PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Issues

JCee
09-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey guys...thanks for all your replies to my posts...

If you remember I had some questions regarding my 36inch Lesco Fixed Deck WB that I just got. (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=119070). The mower will not cut as low as stated.
Well like I said the absolute lowest that I can get the front of the mower is 3inches. That is absolute!!! The manuel states that the absolute lowest the machine will cut is 2inches. (Aware of all three adjustments). And my deck is nearly flat, with only a slight increase in height in the back.
Called lesco at the corporate office and they offered me this....The back tires that were put on the new 36 inch are an inch bigger then that of last year. So the man told me to take the mower into my service shop to have the tires changed. Instantly I was happy...problem fixed...but wait....
If I take an inch off the back wheels the back of the mower will be lower then the front. Now the back of the mower would be doing the cutting which is wrong and against Lesco standards. I addressed this to the man and he said to lower the blade 1/4 inch. Again this still doesnt lower the front to cut how lesco wants you to.
After some further talk with the rep he states that the manual which says that the mower can mow from 2"-4" is actually a misprint and it only will go down to 2.5" max. (Nice of lesco to let you know this when you buy the mower). The rep stated that the manual was printed by an outside company so lesco has no control.
So we left it at that I will take the mower back into the dealer and see what he says....which is to call the corporate office which they told me in the beginning. Meanwhile I am stuck because I cant cut my lawns with my brand new mower. Sorry for the long post but I'm curious as to what you guys think.
Corporate lesco also said it may be a welding problem or something put together wrong. I can't wait to see how long this will take. Arghhh....

geogunn
09-22-2005, 12:05 PM
have you removed all of the wheel spacers from beneath the frame on the caster?

and have you pulled all your blade spacers from below the blade and put them above the blade?

there are bolt holes for lowering the deck to the frame. have you done this?

if yes to all this and it still doesn't satisfy you, I dunno what to do.

personally, I think you are nuts for wanting a 2 inch cut but I am not walking in your moccasins so my opinion don't mean squat.

but good luck and keep us informed.

GEO

Runner
09-22-2005, 12:16 PM
That's what I was going to ask about...where you are at, why would you ever be cutting grass so low?

Maitland Man
09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
the caster spacers would even the front out to the back to make it level....I'm sure.

Dennis

MTR
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
At 2 " the mower will rip up sprinkler head/stem, sewer cap, scalp like hell, shave turf roots beyond repair. Don't forget mower will bog down at least another 1/4 to 1/2 " once sitting on grass. You do 2" with different type of mower, not WB or rider. Your insurance rate and claims will be untolerable and you out of business.

TClawn
09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
the answer to "why is he cutting so low" might be this: the height adjustment on fixed decks is not the same as on larger mowers, in fact, 2" on my quick 36, is 3" on the exmark. 2.5" on the quick, is 3.5" on the exmark, etc.

bondman35a
09-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah Why are you cutting so low in New York? I would check where your deck is bolted to the frame, and then go from there. I can get my 52 fixed deck down to 2.5 and that is just messing with the front caster spacers.

JCee
09-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I wrote this post once and it froze when I finished but let me try again

Its not that I necessarily want to cut at 2 inches. Its more that if the manual says it should, I think It should. I dont want to have my brand new machine running at absolute minimum just to get an acceptable cut.
Like I said at a 1:1 ratio, my blades are always 1/2-5/8 higher then the Lesco manual says.
Here is a picture below of my lawn freshly cut. This is at 1 spacer below, 3 above at the front wheels, 4 spacers below 1 above at the blade, and the deck on the lower holes. I do not think that this is acceptable but you opinions are appreciate.
Again my lawn is fairly nice, and I have to cut it higher than other not so well kept lawns to give the same look. IOW Crappier lawns always have to be cut shorter around me or they look very unkept after being cut.. So this is the best possible scenario for a good looking cut.
Also after this picture I lowered the deck on the holes (higher holes) and while it did lower the cut some, it did not clear the problem.
Let me know what you think thanks

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 01:53 PM
You have your deck set too low and the blade set too high in the deck.

Bring the blade down in the deck... as far as possible or close to it... adjust to sweet spot for cut quality.

Then you will have to raise the deck some.

Mike Fronczak
09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't understand your concern. I see your point about the 2"-4" thing. I have run Lesco Equip for 10 years now. We never touch the front casters (1 spacer below to act as a bushing), the blade spacers we adjust as time of year dictates but in NY you shouldn't need to cut lower than with all the spacers below the deck. Good Luck.

Precision
09-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I don't deal with the same type of grass as you do, but here, when a lawn is crap you can get what looks like a better cut when you cut short, but you never allow the lawn to overcome this by cutting it too low. The grass can never get the upperhand because its photosynthesis zone is always being cut off. No energy to fight the weeds.

I wrote this post once and it froze when I finished but let me try again

Its not that I necessarily want to cut at 2 inches. Its more that if the manual says it should, I think It should. I dont want to have my brand new machine running at absolute minimum just to get an acceptable cut.
Like I said at a 1:1 ratio, my blades are always 1/2-5/8 higher then the Lesco manual says.
Here is a picture below of my lawn freshly cut. This is at 1 spacer below, 3 above at the front wheels, 4 spacers below 1 above at the blade, and the deck on the lower holes. I do not think that this is acceptable but you opinions are appreciate.
Again my lawn is fairly nice, and I have to cut it higher than other not so well kept lawns to give the same look. IOW Crappier lawns always have to be cut shorter around me or they look very unkept after being cut.. So this is the best possible scenario for a good looking cut.
Also after this picture I lowered the deck on the holes (higher holes) and while it did lower the cut some, it did not clear the problem.
Let me know what you think thanks

Albemarle Lawn
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
They simply don't have adequate power equipment service/support at the local level. I can't for the life of me understand why Lesco won't stick to its core business of fertilizer/supplies.

Why are they even in the competitive equipment segment? They have to be cheap on power equipment to get people to buy, so profit margins must be bleak. Bad for the customer, bad for Lesco.

I had a spreader with a defective wheel. Took it in to Richmond Va for warranty, never heard back. Called on 2 separate occations asking for resolution, was given the run-around and put off by manager "Bruce"

Never heard back or got back my parts. I ate $57 plus gas and downtime on a cheap plastic wheel that failed upon normal use.

Precision
09-26-2005, 05:20 PM
They simply don't have adequate power equipment service/support at the local level. I can't for the life of me understand why Lesco won't stick to its core business of fertilizer/supplies.

Why are they even in the competitive equipment segment? They have to be cheap on power equipment to get people to buy, so profit margins must be bleak. Bad for the customer, bad for Lesco.

I had a spreader with a defective wheel. Took it in to Richmond Va for warranty, never heard back. Called on 2 separate occations asking for resolution, was given the run-around and put off by manager "Bruce"

Never heard back or got back my parts. I ate $57 plus gas and downtime on a cheap plastic wheel that failed upon normal use.

my spreader broke its agitator on monday went and got a new one on Thursday (free from a spreader on the floor) On Friday the Broadcast device died. Went back and got that fixed on Monday. Again no charge. The manager said they have been having batches that have those parts as faulty. Function of lowest bidder purchasing.

Sucks that twice in a week I had an issue but both times I was in and out with a fix.

And I am anything but a power user with the spreader. I think I do fert on 15 yards. Now I am subbing that out, so no worries just doing my own now.

biglawndog
09-26-2005, 05:45 PM
JCee,
I used to cut a model airplane runway and I cut it at 1 inch. First I would take out all the front wheel washers, then I would put as many spacers as the bolt would allow on top of the blades. The trick is that since one of the blades is farther forward than the other it will cut a little shorter than the other one since the deck is angled so far downward. You have to compensate by using the large washer that is usually on the bottom of the forward blade and putting it on top of the other blade and they should cut at the same height. Scott

geogunn
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
JCee--I think you should quit worrying about what the manual says and adjust the unit for what you need in you mowing operation.

here is what to do. first, set the rear back into the upper bolt holes, and leave it.

second, set the blade spacers half above and half below. this keeps the blade from being exposed too far below the deck.

third, make adjustments with front spacers with minimum being one spacer below the caster arm.

that said: there is one other thing you must check and be certain of. it is the belt tension. if the belts aren't tensioned properly it isn't going to cut properly. PERIOD.

add a set of high lift blades sharpened every day, and I say there is no way you could be unhappy with that machine!

GEO :)

JCee
09-28-2005, 03:00 AM
Your right in a sense about the manual....all I want it to do is cut right. I am close to a decent cut now with the unit bolted to the upper holes.
But I am at the lowest settings at every other adjustment. The only thing I can do now, which lesco actually suggested is get a washer to use at the front wheels instead of a half inch spacer to get the front lower...
How do you check the belt tension? What am I looking for with that? Ill read the manual when I get a chance but any help is appreciated