PDA

View Full Version : Bag Worm Question

bob
09-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Is it too late in the season to spray Bag Worms? Are they still eating (sucking), or would I just be wasting time and product? Thanks

TOMMY1115
09-23-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's too late in the season to spray, should have been done back in June - July.

GreenUtah
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
agreed. They should be sprayed while they are active and as far as making a preventative type application for next year, this would be way too soon with most insecticide residuals only giving you about 30 days of control.

TforTexas
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Once they seal off their bags they are pretty tough to kill. You will want to pull off the old bags because the female never leaves the bag, the male emerges and fertilizes the eggs through the bag. So the bags from earlier in the summer carry the eggs for next year. So as disgusting as it sounds pick em and save some headaches next summer

B&B
09-23-2005, 10:59 PM
I have had bag worms at my home, spray in april or may an you will see good results. I have sprayed the bags with talstar & they never hatched out. Results may be different in your part of the country. You may have to pick all the bags off by hand & burn them & wait until middle spring & then spray.

MrH117
09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Is it too late in the season to spray Bag Worms? Are they still eating (sucking), or would I just be wasting time and product? Thanks

I'm in zone 6 midwest and bagworms begin hatching here in late spring. Its' best to spray for them in late may/early june. The problem if you wait is that they form their bags and this protects them from pesticides. Catch them before bag formation and you can bag the bagworms. Just a side note...it is the females that cause the problems....hmmm ..just like in my house!

bob
09-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Perhaps I should have elaborated a little more about my question. I got a call from a church about their bagworm problem. Before I went there, I posted the bagworm question. Yesterday, I went to the customer's site and looked at their bagworm problem. It appears that all the cocoons are empty. I told them that spraying them wouldn't help. I also said that the problem should be addressed next year in the spring.