PDA

View Full Version : Info for Exmark Metro 26" Owners

joed
09-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Below is the text of an email message sent to me by one of the engineers at Exmark. I have been in touch with him since July trying to get this unit to work properly. I thought I would share it with other Metro 26" owners on the site.

Within the next two weeks, we are planning on releasing an update kit. This update kit should help keep the grass from spitting out the bag. In addition, I suspect that it will improve the traction of the machine. If it does not or if you loose a gear completely, I think we have to look at the transmission.

The mulching baffle kit is still not approved for release. The baffle has offered us mixed results. We got it to mulch good on my property, and then another Service Rep. took it to his house and didnít think it mulched very well at all. By changing the location of the baffle, he was able to improve the mulching performance. We are trying to find the correct location under the deck where it works the best for most people on most properties. In addition, I know they plan on changing the design of the blade, but that takes time to design, build and test. If I can get my hands on something for you to test, I will, but I know we are running out of time this season. If we reach the end of the season and these problems are not resolved, we will have to sit down and evaluate our options. Some of these options may include sending the unit back to Exmark for further evaluation, trading it in for a Metro 21, or trading it in for another updated Metro 26. I donít know exactly what will happen if the problem doesnít get resolved by the end of the season, but we will do our best to come to a fair solution for everyone. If you do not hear anything from your dealer in regards to the new update kit by Sept. 30th, please e-mail me back.

Thank you,

Dustin Schwab

Exmark Customer Service

2101 Ashland Ave.

Beatrice, NE 68310

E-mail: dustin.schwab@exmark.com

Phone: 402/223-6212

Fax: 402/223-6223

Howard Roark
09-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Trade a $1400 mower for a $1000 21"?

Richard Martin
09-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Below is the text of an email message sent to me by one of the engineers at Exmark.
We got it to mulch good on my property, and then another Service Rep. took it to his house and didnít think it mulched very well at all. By changing the location of the baffle, he was able to improve the mulching performance. We are trying to find the correct location under the deck where it works the best for most people on most properties.

I'll take to my house and try it out and then you take it and try it out. If it works for both of us (in Nebraska) then we'll call it ready to cut grass for most people on most properties.

Now that's what I call "Field Testing". :rolleyes:

trying 2b organic
09-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Ya I like that. I imagined a big factory full of engineers in lab coats doing thousands of hrs of research. :help:

TURF DOCTOR
09-25-2005, 08:53 PM
1 thing i like about scag the kinks are out no downtime.

iluvscag
09-25-2005, 08:56 PM

Amen Brother. :)

Howard Roark
09-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Heard throught the grapevine that Exmark stopped production completely of these, and rightfully so. Cables are on big time backorder (I believe the Cable engineer should be fired faster than the "new coke is better" guy from the 80s).

Mulch capability?? Who honestly gives a crap?
This mower can't get up a 4 inch hill in thick turf. I say shoot it while it's leg is broken.

Complain enough and your rep will take em' back is what I heard, and SUGGEST. :realmad:

The customer is always right, yes? Well in this case we're the customer.

luv2fly
09-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Below is the text of an email message sent to me by one of the engineers at Exmark. I have been in touch with him since July trying to get this unit to work properly. I thought I would share it with other Metro 26" owners on the site.

Within the next two weeks, we are planning on releasing an update kit. This update kit should help keep the grass from spitting out the bag. In addition, I suspect that it will improve the traction of the machine. If it does not or if you loose a gear completely, I think we have to look at the transmission.

The mulching baffle kit is still not approved for release. The baffle has offered us mixed results. We got it to mulch good on my property, and then another Service Rep. took it to his house and didnít think it mulched very well at all. By changing the location of the baffle, he was able to improve the mulching performance. We are trying to find the correct location under the deck where it works the best for most people on most properties. In addition, I know they plan on changing the design of the blade, but that takes time to design, build and test. If I can get my hands on something for you to test, I will, but I know we are running out of time this season. If we reach the end of the season and these problems are not resolved, we will have to sit down and evaluate our options. Some of these options may include sending the unit back to Exmark for further evaluation, trading it in for a Metro 21, or trading it in for another updated Metro 26. I donít know exactly what will happen if the problem doesnít get resolved by the end of the season, but we will do our best to come to a fair solution for everyone. If you do not hear anything from your dealer in regards to the new update kit by Sept. 30th, please e-mail me back.

Thank you,

Dustin Schwab

Exmark Customer Service

2101 Ashland Ave.

Beatrice, NE 68310

E-mail: dustin.schwab@exmark.com

Phone: 402/223-6212

Fax: 402/223-6223

joed,

Thanks, for the update.

luv2fly

MikeLT1Z28
09-26-2005, 07:47 AM
customer isn't always right with exmark, that's my experience. After being charged double what i was told to replace the spindles on my lazer (2 book hours, agreed it would only be 1 hour), they didn't call me to tell me it would be more, waited and waited to get to it and then said it should have charged 6 hours for the work. They did not treat me right (all that i mentioned and then i think they put 3 people on it to call it 6 hours (3 men x 2 hours). I let exmark know and they agreed with them!

anyone care to guess how they removed (TORCHED) the old spindles off? and then charged 2 hours for it, didn't half put it back together right, took almost a week when he said it'd be 2 days at the most.

I informed exmark i would never buy another one of their machines and i mean it. this wasn't the first time i had a dealer screw me over and they supported the dealer on both occasions.

EXspyguy
09-26-2005, 08:26 AM

Have you never heard of a product called "turf runner"?

John Gamba
09-26-2005, 08:27 AM

Cougar :waving:

TURF DOCTOR
09-26-2005, 08:44 AM
No what's up with turf runner.

EXspyguy
09-26-2005, 03:04 PM
No what's up with turf runner.

The first year it was produced there were close to 30 hours of shop time to make the 18 service bulletins to fix it. And it still wasn't right!

Mowingman
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Along with this Exmark 26, it was probably one of the worst designed mowing machines ever put on the market in the last 15 or 20 years. And, it was a lot more money down the drain than this 26" is.

6'7 330
09-26-2005, 04:03 PM

We acquired one in 1997 that was a business mistake of monumental porportions.That machine was junk.The short time we endured that pos,The gearboxes that turns the blades went out. The least morning dew and it plugged up. Scag incorporated a side discharge that idiotic in retrospect. It worked by pulling a lever positioned by driver's seat. In wet conditions, the side discharge was useless; it was only about 6 inches wide. To say that machine was poorly designed, would be complimenting the pos.

dishboy
09-26-2005, 10:26 PM
I'll take to my house and try it out and then you take it and try it out. If it works for both of us (in Nebraska) then we'll call it ready to cut grass for most people on most properties.

Now that's what I call "Field Testing". :rolleyes:

The problem these guys are not going to overcome is Exmark blew the deck design. Much to shallow on the left side for mulching. I have tryed about every combination of baffles and deflectors and locations under that deck and it is only a B mulcher in tall thick grass, if you get it make leaves go away, then I loose the mulching ability and QOC degrades. Unfortunitly as a mulcher this mower will never stack up to the toro proline or exmark 36 TTHP.

Add the fact that this mower can't even pull itself up my trailer without a push the smartest thing Exmark can do is start anew and replace sold units, or refund cash or a variation of a refund. If they are concerned about their reputation and want to forgo litigation on a grand scale this needs to happen in short order.