PDA

View Full Version : Workers "too good"?

jtrice11
09-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Any of you guys have workers that are better than you are at mowing, trimming etc...?

gman44
09-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Nope , they learn from me. Im fussy and expect the best. My own yard is my best advertisement . Some people pick up certain jobs and feel comfortable while others I have employed are never going to get it right .

PROCUT1
09-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Most of them......... Its their job to be good at it and my job to get them the work to do.......... I love it when I have guys just as good and better than me then I dont have to worry about sending them to any property

pjslawncare/landscap
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Yea, rite. I wish!
No seriously, my guys are pritty good, but not as good or better than I.

Avery
09-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Most of them......... Its their job to be good at it and my job to get them the work to do.......... I love it when I have guys just as good and better than me then I dont have to worry about sending them to any property

Exactly. A smart business mans trys to hire people that are smarter/better at the job than he is.

Jpocket
09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Boy I wish...thats exactly what im looking for sombody I don't have to babysit.

dmc456
09-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, I have one who picked up the ZTR in about 2 hours and trimming in and hour. He is only 16 and really racks up the hours. He put over 150 hrs (engine time) one of my ZTR this summer. Now, he is better or quicker than I am on it. I have yet to find anyone who can trim a good and quite as me, but I'm still looking....actually I have on who is getting close, but he can't keep up with me all day. Mabe it could be because he makes $12/hr when working and I make $100+ / hr working or $80/hr when stilling back wathing.

Its good to be the owner.

jtrice11
09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
The reason I asked is because my guys can work circles around me. I'm doing everything in my power to keep them busy and get work for them. I still work with them 50% of the time, but I can send them anywhere, give them instructions, and its done to perfection.

dbianchilndscpe
09-23-2005, 11:56 AM
Let's hope they don't have better people/business skills than you,because they won't need you for employment if that be the case

Turfdude
09-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Only BG. Chico runs circles around him!!

jgtxusa
09-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Some of you guys have pretty big egos. I bet your little guys with those big jacked up no good for working without a ladder to get to the bed trucks. My guys are better at most than me. I would sure hope so. Some are not as fast or as detailed now and then, but for the most part they are real good. Hope it stays that way. Keep your good employees and let the ones go right away that look like they wont work out. We are here in TX, the hardest working folks in the country live here. You can buy our bumper stickers in any of your local truck stops. Still have yet to see another states bumper sticker here in the great TEXAS. Just trying to get you guys excited.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Not yet thatís rare my old boss had that for 10 years was kind of funny the way that worked. If he went out cutting with me I would still run the crew drive the truck and trailer and use the lazer. If we did fall clean ups we would have 5 to 6 guys but instead of running the job he took his orders from me and let me do what I do best run a crew. It did not start out that way but over the years I became far better at mowing and most other landscaping operations such as hedge trimming then he did. I would kill for an owner quality employee because that what they are if they are better then you a guy capable of running his own company. Very difficult to get harder to keep in the end I knew I was not going to get a raise over the 20 an hour I made so if I wanted to go up I had to go on my own Dan still kicks himself for not offering a partnership when he could have ahh well now 30 months later I have 170 accounts he is down to 85 that stings.

jtrice11
09-24-2005, 12:41 PM
Let's hope they don't have better people/business skills than you,because they won't need you for employment if that be the case

That's the beautiful thing about these guys, all they want to do is work. THey have no interest in putting in the work it takes to do the books, invoicing, bidding jobs, fielding complaints etc...They just grab equipment and go to town. And they take pride in their work. Very rare. They don't have the capital to start their own outfit....yet.

walker-talker
09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I had a guy working for my a couple years ago that run the Z better than me. It took him a little more time, but less turf burns than me. I had a guy working for me in the summer that did an excellent job trimming. He would go around the concrete edges with the trimmer after he edged. I found this a little excessive, but it looked really nice. He left me to get a full time job and now I find myself doing the same on some properties.

jim d.
09-24-2005, 02:37 PM
He would go around the concrete edges with the trimmer after he edged. I found this a little excessive, but it looked really nice. He left me to get a full time job and now I find myself doing the same on some properties.A little off topic but I'm trying to learn a little here. What did he do with the trimmer after edging? Was he "topsiding", that is, going around the top of the grass to get blades stood up but not cut by the edger, or was he "edging" again with the trimmer to get stragglers left behind by the edger?

walker-talker
09-24-2005, 06:05 PM
A little off topic but I'm trying to learn a little here. What did he do with the trimmer after edging? Was he "topsiding", that is, going around the top of the grass to get blades stood up but not cut by the edger, or was he "edging" again with the trimmer to get stragglers left behind by the edger?
He was "topsiding" as you described. On some properties the edge is much higher that the top of the concrete, so it is not possible to put the edge of the mower on the top of the curb without scalping the turf.