. Reinstall caliper
7. Reinstall wheel

If applicable, install new disk between removing the caliper and reinstalling.

Guthrie&Co
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
ceramics are bad juju for the rotors. what happens is the pad is harder than the rotor thus wearing the rotor out. i went with performace friction carbon metallics. i like em but i need to change the rotors over and get some new fluid.

lawnmaniac883
09-28-2005, 06:53 PM
The solution for rotors wearing out is to buy performance rotors designed to wear properly using ceramics.