PDA

View Full Version : ICPI changes renewal of cert. to fee

mbella
09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Does anybody know why ICPI changed renewal of the cert. from earning continuing education credits to a monetary fee?

Rex Mann
09-24-2005, 10:49 PM
The committee could not come to an agreement of what CEU's should be and who should be able to get them. They were offering them on line, which some on the committee disagreed with. Personally, I felt the on line CEU's were to easy and basic. They wanted you to read a tech. spec; then answer a series of questions about it.

This issue has been in committee for 4-years now.

I would like to see them mandate a hands-on class for the actual laying of the pavers. I am certified through the ICPI to teach a base installation course, which is very hands on. I was certified two years ago at the meeting in Atlanta. I have never had any one want me to teach this class, however, I teach basic contractor certification class about ten times a year. Usually, the classes are during the Winter months back East and up North making an outside hands-on difficult.

I teach one in Phoenix every year, and we do a hands-on. Many more questions at the hands-on then in the class. A class I teach each year in Southern California has a Paver Olympics of sorts. Guess how many tons of aggregate and sand are in each pile, throw 3 shovelfuls of sand 25-feet away from a 5-gallon bucket and see who gets the most in, look at various pins of elevations with no instruments and tell what the deviation of the particular point is compared to the control point are some of the events.

If you want a louder voice, and you are not a voting member, become one or just attend the meeting twice a year. The concerns, ideas, initiatives, studies and testing they are currently discussing at meetings can literally take years to come to fruition. If anyone wants to be a valuable leader within the Segmental Concrete Pavement Industry become active in the ICPI.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com (http://paversinstalled.com)

mbella
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Rex, have site inspections ever been discussed as a higher level of asessment of one's abilities?

Rex Mann
09-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Yes, they have.

Something along the line of ICPI "Certified Field Installer".
They would pick 3 of your jobs over the last year at random.
Then go and inspect them. I have not heard any discussions
about that at the last two meetings. I have heard mention, however, no formal
committees have been created for this designation.

There would be a fee involved. Talk was around $2,500.00

Peace,

Rex

mbella
09-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Rex, definitely the direction I feel certs. need to go. However, a hard sell, especially at that price when local manufacturers do it for free. Site inspections by ICPI reps. might mean more to me or you, but the customers identify with the local manufacturer.

In my opinion, ICPI hasn't gained any ground (in my area) in creating a percieved value, by the consumer, of the basic certification. I don't understand how ICPI will be successful with advanced certification.

I can honestly say that none of our customers, this year, have expressed knowledge of ICPI. However, several have expressed knowledge of the EP Henry certification.

Rex Mann
09-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Mike,

You have to be behind the scenes and involved to see the subtle advances and changes the ICPI has and is making in our industry. They are doing significant marketing to consumers using various mediums. We use the ICPI logo in all our print advertising as required by Belgard to get my advertising dollars. That furthers the cause, subtle but exposed none-the-less.

I look at the ICPI as a support system, not a marketing organization. Part of our job is to tell prospects and clients about the ICPI. Hell. there are people in our industry who don't know or care about the ICPI.

Peace,

Rex

DVS Hardscaper
09-25-2005, 04:07 PM
I am upset that they are not making us do anything in regards to continuing education.

As I mentioned somewhere else, this pay money and you're renewed is how Rod & Gun clubs operate.

Sad.

Very Sad.

I am ICPI Certified, and my certification is up for renewal.

I have credits in place that were accopmlished before they implemented the 'just pay us off' policy.

I want my local contractors to have the education that I have, or they should not hold the certificate.