PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Help On A Big Contract

ncmedic581
09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I've got the oppertunity to bid on a new subdivision in my area ( about 3 miles from my house). The area has 43 homes surronded by a brick and vinyl fence. The average lawn is between 350-450 sq ft. with two or three flower beds that area probabl 50-60 sq ft each. The contract must include:
Regular lawn maintenance-cut, trim, blow, weed flower beds
Annual Gutter Cleaning
Annual Pressure washing of all vinyl fences
Annual aeration
Servicing each irrigation system
Servicing landscape lighting
Spreading pine straw in beds once a year
Annual shrubbery trimming
Plus cutting all the areas not occupied by homes ex. around the perimeter fence and empty lots.
I've come up with a quote of approx $1,560 per yard a year. Do you think my price is close or way off. I'm not sure this is my first bid of this size. All opinions and input is appreciated.

Precision
09-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I've got the oppertunity to bid on a new subdivision in my area ( about 3 miles from my house). The area has 43 homes surronded by a brick and vinyl fence. The average lawn is between 350-450 sq ft. with two or three flower beds that area probabl 50-60 sq ft each. The contract must include:
Annual Gutter Cleaning
Annual aeration
Annual shrubbery trimming
Plus cutting all the areas not occupied by homes ex. around the perimeter fence and empty lots.
I've come up with a quote of approx $1,560 per yard a year. Do you think my price is close or way off. I'm not sure this is my first bid of this size. All opinions and input is appreciated.

The first thing you need to do is break out each option and view each of them as doing the entire neighborhood at once instead of a per lawn basis.

example. how long will it take to aerate the entire place times hourly rate NOT how long will it take to aerate one yard and price you normally charge.

The point is that you will be mowing, aerating, trimming shrubs as a unit (or at least you should) and that is how you should price. If you don't your competition will and you will be no where in the ballpark.

example 2
8 hours weekly x 32 weeks x $60 per hour

Annual Gutter Cleaning
12 hours x $100 per hour

60 hours x $100 per hour

Annual aeration

40 hours x $75 per hour

3 hours average per house x 43 houses x $100 per hour

105 hours average per house x 43 houses x $100 per hour

30 hours x 43 houses x $60 per hour

Annual shrubbery trimming (your really think they will only want them done once???????
30 hours x $100 hourly rate

put in a clause that you are paid incrementally more as these houses become occupied or some other way for them not to weasel out of paying for upkeep on these "new houses"

Add up the groups then divide by number of months in your active season and that is your monthly amount for billing purposes.