PDA

View Full Version : Break In Period?

TWUllc
09-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Is there a break in period thats recommended for New trucks (3/4ton) before you can start pulling a trailer, or can you drive off the lot and hook one up and it won't bother it at all? I'm going to call my salesman this week, but it's been on my mind all day, and I figured I'd see if anyone had an aswer. I want to break the truck in anyway, before I hook a trailer up on it, but wasn't sure if its necessary.

Smalltimer1
09-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Most trucks need a 1000 mile engine, transmission and axle break in period before doing any heavy towing. Some say 500 miles and others 1000. Mostly it is for the engine's rings to seat properly and for the fluids to circulate through their respective circuits and get up to normal operating temperatures. and condition specific components.

lawnmaniac883
09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
This break in period before you TOW is recommended because the ring and pinions need to mesh together before heavy use. Although towing is not recommended for around 1000 miles, light towing will not hurt. If this is going to be a diesel, the 1000 miles will be necessary for ring and pinion as well as rod bearings, crank bearings and piston rings. Good luck!

turfmgr
09-27-2005, 08:34 PM
they say in the owners manuals that after the initial break in, that the engine will perform at a higher lever if broken in after the 1000 or so under heavy loads. at least thats what it said in my cummins manual.

lawnmaniac883
09-28-2005, 05:55 PM
The break in period as I listed is really for the rear ring and pinion to mesh correctly. The engine will break in on its own but pulling heavy loads will help, only pull heavy after 1000 miles to prevent overheating or seizing your ring and pinion.