PDA

View Full Version : Cypress question???

wrtenterprises
03-17-2001, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have any words of wisdom about dwarf cypress.
The varieties I need help on are; Threadleaf Filifera, Boulavard, and Nana Gracilis.

i.e. How do they hold up in cold Pa. winds?
They seem to be brittle, is this true?
Do they shear well?
Ballpark on cost?

Anything would be a great help. No one seems to use them much here in Central Pa. and I have a customer requirement on my desk now for 15 dwarf trees.

Thanks in advance,

W R Thompson

John Deere
03-18-2001, 01:03 PM
No one seems to know much about your plants as nor do
I, but if all else fails you should talk to your local extension agency that should also have a horticulturist. Also make sure and check your zones. If those plants are zoned for you area then they should be alright. If you already know that they are delicate then maybe make a different suggestion to the owner.

bob
03-18-2001, 05:23 PM
Ask these guys, http://www.arboristsite.com/

John Allin
03-18-2001, 05:36 PM
We use filifera up here in NW PA. Seems to do fine, and we get alot of snow - although the temps here are moderated by the proximity of Lake Erie. Not a lot of real cold (single digit) temps. Shearing has not presented a problem either. While I don't pay a LOT of attention to replacement orders, I can tell you that it isn't a plant that I remember having to order onesy's and twosy's of (which would be an indicator - to me - that they are 'replacements').

As for cost... can't say for sure, although Imperial Nurseries handles it as does Lake County Nursery in Eastern Ohio.

Hope this helps some.

Lanelle
03-18-2001, 05:37 PM
Shearing is detrimental to the looks of most of the cypress you mention. The boulevard can be sheared and topiary trained but a more natural look is preferable.

Robert Jones
03-21-2001, 08:38 AM
The three false cypress you mentioned work well in the northern climate, especially the thread type cypress.
Tip pruning is the best pruning method for the thread and gracilis types. Shearing works but can be tough with the Boulevard or Sawara types due to their fine foliage. When you do cut they need to be dry and they shear better if they don't get too leggy between cuts. Shearing or some type of pruning is a must with the Boulevard variety because with out it they can become large open ugly trees! Also, I have had deer browse on the Nana Gracilis and Filifera cultivars, but to date, not on the Boulevard. Good Luck.