PDA

View Full Version : NEW Open Cell Pavers, Grasscrete, Turfstone ...

joe hagerman
09-23-2005, 12:35 AM
I've been trying to develop a new paver product that will hopefully increase the adoption of open cell pavers by decreasing the cost and installation time, while increasing the survivability rate.

I'm interested in hearing the professionals' opinion and I have some questions.

What are your experiences with open cell, grasscrete, turfstone pavers?
How much do the pavers typically cost from a distributor, and how much do they cost installed?
Do customer's know about these pavers?

I appreciate your help, comments, expertise. My product is called BIOPAVERS, and consists of a modified open cell paver with a biodegradable mold prepackaged into the open cell of the paver. The mold includes compost, seeds, etc. Please send me your comments, interests, and references to get these new pavers sold.

WWW.BIOPAVER.COM

http://www.biopaver.com/icff/images/img_1725.jpg

Rex Mann
09-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Two years ago we installed Turfstone from Belgard.
We paid $1.19 a square foot, which included delivery.
We charged $3.35 a square foot. They supplied the
aggregate for the base, but we placed and compacted it.

We laid it all in 6 days with 7 guys on the ground and one on a machine.

Problems were with the landscaping contractor compacting them without
using plywood on top. The apertures were filled with screened granite.

Due to the size 16x24 quite a bit of breakage due to the flex in the unit.

Peace,

Rex

Paversinstalled.Com (http://paversinstalled.com)

neversatisfiedj
09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't like them

geoscaper
11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Hey rex what would be your ballpark figure for a 800sq ft area with the turfstone pavers. If you supplied all labor, materials, etc. Just curious. Thanks.

UNISCAPER
11-18-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't like open cell pavers for many reasons listed above. When they crack, you end up yanking htem out and replacing them and the time factor for that plus disposal needs to be added.

Cost for environmental type pavers range from $2.35 an sf to $4.10 per sf in our area, that includes delivery.

Because propogating seed and other plant materials in the pavers is difficult, the idea of bio-plastics and compost is good. But then there is one you perhaps had not considered. The bone head factor. I'm assuming most of this type of product will be used on commercial and municipal applications. The reason the dirt is placed in the cells is for drainage and run off. I have a hand painted picture of some supervisor not passing the final inspection thus holding the contractors money because the plastic is in the cell. So, I would need to know the average time for decomposition to propogation so i can factor in how much money I need to borrow to run the job until they can physically see the seeds and sign off so I get paid.

Dreams To Designs
11-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I prefer, EZ Roll™ Grassroad Paver™ by NDS. Much easier install, less money and more turf space. permeable pavers are a great idea, just not yet practical.

Kirk