PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen Won't Spray

Grandview
09-25-2005, 07:32 AM
My permagreen magnum will not spray. I checked the relief valve. It is not working. I am not sure why if it is not working why pressure won't go to the nozzles. I get some output but not much, a narrow pattern. I checked the inflow screen it is clear. There is flow into and out of the pump. IF I take the relief valve off I get good flow out of that hose. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will be calling Permagreen Monday morning. It stopped Saturday morning with a full day planned. Has anybody had a pump stop working. Is it a good idea to keep one on hand. I keep belts on hand. I like the machine, but it has these little breakdowns. I had my pull cord break. I have 240 hours on the machine. I bought it this spring. Was wondering what else might go wrong as the hours increase. I am thinking of getting a second one as a backup. I can't afford the down time.

MrBarefoot
09-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Check the screens in the spray tips and make sure they are not clogged also.

Some pumps have issues with Speedzone so if you are using that you will need to get a certain pump.

Have you replaced any of the shut off valves recently?

I run a PG Ultra and it had a lot of breakdowns this year also.

Pull start cord broke, spray pump wore out, throttle cable snapped, neutral safety switch broke. And some smaller issues like border hole shut off cable broke, but at least I can still work with that.

The point is I sympathize with your problems.

Grandview
09-25-2005, 08:47 AM
I checked the screens at the tips, they are clear. When I take the tips off and spray, I get some flow but not what it should be. I am trying to isolate the problem. It maybe a bad pump also. I have been spraying mostly Three-Ways. Used less than one 2.5 gal of Surge and maybe 1/2 gal of Confront. The pump belts seem to wear quickly. I am on my third one, and it needs doesnt look so good. I have one on order.

turf hokie
09-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I have the ultra and we found that sometimes the entire nozzle set-up needs to be replaced. Apparantly they get clogged in the housing and cannot be cleaned.

I have had to replace the nozzles, pump, 3rd hole shutoff (2x), deflector, clutch, impeller, and have a transaxle ordered b/c mine is leaking oil. It has 300 hours on it.

I don't even get frustrated with it any more. I bought a z spray for my big commercial and when my PG goes down I use it on my residential as a back up.

teeca
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
I have the ultra and we found that sometimes the entire nozzle set-up needs to be replaced. Apparantly they get clogged in the housing and cannot be cleaned.

I have had to replace the nozzles, pump, 3rd hole shutoff (2x), deflector, clutch, impeller, and have a transaxle ordered b/c mine is leaking oil. It has 300 hours on it.

I don't even get frustrated with it any more. I bought a z spray for my big commercial and when my PG goes down I use it on my residential as a back up.

i bought a used ultra w/150 hrs. (now i have 225hrs) about 1 month ago. and ya i have had a few problems, like the P.O.S. Briggs engine (carburator, sure the engine is next), the P.O.S. Lesco Spreader, and the belt.. but the way i see it, it's better then walking.. perma green makes a good product, just the junk parts they put on it! this winter: 1st atv battery, 2nd flowjet 3.5gpm pump, 3rd anderson SR2000 hopper (junk the lesco), and 3rd replaceing the nozzel assm. (just for PM). all for less then $400. i tested the z-spray, and admit it is the ultimate, but i feel that the ultra will give more bang for the buck $2k vs. $8k ?? buy 4 used ultras to one z-spray. I AM NOT BASHING THE Z-SPRAY!! just found the ultra to best fit my needs (w/ a few modifications)

turf hokie
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
The ultra I got new cost me more like 5k and the largest z-spray which I got is around 8k so only 3k difference. I have a magnum hopper on my ultra, it;s working much better than the original hopper. Still not perfect though...

teeca
09-26-2005, 05:58 PM
ya, i bought mine used, figured it would cost a little $$ to keep it going.(honestly i'm very picky on what i have and that is why)

how does your ultra turn with that large hopper? i would think it would be like turning a truck w/o power steering!

i think compairing the z-spray and the ultra togeather is borderline apple/oranges. that both have their good pionts, just so happens that the z-spray has more.. granted i havent used the magnum, but i have to say that for the price, i would save a little longer and get the z-spray. but as far as going used, you can pick up the ultras cheap, and still be productive.

turf hokie
09-26-2005, 08:28 PM
The ultra and the magnum have the same frame, so mounting the magnum hopper was no problem. I rarely put more than 100 lbs in the hopper unless I have long straight aways. It is hard to turn if you load it up full.

Currinson
09-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Did you check the intake screen in the tank itself, it screws onto the intake hose??

Grandview
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Yes, I checked the intake screen. That was my first guess. This morning I checked the pump. I get gravity flow through the pump, but not much more when I run the sprayer. Permagreen is sending a new pump, spray belt, and check valve. How the parts are here tomorrow.

Grandview
09-28-2005, 06:47 AM
An update on my Permagreen Magnum. The new pump came yesterday. While removing the old pump, the pump pulley just fell off. The problem probably was not the pump, but a loose pulley. The set screw came loose. In the trouble shooting manual it does not mention this possibility nor did the company when I talked to them. The new pump came with a slightly larger pulley which is held in place by two larger set screws. The old pulley is held tight by one small set screw. With a larger pump pulley do I have to recalibrate my sprayer? Will output be reduced?

scweedman
09-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Would the z spray hopper work on a PG ultra? My hopper holes stop
up all the time!