PDA

View Full Version : trenching for retaining walls

Guthrie&Co
09-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Whats the best and fastest was you guys have found to tench the footing for the retaining walls? I have just finished my last hand dig walls at 122 feet long. hand there has to be a better way...

mbella
09-24-2005, 10:24 PM
I use my L-35 or I sub to my friend who has a mini-x.

Guthrie&Co
09-25-2005, 12:31 PM
L-85? fill me in please
basicly what do i need to go rent when another one comes up? the mini x seems a bit large for the smaller walls. what could i use that would be able to handle curves and what not

mbella
09-25-2005, 01:01 PM
L-35 is a landscape sized backhoe/front end loader.

Dirty Water
09-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Case makes a very small Mini-X (The CX25) with a 12" bucket. A lot of rental stores have these. I love it, its perfect for digging out footings and clearing old landscape. Its too small for rock placement though.

I once pulled up about 35 junipers in an hour with it.

Guthrie&Co
09-26-2005, 10:16 AM
definatly sounds like this would be alot easier.

Squizzy246B
09-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Whats the best and fastest was you guys have found to tench the footing for the retaining walls? I have just finished my last hand dig walls at 122 feet long. hand there has to be a better way...

Our retaining walls footings are often 14" to 44" wide for large limestone blocks. Typically we use our Kubota KX 161-3 excavator (32" sand bucket - no teeth or 22" bucket with slip on cutting edge) with a guy on the laser staff directing, picking his nose and generally having a slack time. A good operator in the mini-X can get it very close.

We then finish level by hand but it can be one of the most time consuming tasks. Depending on the soil type (and rocks etc) I often set the laser 2" low for the excavator and run some clean brickies sand back in with the skid and we then compact and level. A plate compactor is a great leveller.

For big walls I have a magnetic laser receiver which goes on the skid bucket and we can get it damn near perfect with the machine.

Its time consuming and labour intensive but Rome was built on its foundations...and it took more than a day apparently.