PDA

View Full Version : To drop or not?

Frontier-Lawn
09-24-2005, 11:53 AM
ok i have one client with a sego. i sprayed some wasp killer on the leave side due to a wasp nest since i was weeding that bed. i come back 2 days latter to finsh some hedge trimming i was doing. the leaves on one side droped. ladys not happy, i would not ether & wonts me to replace it if it dies at my cost. i said i would trim off the dead leaves. so the next cut 3 more drop. so wed i had ric take a look at it on a consultation. it has scale and a fungus in the crown & needs fert. he spray scale killer on it and did not have anything with him for the fungis. ric gave it 50/50. so if it dies she'll think i did it and want me to replace it. so if it does die. should i drop her? 1) i dont have the money to replace a plant that was not my fault it died. 2)i dont get that much from mowing her lawn. yes i could up sell her possibly on fert for the lawn & shrubs to make more, but 1800lawncare does the grass only thou. also this was one of my 1st clients.

J&R
09-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Find out how much the shrub cost. and charge her that price for doing away with the wasps. Then give her the shrub.

Fantasy Lawns
09-24-2005, 02:17 PM
http://acs.ifas.ufl.edu/Photos.htm

Does it have the Asian Scale ??? White crusty looking

The wasp spray did not kill the plant ....acually some wasp feed on the Scale

If it has Asian Cycad Scale ... you'll have to remove ALL the frons, clean out the surrounding mulch.... look to the surround neighboors to see if their Sago has the white crusty Scale

Depending on size .... a small 7 gal Sago is bout $25

ed2hess
09-24-2005, 04:30 PM
If you sprayed for wasp that wasn't the problem but the spray probably burned the plant. Buy here another one they cost less than $80, explain that you think it was the scale and don't think you should have to pay the entire amount. If it is a good customer they will pay the bulk.

yrdandgardenhandyman
09-24-2005, 06:53 PM
ok i have one client with a sego. i sprayed some wasp killer on the leave side due to a wasp nest since i was weeding that bed. i come back 2 days latter to finsh some hedge trimming i was doing. the leaves on one side droped. ladys not happy, i would not ether & wonts me to replace it if it dies at my cost. i said i would trim off the dead leaves. so the next cut 3 more drop. so wed i had ric take a look at it on a consultation. it has scale and a fungus in the crown & needs fert. he spray scale killer on it and did not have anything with him for the fungis. ric gave it 50/50. so if it dies she'll think i did it and want me to replace it. so if it does die. should i drop her? 1) i dont have the money to replace a plant that was not my fault it died. 2)i dont get that much from mowing her lawn. yes i could up sell her possibly on fert for the lawn & shrubs to make more, but 1800lawncare does the grass only thou. also this was one of my 1st clients.

That's easy. If it was the scale that is killing it, point that out to her. I wouldn't pay for it. If she isn't satisfied, drop her like a live hornets nest. I see potentially nightmarish problems in the future if you keep her. PITA

Oh, and don't forget to charge her for killing the hornets nest. $25.00 ought to be enough for that kind of chemical application.

Frontier-Lawn
09-24-2005, 07:51 PM
well ric treated it with the stinky stuff. and shes not going to like next year her price goes up $5 a week. and i sprayed it with spectriced pro. and for Fantasy Lawns a $25 one is 1/2 the size smaller of the one i have at her place.

befnme
09-24-2005, 09:48 PM
even though it wasn't your fault think of it like this:
some guy walks by your truck and scratches it some how and walks off and you dont see him.then when you finally come to that side of your vehicle and theres a kid standing there with his bike whats the first thing you think."hey this kid scratched my truck" and now even though he didnt do it he is to blame.thats prob how she feels.you were there just before this happened so naturaly she thinks you did it. walk a mile in her shoes then explain the situation maybe she will understand.

mosmgras
09-25-2005, 04:07 AM
Find out how much the shrub cost. and charge her that price for doing away with the wasps. Then give her the shrub.

That idea rules!

Frontier-Lawn
09-25-2005, 11:04 AM
hell why dont i just charge $25 for the new plant install :D

Kate Butler
09-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I was under the impression that the primary solution to the Asian scale was to remove the plant and a substantial amount of soil with it because the roots are also a vector for the critters. And not to replant with the same thing because of possible soil contamination to the new plant.

Precision
09-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I was under the impression that the primary solution to the Asian scale was to remove the plant and a substantial amount of soil with it because the roots are also a vector for the critters. And not to replant with the same thing because of possible soil contamination to the new plant.

scale can be killed/contained on sego palms with horticultural oil. As was stated you need to ball the plant to remove as much of the scale as possible and to make sure the oil covers all remaining scale. There is also a preventatvie poison that can be applied to the ground that lasts up to a year. But I don't remember what it is. Many around here have good luck with that treatment.

daveintoledo
09-25-2005, 07:32 PM

and we have the winner...

Frontier-Lawn
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
**** UPDATE****

wednesday i get back a payment from her for the nov cuts and a note saying im not getting the rest of my money for the hedge trimming until 1 i replace the sego 2 i recut one hedge from 5' to 2' high. same day, i sent her a letter back (thats is attached). so she leaves a message saying she just forget it. and shes glad shes paid up thou nov. im now typing up a new letter droping her immediately and all moneys paid for lawn service will pay her pastdue balance and late fees from that also. :dizzy:

so how would you guys handle this? :help:

OH; and bobbygedd thanks for telling me in febuary to make them pay one month forward before signing. that has help in this problem. :waving:

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I would have it in writing, signed and dated

Frontier-Lawn
10-07-2005, 03:22 PM
heres the last page of my contract read #9

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Do they have to sign and date a copy for your records? If not she's gonna claim she knew nothing about the policy. If you have a signed copy get all that is owed you

Frontier-Lawn
10-07-2005, 03:57 PM
well she should but her house is a mess inside. when she signed the contract 4 months ago she just threw it on a pile of papers on a table. ;)

Precision
10-07-2005, 06:28 PM
suggestion, spell check if you are gonna send that letter

Butt = but

heard = herd

otherwise drill the non-payers into the ground.

I currently have one who thinks she can right bad checks and go unpunished. This tuesday she gets reported to the States Attorney, who loves prosecuting. Last lawn guy took out the mail box (found out from the neighbor) I am taking her to school.

This isn't your average dope with a mower and a crack habit. I know the law.

Frontier-Lawn
10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
my mother in law proofed it for me. heres the final draft.

olderthandirt
10-07-2005, 06:36 PM
well she should but her house is a mess inside. when she signed the contract 4 months ago she just threw it on a pile of papers on a table.

No, do you have a copy with her signature and date on it ????

Frontier-Lawn
10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
the middle page is the page that has areas to sign.

Ric
10-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Yo Members

I went to Venice and meant with Dave (Frontier Lawns) we looked at many of his customer properties. This lady included. He told me about the Sego Scale ahead of time and I brought a Back Pack of a very good chemical to treat it with. I also treated a Japtropha with Cotton scale. I took no money for this and suggested that Dave charge her for the treatment. Dave did buy me Dinner for my time.

Dave is new in the business and should make it. He does acceptable work and I feel with a little more marketing should build a nice route. we spend several hours together talking nothing but Business and I have seen some posts by him that tells me he was listening to what I had to say.

Back to the PITA. When you are a start up and trying to build accounts in always hurts to drop one. But what kind of accounts are you trying to build was one of my questions to Dave. Knowing Dave from our meeting I feel he has a good attitude and back his decision to drop her no matter how much it hurts. I hope Dave does well because he is a good guy and seeing him take my advise is a real ego boost.