PDA

View Full Version : If I have this, do I need to kill completely?

eruuska
09-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Talking to a guy about his lawn today, he has a beautiful lawn, mainly KBG, but he's upset that some other type of grass is creeping in.

He had his lawn installed 5 years ago, and about 2 years ago this stuff showed up. It's appearing in patches all over his lawn. It appears to be some sort of zoysia-like grass, but I'm looking for a firm ID on it.

Am I wrong that to get rid of it I'll have to spray glyphosate and reseed? The big question, then, is whether to spot spray, or just to completely kill the lawn and slit seed the whole thing.

Is it too late (zone 5) to reseed a lawn now? I wouldn't mind getting a job this size now, I could use the extra work before leaf season gets here in earnest.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Dallas Turf
09-24-2005, 05:51 PM
That looks to be bermuda grass.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but why are northern guys so afraid of it and why not use it as a lawn it is extremely drought tolerant, and I have seen field trial report somewhere that it has survivability in NJ or will it not hold up to the winters? If green grass in the winter is desired it can be overseeded.

Thanks

lawnservice
09-24-2005, 07:18 PM
i dunno,
looks like Bent grass

LonniesLawns
09-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Bermuda grass is not well suited for zoen 5 because of its long dormancy period and suceptibility to disease.

LonniesLawns
09-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Edited post -- of above -- but timed out.

Bermuda grass is not well suited for zone 5 because of its long dormancy period and suceptibility to disease. In a mixed bag lawn of c3 and c4 -- nutrients can be hard to manage and for several months look liek a patchwork of brown and green.

To get rid of bermuda -- easiest way is spray entire lawn with glyphosphate 2x. Timing would have been better 8 weeks ago -- however, I would still do it by spraying now and 1 week later and then seeding 1 day later.

Good chance bermuda will be coming back next year -- since it is not actively growing now. Will need to control with herbicide that will control bermuda in cool season grasses.

SodKing
09-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Its a creeping bentgrass. Yes you will need to round up and reseed as it crowds out the KBG.

GrazerZ
09-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Its a creeping bentgrass. Yes you will need to round up and reseed as it crowds out the KBG.
Ditto. Probably some sort of native Bent. I have been seeing it more and more even up this way.

osc
09-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Does not look anything like bentgrass to me. None of the bentgrass I have gets that long because we are mowing it at 3/16 of an inch so I may have trouble with the i.d. on 3 to 4 inch bent.

eruuska
09-24-2005, 11:22 PM
I talked to the client this evening, gave him the option of spot spraying with no guarantee of getting all of it, or Roundup and reseed. He chose the spot spray option and hired me to take care of his lawn apps for 2006, with the understanding that if I see more of it at any time, to feel free to spray it and reseed. He said he's okay with the notion of of getting rid of it over time. I suppose if I can't control it with spot spraying, we can discuss the "nuclear option" later.

Thanks to all you Bermuda grass experts! BTW, when I told him the consensus was that it was Bermuda grass, he wondered if he could dry it and sell it. I told him he had it confused with Jamaica grass. hehe

turf hokie
09-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Looks like bent to me....my lawns that have bent in them got crushed with disease. STill brown and matted down.

I round them up and slice seed in two directions 2 weeks later. If the customer is willing to deal with the process. Just be prepared for a lot of dead grass removal after the slice seeding. A lot of the bent will come up with the process.

Garth
09-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Looks more like Cynodon dactylon than Agrostis stolonifera. The inflorescences of Cynodon are upright and bear a terminal group of 3 to 7 spikes about two inches long. The panicles of creeping bentgrass are completely different from the flowering tops of Cynodon. They are closed most of the season which distinguishes this variety from colonial bentgrass. Do you have any pictures of the flowering tops?