PDA

View Full Version : Different Ways to Bid Mulch

Tn Lawn Man
09-25-2005, 01:50 PM
I spoken to other LCO's and have tried different methods myself.

So, I decided to see how the rest of the world believes their customers like mulch to be bidded.

When I bid small mulch jobs, 15 yards or less, I just give the customer the final price and that is that.

However, when it comes to large mulch jobs (25 yards or more) I have tried as well as seen it done different ways.

One way is like above. You figure a price and give it to them.

Another way is to quote how much you charge per yard and then give them an estimate of how many yards you think the job will be.

I have even heard of LCOs just giving the the price per yard without giving an estimated total yardage needed.

I have two questions.

1. How does your company bid the large jobs?

2. Which method has been best received by the clients?

It is always interesting to see what works in different parts of the country.

topsites
09-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I always bid by the yard, large or small, thou I must admit the largest job I ever bid involved 22 yards and it took 20 or 30 minutes to walk around and add it up several times in a row to make sure the figures matched.

I suppose it gets to a point you have to understand how many yards are needed per certain amount of square footage and then you simply divide the area by yards/acre but I've never had THAT big an area myself.

I usually add it up by the yard first, then again by counting wheel-barrows, knowing roughly how much a yard will cover and also how much one barrow is worth on the ground, remembering that to me, 6-7 barrows = 1 yard.

It's all in the practice, I think the more you do it, the better you get.

Tn Lawn Man
09-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Bump....I am really interested in everyone's thoughts about this topic. Thank you for the replies so far. Keep em coming.