PDA

View Full Version : Good bye dixie chopper, hello scag.

Sir mowsalot
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
I have been going back and forth and back and forth again as to which mower to get. Even last nite i thought a good chance of Ferris. I made my decision this afternoon, i went up to the dealer to trade in the chopper on the scag tiger cub, this time i was certain, no more decisions, im done, yep its going to be tiger cub. So tomorrow morning i will pick up my scag wildcat. lol, yep i went with the wildcat, at the very last minute, just as the dealer was getting ready to write up the cub, i changed yet again to the wildcat. I just couldnt pass on the bigger engine and casters, and a few other better things on it, and it was only $1000 more than the cub anyway. I will miss the ole dixie chopper, its been good to me, and the fact it was paid for was even better, but its been nickel and diming me alot so i figured get rid of it while its still good enough to get a decent trade in value. I like dixie chopper they are a good machine, but they really need to update some things.

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Congrats on finally making the decision and congrats on the new purchase.
I'm the same way about equipment purchases.
I hope it serves you well.

Oh, and I don't think for a second that you will regret or miss the extra $1,000 you spent.

TURF DOCTOR
09-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Good luck we bought a wc this year can't beat the 25 horse power.

Sir mowsalot
09-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Congrats on finally making the decision and congrats on the new purchase.
I'm the same way about equipment purchases.
I hope it serves you well.

Oh, and I don't think for a second that you will regret or miss the extra $1,000 you spent.
thanks envy,
I did alot of researching on your posts about the lesco you bought, and for a while i was leaning that way, but because im not good at mechanical things, i have to rely on dealer support much more than most guys. Anyway, i checked into lescos official support mechanic they have around here, and he was pretty cocky, and unfreindly. Almost as if i was bothering him, so i figured the heck with it, even though i liked the lesco machine. The scag dealer im buying from is in the opposite direction and mostly out of my way, but i am impressed with him, and funny thing was, i happend to stop and talk to a lco today (he was on a ferris) and bought it from this same dealer, said he has fantastic support, and has been dealing there for over 10 years. So, it is worth the extra time to get there.

jgtxusa
09-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Good choice. I like the scags a lot. They will serve you well. Good luck.

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice to me.

As I am learning, service is not the same at ALL Lesco locations.

Good service and support is where it's at. Also, while I am not experienced with Scag, from what I've seen of them, I don't think you can go wrong with them either. I looked them over well a couple of years ago at a dealer about 200 miles from me, and the build looked very good.

Also, I understand that Scag was the best thing Dane Scag did, but I also saw some re-make similarities on the big Great Dane Chariots, which I have demoed, and liked. I would have strongly considered the WildCat and Turf Tiger if there was a dealer near me....

Sir mowsalot
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Even last nite i was leaning heavily toward the ferris 1500 (48" cut) but after searching some old posts on here, i happened across one of your old posts. In it you stated how you noticed those black pads behind the shocks and as soon as you saw them you walked away. Well, after reading this i went back today and looked for myself, and sure enough there they were ( i never saw them before). So i grabbed ahold and shook, and you guess it, they were moving front and backwards, right then i knew i would not own that machine. thanks again envy, your keen insight helped me out alot.
I already have scag wb, and i know how well built scags are, and the cut from the advantage deck is nothing short of perfect precision. My wb looks like it cuts with a lazer beam, hmmm, maybe scag should be the ones calling there models "lazer".

mcwlandscaping
09-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Kind of like me, i usually change my mind several times in the middle of a sale!! Parents hate it but the outcome is good. Love the story (kind of funny!) congratulations on the new mower!!

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Ferris 1500 v/s Scag.... not even a question.

I don't know what year your walk is, but I understand Scag has changed the Advantage deck a few times in the last few years. I don't know if the WildCat has a different deck than your walk, but if so, you did catch that right?

Sir mowsalot
09-23-2005, 11:34 PM
My wb scag is a 2003. I really dont know much about the changes in the advantage decks, so probably the wildcat deck is somewhat different than my wb. When i demoed the wildcat, it had that same looking cut my wb has. That precise perfect laser beam cut. Since i have been doing alot of searching old posts lately on z's, i cant remember if i read this or not, but i think someone said that if you remove the "turbo baffle" it will give better performance, but im not sure what they meant by "performance".

Envy Lawn Service
09-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Scag did have a curved front baffle, similar to eXmark but slightly different...
Then they changed to a single arc fron baffle sorta like the 7-Iron deck.

I also believe they did make some changes to the discharge opening.

Yeah, I remember reading about the turbo baffle... little kicker at the rear of the discharge mouth... changes discharge performance.

Mine is removeable on my Lesco also. I tried taking it out for side discharge because the Lesco has a very large and restrictive baffle/kicker. In heavy cutting I could hear it making a clanging sound and putting a lot of load on the engine. But when I remove it, clippings bridge across the rear of the discharge opening and eventually flip off. Same deal I've experienced in my own designing... wanted to NOT have that kicker/baffle.

My thoughts are that Scag has a slightly different opening than anything that I have been working with. I'm thinking cut back farther in the rear... actually farther into the arc portion of the right rear of the deck... I think you do or will understand what I'm saying (?)

Soupy
09-24-2005, 12:33 AM
I went from Dixie Chopper to Hustler. To give Dixie Chopper their deserved credit, they are great mowers. They just lack in to very important areas, and that is Hill holding (which I hear Scag is good like Hustler) and they do not have mulching capabilities. Other then that they are well built (best hydro's in the industry) and cut great. They gave birth to the OCDC which I could never live without.