PDA

View Full Version : when compression is gone, should i buy new?

lawnwizards
09-22-2005, 10:35 PM
i have an echo srm 210 trimmer and the compression is gone. is there anyway to fix it or should i just buy a new one? thanks for the responses.

all ferris
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM
buy a new one. A cylinder jug and piston cost too much.

lawnwizards
09-22-2005, 10:43 PM
buy a new one. A cylinder jug and piston cost too much.
thats all i needed to know... thanks for replying so fast.

procut
09-22-2005, 10:47 PM
I second all ferris, for something as in-expensive as a trimmer, its not worth it.

Dirty Water
09-22-2005, 10:51 PM
If you have never rebuilt an engine, buy a new one and sit that one aside for a rainy day, its a fun project, worth the money in my opinion just for the learning experience.

lawnwizards
09-22-2005, 10:54 PM
If you have never rebuilt an engine, buy a new one and sit that one aside for a rainy day, its a fun project, worth the money in my opinion just for the learning experience.
i have a 15hp kohler command thats gonna be my learning experience... tell me now before i start if i'm gonna be able to do it.....LOL

all ferris
09-22-2005, 10:58 PM
The time involved in the rebuild and the cost of a the parts????? Lets put it this way... by the time you rebuilt that thing you could have already cut a couple yards to help offset the cost of new vs. rebuild. You have to value your time also.

all ferris
09-22-2005, 11:02 PM
i have a 15hp kohler command thats gonna be my learning experience... tell me now before i start if i'm gonna be able to do it.....LOL

On something that costs as much as a new motor for a mower you would be better off to rebuild. The rebuild should be able to be accomplished in a day or less. Parts should be less than $100. The only real speciality tool you'll need to do this is a cylinder hone.

lawnwizards
09-22-2005, 11:05 PM
On something that costs as much as a new motor for a mower you would be better off to rebuild. The rebuild should be able to be accomplished in a day or less. Parts should be less than $100. The only real speciality tool you'll need to do this is a cylinder hone.
i've never done anything like this before... i'll have all winter to do it and i think it will be a good learning experience for me... plus, i'll have a back up motor just incase.....

Lawn Masters
09-23-2005, 01:53 AM
If you want to get rid of that trimmer, send it to me. I'll fix it up. normally, when compression is gone, what you need, is normally just rings, and possibly a piston if need be. pretty cheap.

topsites
09-23-2005, 03:47 AM
If you want to get rid of that trimmer, send it to me. I'll fix it up. normally, when compression is gone, what you need, is normally just rings, and possibly a piston if need be. pretty cheap.

I knew I kept my powerless Stihl for 3 more years for a reason :)

a a green
09-23-2005, 09:42 AM
as long as the cylinder jug is no ovaled out from heat....just rings will usually do....and the parts usually aren't that awful expensive.

GreenUtah
09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Echo also sells shortblocks for trimmers and stick edgers. Takes about 20 mins to make the swap of everything and you have brand new internals. It's undo the throttle cable, loosen the two bolts along the shaft, unplug the kill switch and remove. Two screws on the carb, 4 on the pull start and 4 on the muffler, swap em over and reassemble...off ya go.