PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

mbella
09-24-2005, 12:01 AM
This week, we were capping a stoop. Normally, we cut the faces off of block, build a support frame and adhere the faces. However, this time I wanted to try something different.

We cut the faces off of Mesa block. Then, we held them in place and drilled through and into the stoop. We then placed adhesive on the backs of the face pieces and screwed them to the stoop with 4" masonry screws. We countersunk the screws about 1/8", filled the holes with paver adhesive and smashed rock face into the adhesive filled holes until full. It worked like a charm. We saved time in labor and the cost of lumber.

What problems do you guys see with the way we did it? The finished product looks exactly like the stoop in the pics. It's a different house, but the same development, same size stoop and the same products. It was just done a different way.

MarcusLndscp
09-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Any problems with drilling them Mike? Did they crack or fracture at all while drilling or tightening the screws? This would be the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. If this wasn't an issue and it saved you time it sounds like you have a stronger hold on them with the addition of the screws.

mbella
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Mark, no problems at all and we drilled them within the top 3/4" of the block. We drilled them as close to the top as possible so that the bullnose would help hide any imperfections. The face pieces were about 2.5" thick.

Drew Gemma
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
what do you charge to train an individual on the ins and outs of hardscape, Your stuff is alwyas right on! Serious I was gonna go get icpi cert. but hell what do you charge?

mbella
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Drew, you don' want to learn from me. I am an impatient, demanding bastard.

mbella
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Drew, you don't want to learn from me. I am an impatient, demanding bastard.

olderthandirt
09-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Yep been up all nite with the baby, he's even repeating himself now :D :D

mbella
09-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Yeah, my reinforcement, voodoo nannyMac hasn['t arrived. I'm fading fast.

Drew Gemma
09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Drew = no patients, no room for error, perfection all the time I want to learn how to do the real stuff.

sheshovel
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
You have to have room for error and there is no such thing as perfection.It's fine to strive for perfection but perfection is only relative to who is looking at it at the time.Like take mbella's pics.
The capping is what I would say a great idea and a good option to offer customers who don't want to rip out and rebuild the stoop.And look great.
But in my opinion the stoop the walkway and the steps up to the stoop are too small for the house.
Also the planting beds are not in proportion to the huge face of the home.The home overpowers it all.

yrdandgardenhandyman
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
You have to have room for error and there is no such thing as perfection.It's fine to strive for perfection but perfection is only relative to who is looking at it at the time.Like take mbella's pics.
The capping is what I would say a great idea and a good option to offer customers who don't want to rip out and rebuild the stoop.And look great.
But in my opinion the stoop the walkway and the steps up to the stoop are too small for the house.
Also the planting beds are not in proportion to the huge face of the home.The home overpowers it all.

Maybe a couple of stone columns and a roof?

mbella
09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Sheshovel, I appreciate your honesty. My opinion differs, but I appreciate your honesty. There's nothing worse than blind compliments. I post pics on here to be critiqed by other professionals and I feel that most are honest. I like that.

Anyway, the homeowners wanted the stonework on the house to be the focal point, not the stoop. Also, the stoop and the foundation are monolithic. Tearing it out really wasn't an option. We have boxed out stoops before in order to change the dimensions or on a radius stoop, but this is a brand new house and in order to build it right, a ton of extra prep work would have had to be done. It would have become cost prohibitive just to "dress it up." Facing and capping the existing stoop are much more cost effective for a customer that just wants to "dress it up."

As far as the width of the steps, we did tear out the existing steps and make the new ones a little wider, but we didn't want to go too wide. Again, we didn't want these grand steps to take over the front of the house.

My one critique of the stoop in the pics is that the color appears a lot lighter than any of the colors on the house. However, anybody that works with this stone (EP Henry-Harvest blend) knows that it will weather and become darker over time, becoming a better match for the house.

The stoop in the pics isn't the one I was referring to when asking about our application. I only provided the pic as a visual reference to give an idea of what I was talking about.

kris
09-29-2005, 07:40 AM
As usual, great work mike. The walk does not look quite wide enough for me....How wide is it?

Also...the pine tree needs straightening :waving:

I think that most of us try to do the best we can do.... I'm not in the field much anymore but when I was I don't think there was ever one job that at the end I could say was perfect. Most times it was just something small that the average "joe" would never see but alway bugged me. You live and learn ...it never stops.

mbella
09-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Kris, the walk is 44" wide. I agree, I have yet to see a perfect install. Btw, the pines are a weeping white pine and a dragon's eye. Kind of hard to make them "straight".

Thanks for the input. Actually, I was sharing "how" we did the application. I wasn't really seeking opinions on what it looks like, but I appreciate any feedback. Again, that stoop in the pics is one we did earlier in the year, not the one on which we tried this new method.

sheshovel
09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Sorry mbella,diden't mean to critique...bad habit! :D

cgland
10-04-2005, 11:46 PM
What's the matter Mike? Afraid to take pics of your "new way"? I would like to see a closeup of your rock faced holes.

Chris

mbella
10-05-2005, 08:09 AM
What's the matter Mike? Afraid to take pics of your "new way"? I would like to see a closeup of your rock faced holes.

Chris

No, just didn't have the camera with me. Just for you, I will take a pic when I'm in that neighborhood today.

cgland
10-05-2005, 10:54 AM
I look forward to it.

chris