PDA

View Full Version : WALLS

ROMAC
03-17-2001, 07:47 PM
What do you guys charge per face foot for railroad tie walls. thanks

SCL
03-17-2001, 10:43 PM
ROMAC
Is there any reason on God's green earth you are installing railroad ties? Look into some of the synthetic 6x6 products or green treat but alot of my retaining wall work is RR tie tear out and replacement with seg. concrete. Green treat around $12 a sq. ft. Concretes around $20. Just top of my head stuff. If you want more info on synthetics just let me know.

Rex Mann
03-18-2001, 04:02 PM
Romac

I could not charge enough to do rr ties or timbers. With us it's stone or nothing.

Rex

John Allin
03-18-2001, 04:45 PM
Three years ago we stopped doing walls with RR ties. Flat out refused to do them. Once we explain it to customers, they understand and agree. We even shy away from treated 6x6 timbers anymore too. Mostly modular block.

Lanelle
03-18-2001, 05:44 PM
I agree with John Allin. No RR ties, ever. With pressure-treated 6 x 6 timbers, you have to use rebar in the base course, 10" spikes, deadmen and drainage behind the wall, so you have to get at least 3x your material cost to cover the labor, do it right and make a profit. Now doesn't a concrete, segmental retaining wall sound better to your bottom line?

paul
03-18-2001, 08:39 PM
We install timbers :( Mostly for edges on play grounds, price vary but we are around $45 per tie.

The one thing I like about tie work we get to go back after 3 to 5 years and replace them with wall units:)