PDA

View Full Version : very first cutting w/ new wildcat. pictures

Sir mowsalot
09-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Here is a pic. of the very first cutting on my new wildcat. No striping kit on it, stock marbain blades.

Sir mowsalot
09-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Heres the wildcat. roll bar and seatbelts have got to go. that pic of the llawn didnt turn out to good. it looks better in person, or with a better photographer

mcwlandscaping
09-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Awsome, my exmark stripes like that stock too! Once again congratulations on the new toy and i hope it serves you well! Congrats! Also, i can tell you have a toro 21 WB on there but what is the other WB? Thanks,
Michael

rob1325
09-24-2005, 11:26 PM
One sweet machine! You will love it.

scagboy227
09-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Awsome, my exmark stripes like that stock too! Once again congratulations on the new toy and i hope it serves you well! Congrats! Also, i can tell you have a toro 21 WB on there but what is the other WB? Thanks,
Michael
i can tell the other wb on the trailer is a belt driven scag

Sir mowsalot
09-25-2005, 03:49 AM
scagboy,
yep, its a 48" cut scag belt drive w/ advantage deck. Since i got this wildcat, and traded in the dixie chopper, i really dont need my wb anymore, becuase the wc can handle the hills i have with my accounts. So im going to sell it on ebay maybe, or put an add in the paper , first $1,500 takes it(2003) with grass catcher. I have to call the dealer on monday, because i think somehow they got the wrong back tires on the wc. I looked in the catalog and it says they should be 24-12-12, and i have 23-9.5-12 which is what is on the cub according to what i can see in the catalog.
I couldnt beleive the difference in the ride between the scag and dixie chopper. My ars dont hurt as bad with the wc. You can just tell, it is one solid built machine.

mosmgras
09-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Nice stripes. Looks like you're in a drought there as well.

TURF DOCTOR
09-25-2005, 09:40 AM
You can't argue with proof scag makes 1 great machine nice stripes,

rob1325
09-25-2005, 10:57 AM
scagboy,
yep, its a 48" cut scag belt drive w/ advantage deck. Since i got this wildcat, and traded in the dixie chopper, i really dont need my wb anymore, becuase the wc can handle the hills i have with my accounts. So im going to sell it on ebay maybe, or put an add in the paper , first $1,500 takes it(2003) with grass catcher. I have to call the dealer on monday, because i think somehow they got the wrong back tires on the wc. I looked in the catalog and it says they should be 24-12-12, and i have 23-9.5-12 which is what is on the cub according to what i can see in the catalog.
I couldnt beleive the difference in the ride between the scag and dixie chopper. My ars dont hurt as bad with the wc. You can just tell, it is one solid built machine.

Those are the right tires on the machine. The bigger tires are for 61" deck. You can't put those big tires on 52", it will extend out past deck on each side. As for selling walk behind, do you have another mower if one machine breaks down. Also, you can't get the ZTr everywhere a walkbehind can. For 1,500 I would just keep it for spare or hard to reach areas you may get in future IMO. But if you have another spare then sell it.

MTR
09-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Here is a pic. of the very first cutting on my new wildcat. No striping kit on it, stock marbain blades.

What is your Wildcat model? 52"? and what engine? I am shopping for a Z also and would like to know you really cut that slope with your wild cat?
That is pretty decent slope and a good test for a Z to do that hill. Also, is your wild cat is shaft driven or belt driven?
How much did you pay for out the door, if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks
PS: sell that belt walk, and get another wild cat!

Sir mowsalot
09-25-2005, 01:30 PM
What is your Wildcat model? 52"? and what engine? I am shopping for a Z also and would like to know you really cut that slope with your wild cat?
That is pretty decent slope and a good test for a Z to do that hill. Also, is your wild cat is shaft driven or belt driven?
How much did you pay for out the door, if you don't mind sharing?
Thanks
PS: sell that belt walk, and get another wild cat!
The wildcat is 52" deck, with a kawi 25 h.p. The wildcat is belt driven. And yes, i really did cut that with the wc. You must understand, i went from a dixie chopper 60" to this wc, and there is no comparison as far as hills or cut. I will have to take another pic of a hill i just mowed this morning, it is alot steeper, and the wildcat never slipped it grabbed ahold like there was no tomorrow, and with the dixie chopper i couldnt even mow it, i had to use my walk behind. I am so happy i bought this machine, i really am. I paid $6,995. And the cut, my lord, what a cut. It is precision, which i knew it would be, because i have the wb that cuts the same way. This is the very best mower ive ever owned. If it holds up over time, i will never buy anything other than scag ever again. And i got a top notch dealer to boot.

Sir mowsalot
09-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Those are the right tires on the machine. The bigger tires are for 61" deck. You can't put those big tires on 52", it will extend out past deck on each side. As for selling walk behind, do you have another mower if one machine breaks down. Also, you can't get the ZTr everywhere a walkbehind can. For 1,500 I would just keep it for spare or hard to reach areas you may get in future IMO. But if you have another spare then sell it.
rob,
Thanks for the info. I kinda thought i had it screwed up and not the dealer. I kept looking over and over in the catalog, and i couldnt tell for sure, so thanks. I really dont want to sell the wb, but i could use the $1500 towards some leaf cleanup equipment.

MTR
09-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Sirmowslot, would you mind measuring with tape your deck width (discharge chute up please) I would like to know the exact width, so I can figure out trailer space and arrangement if I want to go with Scag thing.
Also, how is 25 kawi performing? Have you ever considered Kohler 27 over Kawi?

Sir mowsalot
09-26-2005, 06:20 AM
mtr,
I measured 53 1/4". With the 25 kawi i have more than enough power. I never had the 27 kohler so i really couldnt comment on it. Ive had other kohlers and they treated me great.

MTR
09-26-2005, 11:46 AM
mtr,
I measured 53 1/4". With the 25 kawi i have more than enough power. I never had the 27 kohler so i really couldnt comment on it. Ive had other kohlers and they treated me great.

How did you manage to pay $ 6995? I just got quoted from a major local Scag dealer on the wild cat 52/25 kawi @ $ 8699 ! Also , they said new line up of 06 is coming next month and price might also go higher! They quoted me on a 52" /27 Turf Tiger (shaft-driven) @ $ 9599!
It seems like I have to shop for a low hr used unit cause I don't do financing just have money for 1 pay.

Garth
09-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Not bad at all.

Sir mowsalot
09-26-2005, 12:31 PM
How did you manage to pay $ 6995? I just got quoted from a major local Scag dealer on the wild cat 52/25 kawi @ $ 8699 ! Also , they said new line up of 06 is coming next month and price might also go higher! They quoted me on a 52" /27 Turf Tiger (shaft-driven) @ $ 9599!
It seems like I have to shop for a low hr used unit cause I don't do financing just have money for 1 pay.
Mtr,
Wow, you got quoted that much for one? You prolly would freak if i told you what he is selling the 60" cut for. Well, it is $7,295. I wouldve bought that 60 inch but i wanted to go with the 52 because most of my lawns are smaller type residentials, just a few big ones. The dealer wants to sell them off because of gettin the 06's. I knew i was gettin a good deal just didnt realize how good i guess. The other dealers around here wanted $7495 for the 52" cut.

Envy Lawn Service
09-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Just wondering if you cut the diagonal pattern angling up/down he slope with the Wildcat also?

Sir mowsalot
09-26-2005, 08:55 PM
envy,
Yea, the diagonal pattern was with the wildcat. The up and down was from 2 weeks ago with the dixie choper.

Envy Lawn Service
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
envy,
Yea, the diagonal pattern was with the wildcat. The up and down was from 2 weeks ago with the dixie choper.

That's cool. Your hill there and the way you cut it is a very good example of some of the off-camber slope positions I end up cutting. Now most of the guys here will not "own-up" to it... but from what I can tell about how the hill looks, most guys would struggle to cut that slope that way with their ZTR. Particularly the down stripes inside the oval. Including your Scag, I can count on one hand how many stock ZTR's would hang on crossing down that crest at an angle in the dry without breaking loose and going straight down nose first.

Looks like it does real well on hills... especially that being one of your first cuts.

Sir mowsalot
09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
That's cool. Your hill there and the way you cut it is a very good example of some of the off-camber slope positions I end up cutting. Now most of the guys here will not "own-up" to it... but from what I can tell about how the hill looks, most guys would struggle to cut that slope that way with their ZTR. Particularly the down stripes inside the oval. Including your Scag, I can count on one hand how many stock ZTR's would hang on crossing down that crest at an angle in the dry without breaking loose and going straight down nose first.

Looks like it does real well on hills... especially that being one of your first cuts.
I might have somewhat of an obscured opinion about how well this machine does on a hill, because my former z was a dixie chopper, and of course that is about as bad as they come as far as hills go, but i was out mowing today, and i was on another hill much steeper than the one shown, and i experimented somewhat , and i could not beleive the grip i was able to attain. i am going to try and stop by tomorrow and take a picture of it to post on here. I didnt have my camera today. btw, i sold the wb today, and of all people to buy it, it was an amishman. go figure.

Envy Lawn Service
09-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I might have somewhat of an obscured opinion about how well this machine does on a hill, because my former z was a dixie chopper, and of course that is about as bad as they come as far as hills go, but i was out mowing today, and i was on another hill much steeper than the one shown, and i experimented somewhat , and i could not beleive the grip i was able to attain. i am going to try and stop by tomorrow and take a picture of it to post on here. I didnt have my camera today. btw, i sold the wb today, and of all people to buy it, it was an amishman. go figure.

Nah... it does well. As I said, not many would handle that without slipping.

I look forward to seeing the other pics.

milo
09-26-2005, 11:30 PM
hi guys if you think those hills are steep i got to take pics of some of the hills i do. i must be a nut...
i have a yazoo and thats perty good on hills, but you bought one of the best mowers out there.. scags are built so solid.. i used to have 2 turf tigers and they never gave me any trouble at all with anything. right now i dont even own a scag but i know they are the best mower out there. good choice :D

Envy Lawn Service
09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey Milo :waving:

That hill ain't real steep. Just a difficult, uneven, double angle, and those often get the best of most Z's... especially at the difficult down diagonal angle he cut it. It would also trip up some if you came straight down mowing that uneven off-camber /

Anyways, you think 'big red' could hang those dark down diagonal stripes leading to the sign post? Maybe-maybe not. Right where it comes down off that crown is questionable for the majority.

Anyways, no doubt steeper stuff can be cut with care on Z's...
I just know and see the tricky spots in that picture.

I have some driveways I mow along that are a real challenge, yet they are not nearly as all-out steep as some of the places I mow without issue. One of them, the Lesco has been the only Z to hang it....

The drive is raised, the turf slopes down and away on both sides. Going down on the right side, the turf is sloped off to the right ending at a barb-wire fence... and downhill... so you are going downhill slanted right \ and the drive takes a long swooping right hand turn.

So you reach a point where you are slanted right, traveling downhill, and your front tires start to reach the inside face of the bowl of the turn. Most mowers loose it before there and those that don't take a nose dive for the barb wire!!!

I would attempt that on a twin-stick Country Clipper, and maybe a diesel if I could build the confidence.... everything else.... forget it.... I'd even be too nervous to try a Hustler ATZ on it.

MTR
09-27-2005, 01:49 AM
What is the difference between a 52" wild cat and a 52" Tiger Cub? (new 54" TC coming out). Engine diff between 23 & 25 hp? Anybody knows? I know that Turf Tiger has shaft driven that why it is the beast.

Sir mowsalot
09-27-2005, 06:32 AM
What is the difference between a 52" wild cat and a 52" Tiger Cub? (new 54" TC coming out). Engine diff between 23 & 25 hp? Anybody knows? I know that Turf Tiger has shaft driven that why it is the beast.
mtr,
The 52"cub stilll has smaller casters, lesser seat,, and has either the kawi 23hp, or honda 24 hp, as opposed to the 25 kawi wildcat.

milo
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I Would Not Do A Hill Like That On My Zhp But On Everything Else I Have I Would. My Zhp Would Just Slide Down.
I Wish My Lawns Were Still That Green. Mine Are All Brown. Bad Season.. No Rain

MTR
09-27-2005, 02:34 PM
mtr,
The 52"cub stilll has smaller casters, lesser seat,, and has either the kawi 23hp, or honda 24 hp, as opposed to the 25 kawi wildcat.

Is your wildcat drive tires 24x12-12 or 23x9.5-12? So you think a bigger casters have somewhat make wildcat a hill-hugger? I am really interested in this 52" wildcat but the price is killing down here.

Sir mowsalot
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Is your wildcat drive tires 24x12-12 or 23x9.5-12? So you think a bigger casters have somewhat make wildcat a hill-hugger? I am really interested in this 52" wildcat but the price is killing down here.
I have the 23x9.5-12 tires. I dont think the bigger casters really matter as far as hills go, but they sure make for a smoother ride, and curb climbing. I happend to see some dealer have brand new wildcats on ebay at $7295 i think. that was last week, you could check it, and just see. I still cant get over the cut im getting with this thing. Ive said it so many times, but it is so precise. I had the scag wb, and the dc rider, and everyday i could compare the two different cuts, and the wb always looked so much better. If i had no comparison i'd say the dc cut great, it striped nice, but in comparison its cut was scraggly. Another advantage with the wildcat compared to my dc is im now able to "feather" the cut at the crest of a hill.

Wayne Landscaping
09-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah, i took the roll bar off of my tiger cub. Its so much better, and looks a lot better.

Sir mowsalot
09-29-2005, 05:17 PM
I said i was going to get a picture of the one steep lawn i have , so here it is. The wildcat stuck to this hill like glue. I love this machine.

Sir mowsalot
09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
I forgot to mentiion this hill was soaking wet when i mowed it. It just got done raining. Look at the bottom of the pic and you can see the road is wet.

MOOSE
09-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm very impressed with that machine. Nice looking lawn too.
Way to go Sir mowsalot

TURF DOCTOR
09-29-2005, 08:05 PM
The turf tiger over the wildcat is shaft driven, bigger hydro pumps 16cc, nicer seat,

MTR
09-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I said i was going to get a picture of the one steep lawn i have , so here it is. The wildcat stuck to this hill like glue. I love this machine.

I have like 5 accounts with hill just like that! I have thought and thought how I am gonna increase my productivity running only TTHP as I can't use without wb on these properties. Now, I have some answers. Awesome cut.
You really run up and down criss-cross like that on the hill, obviously you did? Wouldn't it tip over?
Man, I wish I could see you mow real time...

Sir mowsalot
09-29-2005, 09:45 PM
I have like 5 accounts with hill just like that! I have thought and thought how I am gonna increase my productivity running only TTHP as I can't use without wb on these properties. Now, I have some answers. Awesome cut.
You really run up and down criss-cross like that on the hill, obviously you did? Wouldn't it tip over?
Man, I wish I could see you mow real time...

Yes, i really ran up and down criss-cross on this hill with the wildcat, and keep in mind that this grass was soaking wet, it just got done raining about five minutes before i started cutting. This is why i was able to sell my wb. I dont need it anymore at least for now. This machine definately will increase your productivity. I know how hard it is to make a decision on a new z, this is why i have been documenting my experience so it lets people see what a wildcat can do on hills and what the cut looks like. Maybe this machine aint right for everyone, but i sure like it. Remember this setup is with stock marbain blades and no striping kit.

JMB
09-29-2005, 09:59 PM
Excellent cut!!
I have got my eye on a new Turf Tiger 60'' with the 29 Kawi efi, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have been to three different dealers and they are all within $100.00 of each other. I can't make up my mind whether to go ahead and get it or wait and see what the 06 models to offer. I demoed the Tiger last week on some 6" high Bermuda and native grass and I was really impressed, especially on the hills.

Sir mowsalot
09-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Excellent cut!!
I have got my eye on a new Turf Tiger 60'' with the 29 Kawi efi, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have been to three different dealers and they are all within $100.00 of each other. I can't make up my mind whether to go ahead and get it or wait and see what the 06 models to offer. I demoed the Tiger last week on some 6" high Bermuda and native grass and I was really impressed, especially on the hills.
I didnt demo the turf tiger because i needed a compact, but if ever i can justify needing a bigger mower its a sure bet it will be a turf tiger. What did you think of the actual cut? Amazing isnt it? Its so precise, it looks like it was cut with a lazer beam.

JMB
09-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Yes, the cut is awesome. I demoed an eXmark at the same dealer and definately like the Scag better. The dealer didn't try to sway me one way or the other, he just explained the differences in the two machines and then insisted that I demo both of them.
The lazer is a great machine but it didn't "blow me away" like the Tiger did.

The first one I looked at was the Wildcat, but if you look at the specs., there isn't that much difference in them in the size. I don't have a clue why they call the Wildcat a compact. If you go with the 52" deck on the Tiger, the width is the same and it is only 2 inches longer.

Turf Tiger 60"
Width 72"
Length 87.5

Turf Tiger 52"
Width 63"
Length 82.5"

Wildcat 52"
Width 63"
Length 80.2

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 12:20 AM
So, have you experimented with the baffling at all yet?
I'm specifically interested in the discharge turbo baffle...
Curious of how the performance is with it out...

Also, I was hoping you would get more picture happy with the machine.
I'd really like a good clear view of what the new discharge opening looks like.

Tony12
10-08-2005, 09:51 PM

check out Rogers located in up state SC (http://www.lawncaredealers.com/piedmont/) go to the classifed section he has 5 2005 Turf Tigers 61/27 for $7999.00 plus some other units and brands, as he wants to make room for 06 models, when I saw this I called him, man he makes me want to dip into my 401K.

Sir mowsalot
10-08-2005, 09:57 PM
So, have you experimented with the baffling at all yet?
I'm specifically interested in the discharge turbo baffle...
Curious of how the performance is with it out...

Also, I was hoping you would get more picture happy with the machine.
I'd really like a good clear view of what the new discharge opening looks like.
Envy,
I have not experimented with the baffling yet. I am going to take off the turbo baffle this week and see how it discharges and cuts without it. I will try and get some close up pics for you of the discharge opening.

Envy Lawn Service
10-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Cool... I will keep my eyes peeled for that.

By the way, how is front end blowout on your deck?
I'm wondering if yours looks like this underneath and if those fins on the front baffle cut blowout.

http://www.scag.com/images/a-deck-underside.jpg

S man
10-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Sirmows alot are you a Noble of Camelot. Just kidding and great looking mower. I'll get one some day when I get some serious business.

Envy Lawn Service
11-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Bump time.....

Eurosport
12-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm interested about how your wildcat has been holding up after the first months of use. Still really pleased with it?

Envy Lawn Service
12-05-2005, 09:18 PM
I think he has just forgotten all about the 'little people' since getting his new mid-evil chariot.

green acres lawns
12-05-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't know about his wildcat, but my 52" tiger cub(24 hp honda) is doing great. I have 300+ hours on it with only normal maintenance. I have installed the clam shell bagger for leaf clean up. I also have the 24-12-12 tires and rims. They do not extend out past the deck as someone said. I have the scag mulching blades on it so I can take the blower belt off and mulch the leaves into tiny pieces then put the belt back on and pick up the excess.