PDA

View Full Version : Help with Moles (((Please)))

mike28nc
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Hello all,

I am a home owner that is being over ran with moles. I have tracks all over the yard. What is the best thing I can use to kill them? I have a dog so I dont want something that he can get into. I was looking for something that I can spray and keep the dog off the grass for a couple days and they are gone. Anything out there that can help me. You can reach me at mikelamb68@hotmail.com or on chat mike28nc on aim or yahoo. you can also reply to this and I will check it daily. I want to get rid of the moles before this winter so next spring it is fresh season.

Mike Lamb

Mscotrid
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
talpirid mole bait is the best thing to use for mole control. Available thru Lesco. Check out www.Talpirid.com.

DLS1
09-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Check your hardware or nursery. There are a few products for moles but can't of the name for them.

John Gamba
09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Use merit every year. it will kill there food.

John

Garth
09-26-2005, 06:20 PM
I agree that Talpirid is the best thing for the job. It's a bit expensive and requires a license but the stuff is the first bait formulated specifically for moles. With their incredibly fast metabolism, most moles are voracious but only for earthworms. Talpirid mimics both the feel and texture of earthworms and because it is a rapid acting toxin kills the mole instead of sickening it which makes it bait shy. Traps have very limited success and require both skill and luck.

Mscotrid
09-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Use merit every year. it will kill there food.

John
John,

You're partially right. The grub worm is a food source but contrary to common public misconception and retail quick answer philosophy their primary food source is earthworms. Too chemically control earthworms apply Sevins. Personally unless out of control the earthworm is more beneficial than harmful to the turf.

John Gamba
09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
John,

You're partially right. The grub worm is a food source but contrary to common public misconception and retail quick answer philosophy their primary food source is earthworms. Too chemically control earthworms apply Sevins. Personally unless out of control the earthworm is more beneficial than harmful to the turf.

He should try the merit first!!!!! Then tell us what happend.

John

shiveslandcsaping
09-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Dig a 1' x 1' x 1' deep of turf up and examine and determine if you have a grub problem first.

Tscape
09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Dig a 1' x 1' x 1' deep of turf up and examine and determine if you have a grub problem first.

10 grubs per sq. ft. = problem

eruuska
09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Talpirid. Nuff said.

Other baits just don't work. Moles would rather starve than eat them. Even when they eat them it usually won't kill them.

Get rid of the grubs with Merit, that solves only part of the problem. Like the previous poster said, don't kill earthworms unless they are a REAL BIG problem.

Find someone in your area who uses Talpirid, and knows how to use it. I've had good success with it. Kills 'em dead! :gunsfirin

Runner
09-26-2005, 11:45 PM
You're not going to use Merit (Imadicloprid) at this time of year, anyway. It is much too late. This is designed to catch grubs in their first and second instar when they first reach these. It kills them in their infant stage. Once they get bigger, it takes more active ingredient to do the same thing. Just like if you give 2 shots of whiskey to an infant child, you can kill them, but if you give two shots to an adult or teen, it won't. Try something like Dylox but you usually have to go heavier than the labeled rate....I don't know why they label stuff like this so it doesn't work (Dylox recommended rate) but they do.

John Gamba
09-27-2005, 08:01 AM
You're not going to use Merit (Imadicloprid) at this time of year, anyway. It is much too late. This is designed to catch grubs in their first and second instar when they first reach these. It kills them in their infant stage. Once they get bigger, it takes more active ingredient to do the same thing. Just like if you give 2 shots of whiskey to an infant child, you can kill them, but if you give two shots to an adult or teen, it won't. Try something like Dylox but you usually have to go heavier than the labeled rate....I don't know why they label stuff like this so it doesn't work (Dylox recommended rate) but they do.

Try this now then get them in spring with the merit.

Tscape
09-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Try this now then get them in spring with the merit.

Very late spring.....maybe. More like early summer for the next generation. Spring is not the time for Merit.

John Gamba
09-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Very late spring.....maybe. More like early summer for the next generation. Spring is not the time for Merit.

Sorry :dizzy: I hate winter :realmad: So i'm thinking spring already :angel:

He will be on the right track by doing this.

John

mike28nc
10-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Just did a search on the internet. I can not get Talpirid in NC because of it is banned. Now what should I try. I called TrueGreen and asked them. They said they can not spray for it either. This is getting very bad. The first time I have good yard in 4 years and it looks like a messed up race track.

Mike

Green Pastures
10-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Dude drive to a Lesco in Virginia, buy some Talparid and use it..........

Just kidding.....

indyturf
10-25-2005, 11:44 PM
you may be able to buy talprid on-line, try e-bay I believe I saw it on there!

qps
10-26-2005, 12:19 AM
you may be able to buy talprid on-line, try e-bay I believe I saw it on there!

Yes, they do have it on e-bay....using merit to kill the food source...ever heard of IPM???

Mscotrid
10-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Yes, they do have it on e-bay....using merit to kill the food source...ever heard of IPM???

QPS,

I think many of us are familar with IPM...Intergrated Pest Management. How would you apply that too Moles? Are your recommending Merit? or am I misunderstanding your post.

qps
10-26-2005, 07:07 PM
QPS,

I think many of us are familar with IPM...Intergrated Pest Management. How would you apply that too Moles? Are your recommending Merit? or am I misunderstanding your post.

NO.....my point was why target several pest when your dealing with one (moles) try the traps or the the mole baits..maybe easier to use merit, but totally unnecessary in my opinion

TforTexas
10-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Merit will not control moles!!! I have had moles in numerous grub free merit treated lawns. Moles # food source is earthworms, and I'm sorry merit will just not do anything for earthworm. Back in the day of diazinon 14g it was true if you treated the lawn for grubs that the moles would go away. But that was because the 14g also killed the earthworms and maybe even the mole itself that is why we no longer have the use of it. Using merit is IPM it will control the target pest and nothing else. Now maybe on a lawn that had very little earthworm population the use of merit discouraged mole activity because with no worms available the mole was forced to eat grubs and so it appeared to work for you in that situation but it is not a very good strategy overall.

Runner
10-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I totally agree with this above post.

TURF DOCTOR
11-01-2005, 11:23 PM
We have used dylox from lesco and this stuff kills the grubs.

Boycea
11-02-2005, 05:22 AM
Lesco also sells a gel that you inject into the mole holes. The moles eat this and then die. The last time I purchased it, it was around $15.00