PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Sandbur

FCS Services
09-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello - The answer to this question is probably someplace in here but there are just too many pages to go through.

How can I control and or get rid of grassy sandburr in buffalo grass??

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks
Frank

Mscotrid
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Check the label on Confront, not sure if sand-bur is on it but it is the best herbicide for Buffalo grass. I know Pendimethalin is labeled for sand-bur as a Pre-E application but not sure on the rates.

ArizPestWeed
09-27-2005, 12:32 AM
I've always wanted to go to Kanas City .
I've heard the girls are good lookin there .
Is this true ?
Would you know ?
Any photos of some .
I've looked on the internet , can't find any .

Buy some Glyfosate 41% and mix .5 oz per gal .
Test a small area .
It should kill the Sand Burr only .

Next year , try 2 or more kinds of premergent like Surflan and Barracade or what ever is good a controling grasses .

Now , how 'both some pics ??

Garth
09-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Sandburs or grassbur, is Cenchrus echinatus and is in the Gramineae (Poaceae) family which are grasses. Quote,"For post-emergent field sandbur (grassbur) control, use MSMA or DSMA. These products will do a good job of controlling the field sandbur (grassbur) when it is young. As the sandbur (grassbur) matures, it becomes more difficult to obtain effective control with MSMA or DSMA. A few years ago, I discovered that by mixing some Imazaquin ( Image ) with the MSMA you could enhance the control of field sandbur (grassbur). The rate for this mixture is 2.0 lbs. active ingredient per acre of MSMA plus .38 lbs. active ingredient per acre of Image. For example, if using Greenlight's MSMA Crabgrass Killer use 2 Tbsp. per gallon of water and add Cyanamide's Image at 6 Tbsp. per gallon of water. The gallon of spray should cover 1,000 square feet. Remember, MSMA cannot be used on St. Augustine or Centipede lawns. For these turfgrass areas, you will have to rely on the use of a pre-emergent herbicide."(end quote) This information is from James McAfee, Phd, Associate Professor-Turfgrasses. University of Texas.

FCS Services
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the help - this will some avenues to try - thanks

FCS Services
09-27-2005, 11:58 AM
arizweedhead - Never been to KC.. I'm on the other side of the state..

Mscotrid
09-27-2005, 12:53 PM
FCS,

Garth is very informative as usual. Check the labels on those products they could burn the buffalo which is sensitive to herbicide. No doubt they will clean out the sandbur which is your main concern. You might have to reseed next year to fill in the damaged turf.

ArizPestWeed
09-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Msma , I forgot about it .
Still , Sand Burrs are very easy to kill with .5 oz per gallon of water .
Glyfo is a PGR at a low rate for many plants and will kill others at this rate .
It my kill only the sand burrs and nothin else