PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding / Slit Seeding Question ?

Mower For Less
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Alright, I got a BillyGoat Overseeder. Practiced with it on my front yard, and seem to have the hang of the machine now. My question is about what to do now. When I do this to a customers yard:

1. Do I leave the thatch it kicks up, or pick it up.
a. If you answer pick it up, is this a problem with the new seed (running over with mower?)
b. If you answered leave it, do you tell the customer it will decompose with normal mowing and tell them to leave it, or tell them to bag it at the next mowing?

2. How long should I tell the customer to wait before mowing the lawn (reguler overseeded lawn, not bare patches) ?

And, when you do a slit seeding job, do you mow the lawn first as part of your bid, do you ask the customer to mow it short, or do you just do it if it needs it for an additional charge?

Thanks for the advice!
Kevin

Mower For Less
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Or, do you not mow the yard at all regardless?

Runner
09-23-2005, 08:44 AM
It is best if the lawn is cut a bit shorter - better seed penetration. We usually just leave the grass lay on top. It should be watered before it is mowed to ensure all the seed is rinsed down into the soil.

Mower For Less
09-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Do you suggest the customer mulches when they mow, or bag?

Mower For Less
09-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Alright, nobody else? I'll assume everybody leaves the thatch lay. Any worrys about choking out good grass or keeping new seeds from germinating by leaving it on the lawn?

How about subsequent cuts, bag, mulch, or indifferent?

Also, who includes cutting as part of the overseeding job, who charges extra to do it, and who dosent do it?

Surely there has to be more responses than just Runner's!

Thanks!
Kevin

TURF DOCTOR
09-26-2005, 12:13 AM
We mow before, if it is bare spots go deep, water heavy, what to charge it is up to you buy good seed.Leave the thatch, bare spots were the sun hits hard i have put down straw we have been in a drought.There yard will look like crap when you are finished.

Mower For Less
09-26-2005, 02:35 AM
We mow before, if it is bare spots go deep, water heavy, what to charge it is up to you buy good seed.Leave the thatch, bare spots were the sun hits hard i have put down straw we have been in a drought.There yard will look like crap when you are finished.

Thank you for the additional response. I am not concerned about pricing, I can figure out my own price, I just want to know what is customary in the industry as far as what is provided and what should be expected.

Anybody else care to chime in on doing it any different?

Thanks,
Kevin