PDA

View Full Version : MAZDA tune-up help

Varsity L&G
09-26-2005, 11:23 AM
OK, the truck was running fine other then a little hesitation when over 3/4 throttle.

So i decided to do a tune-up.
replaced: air filter, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, dist cap, rotor button, coil.

Now the truck barely runs, lucky if it starts. Have replaced the plugs and wires twice now with different brads and double even triple checked the gaps.

Here is the odd thing. All plugs are firring, but when I unplug either 2 or 4 nothing happens, but when I unplug 1 or 3 the engine shutters and dies.

Timing is Good, and coil was not replaced until after the tune-up and the problems had started. I have swapped everything out for the old stuff except for the plug wires and still same issue. I returned wires for another set different brand still no luck.

ANY IDEA's

Dirty Water
09-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I believe its possible to put the distributor rotor on 180 degrees from its correct location on those trucks.

Double check that.

Varsity L&G
09-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Thought that might have been the issue as well. I have check that with both the new and old button.

hosejockey2002
09-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Have you checked to make sure the firing order is correct? It sounds like it's just running on 1 and 3.

Varsity L&G
09-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Yes, I think it is 1-3-4-2. I have checked it several times. Will be checking it again when I get home tonight.

I agree it acts like it is only firing on 1 & 3.

lawnmaniac883
09-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Maybe the dist cap assy is loose sitting on top of the engine, make sure the timing is set correctly and tighten those bolts.

topsites
09-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I believe its possible to put the distributor rotor on 180 degrees from its correct location on those trucks.

Double check that.

On that note I think it's more likely 2 of the wires are crossed, heh

Being that it's a 4-cylinder, the most common config is 4-1-2-3 but no it's not the only one. So let me see:
4-1-2-3
1-3-4-2
hmmm.... well there's NO correlation there.
By the way, how about The spark plug gap should be 0.039 - 0.043 inches (1.0 - 1.1 mm). I got that from:
http://www.thinkythings.org/p5/plugsandwires.html
Where it agrees it is 1-3-4-2...
Check it out, guy's got pics and all...

You COULD, since suspect it's only running on 1 and 3, reverse 2 and 4 wires at the plug and see what happens but check the gap and read that page at thinkythings, maybe that helps.
Worth a shot to then crank it and see, then go back to square one if no improvement before it skru's something up royal.
Good luck.

Varsity L&G
09-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Problem solved.

I had the 2 & 4 plug wires reversed.

Thanks guys.