PDA

View Full Version : "REAL JOB"

Toy2
09-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey folks, had to break down and get a real job, weekly customers went to every two weeks, every two week customers went to once a month....anyway long story short, real job, real bennies.....30 days and all insurance kicks in, short, long, disability, dental, vision, etc........3 weeks paid time off the first of the year.....I pushed my mowing to the evenings and weekends....don't want to lose my customers.....its sad, but had to be done....wish everyone the best.... :D

Bulletproof
09-24-2005, 10:06 PM
No shame in that. Good luck with the new job! payup

lawnmaniac883
09-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Least you still make money on the side cutting grass.

olderthandirt
09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
You do what you have to do. Nothing to be ashamed of and in fact congrats for being a man and getting a job instead of sitting around whinning about how tough things are.
Best of Luck to you

befnme
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make ends meet.i just hope the guys on here dont start callin you a part time scrub or lowballer or something like that you know how they are.good luck.

skurkp
09-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I work for stewart & stevenson as a facilities maintenance leadman, I do this four days per week and mow on the weekends. This is not always easy with how mother nature does not always want me to mow on the weekends, but it pays the bills. I can tell you that the customers will continue coming, maybe not very fast but they will come and your business will pick up, then the hard decision comes, to take on more customers or not? Good luck to you. How was the weather there? I am located on the west side of houston and really got nothing, thank the Lord.

Besides I say that I work for Stewart and Stevenson as a hobby and mow for a living.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey nothing wrong with that at all and Ive came close to it twice this season and it still may happen. You do what you gotta do to pay the bills.

eyes&earsopen
09-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Hey I'm a newbie with only a few customers, but these are the threads that keep me level headed. I work for a major automotive company in their parts division, but I would like to leave for good. However, the more I read on here the more I see that I can't go anywhere and make things work how I need them to. But those couple of hours that I do work for me are great! It makes getting into this arena comfortable, but I am not too stressed if things don't work out for me short term.

eyes&earsopen
09-25-2005, 02:50 AM
Furthermore, while networking with some full time guys at my dealership I learned that most of the "big boys" in my area are part-time. So quickly I just had to realize that I can't start sky larking at my real job, and that bought me back to reality. Damn, things were starting to look so good. Now I have to revise my strategy, and make some better decisions.

goodgreen
09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm glad people on here offer honest assessments of their situation. I've been part-time in my lawn care business for over 5 years. But lately, my regular sales job has taken a nose dive because so many of my customers are automotive related suppliers (Michigan). I would quit my regular job today for lawn work, but it's so hard to give up the medical benefits, vacation time, etc. What it's starting to come down to is doing what I love. And I love working outside everyday. I will keep reading posts here to help with any ultimate decision. Probably will wait until next spring though before I make a move to full time.

ken754
09-25-2005, 09:20 PM
I work for one of the major airlines and with the condition of the industry I started mowing this year to help make up the cuts I had taken. I only had 4 accounts over the summer, but have now landed a builder with over 50 yards every 7-10 days. I work 4 ten hour days on night shift, so we mow during the day. I would like for this to turn into something were I could quit the airline industry. Nothing wrong with working two jobs to get ahead or just stay caught up. Seems to be the common thing anymore.

trying 2b organic
09-25-2005, 09:24 PM
I dont always love it but it was commercial contracts that allowed me to do this full time, something to consider.

Toy2
09-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Thanks for making this easy, I vowed not to work for the "man".....but $$ started running low and I have been unable to get more accounts, the Mexican guys here have the area covered pretty well, and low prices keep them working.....I kept think of ways to handle the fall, leaves, new mulch, etc....people here are keeping the extra $$ for gas money....I even thought of storm clean-up....x-mas lights....I wish I had started this early on in age, this way you build accounts as you go, if you don't like a customer, cut them lose, no loss to you....my ad is in the yellow pages, book came out a month ago, not one call, I talked to a big time LCO, he said Waco is a town where it's not what you know, but who you know.....this really helped.....I'm from N.M., anyway I will still plug away mowing, I really love my equipment(I need to get a life) so....I'm still looking at the Gravely 34 for next year.....I wish all of you the very best...I still enjoy getting on this site and seeing what you all are up to, be safe....and God bless America!!!

Toy2
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Okay folks.......said bye-bye to the real job......was employed for a month, was supposed to be moved closer to home in a short time......they changed their minds and needed me to stay at the Killeen location.....1 hour away....my 8 hour days turned into 10 hour days with the drive, then they wanted me to work OT, so the 10 hour days turned into 13 hours, I left in the dark and came home in the dark.....the funny thing is during the interview I told them about my mowing company, and they said no problem, you get out at 3pm so you still have time to mow.....I lost a couple of good mow jobs because of all that crap....I mowed yesterday, plus gave an estimate on metal edging....I'm just glad to be back....is that sick or what? If I have to eat beans and rice all winter, I will....besides I love beans anyway....I'm a beaner....its going to be tight.....but Oh well...the "man" sucks....:D

lawnworker
10-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Whoops, I didn't read the whole post. Anyways you might like my advice.

Yep, you gotta do what's best sometimes. I tell you with the crazy weather, there are days I dream about a job where I am not fighting plant growth or hoping for growth of plant life. Ahhh, owning a trendy coffe shop with some pretty young ladies as employees. That might work.

Good luck to you.