PDA

View Full Version : getting into the sprayin side-need a little help

westTNlawncare
09-25-2005, 11:15 PM
ok i work at a golf course as the spray tech, i mow yards when i leave there in the afternoons and at night i am going to school(majoring in horticulture). i know pretty much what to spray and when to spray, but what im wondering is how to charge a person for spraying. any help would be greatly appreciated.

DLS1
09-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Get a large and small spray company to give you an estimate to spray your yard and a relative(s) yard(s) that is a different size than yours. You can then try to determine price per 1,000 sq ft. from the estimates.

There cost and overhead will be different than yours but at least you have a idea how much you can charge and still get customers.

Ric
09-26-2005, 12:26 AM
ok i work at a golf course as the spray tech, i mow yards when i leave there in the afternoons and at night i am going to school(majoring in horticulture). i know pretty much what to spray and when to spray, but what im wondering is how to charge a person for spraying. any help would be greatly appreciated.

West

I would suggest that first you decide on a program that fills the needs of most of your customer. After that go price shopping for all the chemical that you will need to make those application. using the Highest price you find, Figure out the price per thousand of each of these chemical and then the total cost per application of each round. Next find the cost per hour of your time. This would include the Insurance and License fee per year plus your own pay to include Labor burden of taxes. You will also want to consider Equipment cost including your truck, plus truck insurance and driving time. add in a over spray and materials loss of about 10% and then add it a profit margin.

Once you know your true cost of application you will never lose a bid again. You may not get that bid, but you won't lose money on it either. Knowing you true cost, compare it to what others of similar size and quality are charging. Are you competitive??? This numbers Game should be played before you ever spend the first penny in going into business, NO Matter what the business.

PS don't try to compete with True Green on Price. Do it on quality, there's stinks

Mscotrid
09-26-2005, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=Ric]West

I would suggest that first you decide on a program that fills the needs of most of your customer. After that go price shopping for all the chemical that you will need to make those application. using the Highest price you find, Figure out the price per thousand of each of these chemical and then the total cost per application of each round. Next find the cost per hour of your time. This would include the Insurance and License fee per year plus your own pay to include Labor burden of taxes. You will also want to consider Equipment cost including your truck, plus truck insurance and driving time. add in a over spray and materials loss of about 10% and then add it a profit margin.

Once you know your true cost of application you will never lose a bid again. You may not get that bid, but you won't lose money on it either. Knowing you true cost, compare it to what others of similar size and quality are charging. Are you competitive??? This numbers Game should be played before you ever spend the first penny in going into business, NO Matter what the business.

I think Ric said it all.

Also dont forget hot looking desperate housewives and people who own land you can hunt should receive a discount...lol

westTNlawncare
09-26-2005, 05:54 PM
thanks mscotrid, thats the best info for anyone- find desperate housewives and land u can hunt on! thanks for the help guys

Ric
09-26-2005, 06:04 PM
thanks mscotrid, thats the best info for anyone- find desperate housewives and land u can hunt on! thanks for the help guys

Yes West you are welcome, fool.